S2 SC HB versus Zach Myers SC HB Question

David Grantham

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Zach Myers SC semi-hollow body is chambered like the S2 SC semi-hollwbody guitar? I realize that they are different scale lengths. Thanks for any help. : )

Last edited:
I'm guessing no-one here has both. Or if they do, have no idea how to check out the chambering. I know I wouldn't really know what to look for, other than "hmm, yep, cavity inside guitar through f-hole looks a bit hollow".

Maybe someone like Hunter from PRS can provide some info, once he recovers from returning from NAMM.

I have an S2 SC Semi-Hollow and a friend from work has the Zach Myers SE. Looking through the f-hole, they both look the same but I can't see much and don't know how to really tell the difference.

The ZM SE body is actually thicker than your typical PRS singlecut. But from the one I was playing the other day (mine's on order), it's hollowed out the same as the S2 one I played.

The ZM SE body is actually thicker than your typical PRS singlecut. But from the one I was playing the other day (mine's on order), it's hollowed out the same as the S2 one I played.
That's interesting, I didn't realize that it was thicker than the solid typical PRS single cut. I have a second Zack on its way to me next week. The thing that has sold me about the Zack versus the S2 Is the wide-fat smooth neck. Swapping out the electronics and tuners on the Zack seems to make sense as an upgrade. Im curious though if there's any disadvantage to having a Maple laminate on top of a maple cap? The S2 would be a solid top. Its probably not a problem as many of the ES Gibby's are laminate.

Last edited:
Im curious though if there's any disadvantage to having a Maple veneer on top of a maple cap?

Sort of depends on whether you believe, which I do IMHO, that tonewood has any effect on the tone of the instrument. I think a mahogany body has a different sound than a mahogany body with a maple cap. Kind of like, which do you prefer type of thing, I guess. YMMV, etc... . But I wouldn't think of it as a disadvantage, just a personal preference.

Sort of depends on whether you believe, which I do IMHO, that tonewood has any effect on the tone of the instrument. I think a mahogany body has a different sound than a mahogany body with a maple cap. Kind of like, which do you prefer type of thing, I guess. YMMV, etc... . But I wouldn't think of it as a disadvantage, just a personal preference.

That's a really good point! Thanks
I've also noticed that the now discontinued SE semi hollow PRS is a bit louder acoustically than my Zach. Perhaps having the extra horn contributes to its volume increase.

Last edited:
Back