S2 Neck question

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
OK, I could reply and ask PRS customer support again, but rather than bother them I figured I'd see if y'all know the answer. The one thing that surprised me when I asked customer service about the specs of my 2014 S2 CU22 is that the reply said "Standard Neck Profile". I thought S2s were always Pattern Regular, with the exception of the 594. Did they start out with the older profiles and go Pattern later?

I don't have much of an answer for you, but I found this on their site. I've been looking into neck profiles a lot lately too. This is interesting stuff to me too.

FORMER NECK SHAPES
The Regular (sometimes called Standard) neck is a round neck shape that is 1/32 narrower and not quite as thick front to back as our Wide Fat neck.

If I'm reading it properly, your new Custom neck, might be 1/32 wider and 1/32 thicker, than your Vela.

necks-new.jpg

Thanks for the input so far. What I'm really interested in is the history of S2 necks, more out of curiosity than anything else. Anyone have any idea what year they switched from Standard to Pattern Regular?

I don’t read their response as the legacy “standard” carve, but the standard neck profile for S2, which is pattern regular. Maybe I’m just needing a drink…

To my knowledge, since day one, there was only one neck carve - pattern regular - until the 594s hit the scene.

I don’t read their response as the legacy “standard” carve, but the standard neck profile for S2, which is pattern regular. Maybe I’m just needing a drink…

To my knowledge, since day one, there was only one neck carve - pattern regular - until the 594s hit the scene.

That would make sense, and I thought of that, but she did capitalize Standard, which made me think of the legacy carve first.

If I'm reading it properly, your new Custom neck, might be 1/32 wider and 1/32 thicker, than your Vela.

necks-new.jpg

Thank you for this! I knew I saw it somewhere and couldn't find it. It confirms what I found measuring my necks. I was a W/T guy, mainly because I started out on SE. Then I got my CU24 W/T and it's a hair beefier. I finally picked up my first S2 and love the Pattern Regular shape, but still prefer the W/T nut width. Then the other day I picked up the SC58 with a pattern neck, I's absolutely perfect for me!

So, am I reading this terminology right? Standard is Regular which is also Pattern?

Or did I jumble up the cross naming?

Standard is Regular which is Pattern Regular. Pattern is the updated Wide Fat.

Thank you! So why would PRS make a distinction if they are the same? Just to clarify the year name change to be period correct?

Thank you! So why would PRS make a distinction if they are the same? Just to clarify the year name change to be period correct?

I'm not sure quite what was tweaked when Wide Fat became Pattern, or Regular became Pattern Regular...

Have you measured your nut width?

Nope. I'm more interested to find out if the S2s first came out with the legacy necks, both of my S2 necks are comfy so it's just curiosity given the customer service response. Heck, maybe mine was a shop special order that wanted the older neck shape...from the PRS neck page, Pattern Regular and Regular (standard) have the same 1 21/32" nut width, so measuring should be the same anyway.

Nope. I'm more interested to find out if the S2s first came out with the legacy necks, both of my S2 necks are comfy so it's just curiosity given the customer service response. Heck, maybe mine was a shop special order that wanted the older neck shape...from the PRS neck page, Pattern Regular and Regular (standard) have the same 1 21/32" nut width, so measuring should be the same anyway.

I was asking ou of curiosity too.. it gets the better of me with stuff like this.

I was asking ou of curiosity too.. it gets the better of me with stuff like this.

Yup. I love both guitars, their playability, and their necks, so it doesn't make any real difference - except that now I'm just dying to know :). Heck, it didn't really matter what color the new to me CU22 is officially, but it was driving me nuts not being sure, even though whatever it is I like it (It's McCarty Tobacco).

It is about 1/32 less wide than the neck on my 98 CE24 wide/thin neck. I own a S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow. I was only a thin neck player until my S2.

Back