S2 Number 7 Pickups...I'm liking them

DogPhishHead

I've read "oh, they're dark, muddy...blah, blah". After 30 minutes with my newest addition (full NGD post/pics coming) I found them nicely different from the 57/08s in my McCarty. Rich, nice mids, the bridge has a sweet "Kerrang" mid push. I did have to screw the pole pieces down (prior owner had them raised to just barely resting under the strings (o_O) and they were fairly gunk covered. Maybe the real fix was the cleaning them and then burnishing them with a 3M pad to remove that polished chrome look - oh do they look so much better on the guitar now.

I've read "oh, they're dark, muddy...blah, blah". After 30 minutes with my newest addition (full NGD post/pics coming) I found them nicely different from the 57/08s in my McCarty. Rich, nice mids, the bridge has a sweet "Kerrang" mid push. I did have to screw the pole pieces down (prior owner had them raised to just barely resting under the strings (o_O) and they were fairly gunk covered. Maybe the real fix was the cleaning them and then burnishing them with a 3M pad to remove that polished chrome look - oh do they look so much better on the guitar now.

Nice!

I don’t find them dark at all, in fact I switched out the bridge on my Standard 22 because it was a little too... I won’t say bright, but more nasal than I preferred. And I can’t even say it was in a bad way, I think a country player or other styles would love it, just was almost too up-front for hard rock. I did also recently change out the neck #7 on my S2 CU22 Semi, because it was too thick sounding, but I’m 99% positive that’s more of a “tone of the guitar” thing. In fact, I think any normal Humbucker would’ve been that way, so I went to a Filtertron style. They’ve got character, for sure, but in the right spot they’re fantastic.

I really like #7 pickups. I have them in a singlecut and would never change them out. PRS does a lot to refine and improve their pickups and I think #7s still hang in there with the newer greats

yep, they like a maple cap, I am now enjoying mine in a different guitar than they came in :cool:

Back