S2 Pickups vs Core

drdoom8793

THAT guy at Chick-fil-A
Hey everyone! I was just curious if anyone had compared the S2 pickups to their Core counterparts. For instance, I have an S2 Custom 24, which has the S2 HFS/VB set. I'm wondering if there would be much, if anything, to gain from upgrading to the core set. I play a lot of hard rock type music and overall enjoy the S2 pickups, but at times they can be a bit 2 dimensional tonally. I was thinking that I might gain a bit more tonal complexity while staying in the same vein of higher output pickups by upgrading to the Core HFS/VB. Any experience comparing/suggestions?

I don't have core pickups to compare them to, but compared to the Seymour Duncan pickups in my two Les Paul guitars, the S2 pickups seem to lack definition.

I believe the s2 pickups are Korean made and not really all that much like their US counterparts. Either way they are definitely missing a lot of "presence" as well as the lows, so I'll be yanking them out of mine and replacing them with a Jazz neck and a 59 trembucker bridge.

I have an S2 Custom 24 with S2 HFS/VB and a CE24 with core HFS/VB.

Although the guitar woods & neck joint are different, I find both pickup sets balanced, with no muddyness in the neck, and plenty of grind at the bridge.

I certainly don't find that there would be any need to 'upgrade' to the core set on my S2.

They do seem very similar... to me

I have an S2 Custom 24 with S2 HFS/VB and a CE24 with core HFS/VB.

Although the guitar woods & neck joint are different, I find both pickup sets balanced, with no muddyness in the neck, and plenty of grind at the bridge.

I certainly don't find that there would be any need to 'upgrade' to the core set on my S2.

They do seem very similar... to me

I just ordered a Satin S2 24. I don't like changing out pickups, although I have when it becomes so obvious to me that it needs to be done. I am hoping the stock pickups sound good. If they do not, I am unsure what will replace them.

Back