S2 raised cavity covers vs. Core flat covers

Korina Jack

It probably wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me but it would be great if the S2 line could finish their backs like the core models. Convince me why it’s that way. Cost? Maybe but I doubt it with all the CNC?

Last edited:
For an S2 owner (Vela) who does not have cavities on the back of their PRS and is in lockdown so cannot go look at guitars ... Can you post pics please so that I can see the difference?

I have core, Se, and S2 instruments. The back plates are all done differently. The core are flush with the back surface of the guitar, and the SE and S2 are surface mounted. I always end up edge beveling the SE back plates, I find that they catch on my shirt buttons, belt loops and belt. No big deal. The S2 back plates are very nicely edge beveled so they don’t catch on anything. There’s no magic to CNC machines and they don’t make everything free of charge, so let’s get past that in a hurry. They do mindless, repetitive tasks with amazing uniformity. The real value in the S2 line is the amazing wood, neck and fretwork that is done largely by hand. I love my mine and gig them regularly. It seems your assumption is that everything can be done cheaper and faster by machine, so that the S2’s should be made the same way as the core in the details. In order to bring the high quality mass manufactured S2’s to market at the right price point, every detail has to be thought out to save money on the little things that add up. The guitar must be made in a certain amount of time, because really, ”time is money“. You can’t touch the S2 bang for the buck, and I’ve played guitars that cost twice as much and offered half the quality. The fit and finish are amazing. If the back plates are a deal breaker for you, so be it. Just know that everyone in the factory is doing everything possible to bring a high quality instrument to market at roughly half the price of the core instruments we love. And screw the back plates if it means an extra 5 minutes of time on the neck. The necks are excellent.

My Vela is a fantastic beast... I echo dogrockets view that the quality of the S2’s is amazing... The neck is just so comfortable and has that feel of quality about it that’s difficult to explain. If I were to buy PRS with a back plate, I doubt if it not being flush would stop me buying one

I found on my S2 that it dosen't bother me at all, and I was expecting it to be slightly annoying at first. Only time I even remember they aren't recessed is when I wipe down the guitar at the end of a session.

I'm not sure I ever gave the backplate on any of my guitars more than a passing glance, except to see what color it was. Or if I put it on upside down. I'm going to have to do some serious research when I get home today. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever put the one back on my parts caster.

My CE plates are top mounted and not beveled, yet my 2006 SE is nice and flush. Can’t say I really thought of that before right now. I do have some mahogany covers for the CE that I’ve been meaning to finish, maybe I’ll bevel them first.

The whole purpose of the S2 line was to put a PRS instrument at a certain price point. To hit that point it appears the extra time needed for the hands on portion of construction to recess the control plates was not in the equation, so the line has surface mounted covers. I can't recall hearing too much negative about it.

Convince me why it’s that way. Cost? Maybe but I doubt it with all the CNC?

It’s labor. You gotta sand the recesses and it’s super easy to burn through those areas when buffing.

If you consider how thin PRS finishes are now, there’s a ton of prep work and sanding done between the parts coming out of the CNC machine, assembly, base coat, and top coat.

They do it that way because it saves time on the production of the guitar
thereby enabling them to bring the guitar in at a certain price point.
The scarf joint at the headstock serves the same purpose,
as do the bevels. They take less time than the violin carve.

(I prefer the bevels by a wide margin, but that's just me.)

Yet another reason to love the SE245.;)
GE9wGBi.jpg

It’s labor. You gotta sand the recesses and it’s super easy to burn through those areas when buffing.

If you consider how thin PRS finishes are now, there’s a ton of prep work and sanding done between the parts coming out of the CNC machine, assembly, base coat, and top coat.

excellent info! Thanks Serg!

My Vela is a fantastic beast... I echo dogrockets view that the quality of the S2’s is amazing... The neck is just so comfortable and has that feel of quality about it that’s difficult to explain. If I were to buy PRS with a back plate, I doubt if it not being flush would stop me buying one

The Vela has been on my mind!!!

When I bought my S2 I was expecting it to annoy me, too, but I genuinely forgot about it within about 5 minutes of playing.

Probably down to distraction at how much better the S2 satins are compared to other $1000 guitars, but still...

Update: the parts caster has a backplate. My Am St is strangely missing hers. Suspect children with too much freedom. My Core is intact, resting comfortably in spite of all the battle scars.

Back