drdoom8793

THAT guy at Chick-fil-A
We already have a thread for SE mods but I haven't seen too many people talking about mods to S2 guitars. I'm thinking of doing some changes to my S2 Custom 24 but haven't done anything yet. So show me your S2 mods!

Oddly enough, My S2 custom 22 is dead on stock.i will change the trem to an old Mann to get more pull up. This one and my SAS are the only two I Haven`t modified.

I have 2 S2s and I haven't changed anything either as well...theyre pretty good stock, if you want better pups I can see it or an American bridge but the bridge works great if it holds up..

I've had mine for a little over a year and I'm starting to notice some scratchiness in the volume pot. I'm seriously considering redoing the wiring completely to change it to Core wiring with US PRS pots and a 5 way blade.

I don't mind the pickups too much. I may experiment with them in the future but I'm happy with them for right now.

I've thought about getting a Mann bridge but I ended up decking my bridge anyways, so I probably won't bother.

The only other things I'd like to do would be cosmetic. My Cu24 is Scarlett Red. I think it would look great with black tuner buttons and black knobs.

I've upgraded to a mannmade 2300 bridge and put black tuner buttons on my S2 SCsemi.
IMG_2263_zpsbzekbjdi.jpg

image_zps4rteus8o.jpeg

I am also getting a scratchy volume pot after a year.
Maybe I'll change out to US electronics.

That's what I'm talking about! Looks like a sweet guitar. Full body shot needed for a true assessment ;)

I'll oblige
image_zpsz1the3lu.jpeg

image_zpsmzmwdqti.jpeg

image_zpswpcbbenz.jpeg

Also been going back and forth about changing the pickups too,
It's a great sounding guitar, but when I A/B with my core 594, the #7 pickups are a bit dark and lack clarity.

Looks hot! Of course, I'm a 2300 fanboy, so how could it not! I'll chalk up a vote for some BK Abraxas pickups.

Actually, my re-wiring brings up an interesting question. Does anyone know if I will run into any issues replacing the stock S2 wiring with US pots and a 5 switch? I kind of just assumed everything would fit, no problem.

I did core volume pots on my S2 Singlecut Standard and they went in fine.

I replaced the #7 pickups with Suhr Thornbuckers. They definitely deliver on the balance and clarity claims. It fairs well alongside my 594. It's a bit darker and more mid-focused. I like the neck split tone better on the S2, actually. My heart lies with the double cut though, so I really should move the S2 on to a new home. But I am thinking of dropping in some HB sized P90's to go for more of an LP Special vibe...

Nothing really to show, but I put a set of Bareknuckle pickups in my S2 singlecut semi-hollow. Also core volume pots, and the pickup selector went bad so I installed a Switchcraft 3-way toggle. Strap locks too.

I don't own an S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow yet, but I've thought about doing a Tremol-No mod and a GraphTech Ghost Pickup (Piezo) mod.

I'll oblige
image_zpsz1the3lu.jpeg

image_zpsmzmwdqti.jpeg

image_zpswpcbbenz.jpeg

Also been going back and forth about changing the pickups too,
It's a great sounding guitar, but when I A/B with my core 594, the #7 pickups are a bit dark and lack clarity.
I`m going to suggest that you back the pickups down a little bit at a time, and then experiment with raising the pole pieces if you`re not happy with the sound. That is a beautiful guitar, and if the neck is good I wouldn`t think of selling it. The other thing to think about is replacing the volume pot with a CTS 550 (try RS Guitar Works) one. I have an S2 Custom 22,and I`m surprised at how good the pickups are. When I dropped mine slightly,I got a balls to the walls humbucker sound that is very thick and rich. It`s not a 594. If you want it to sound like a 594, get another 594. Accept as its own animal. If I didn`t have too many guitars, I`d buy one like yours in a heartbeat.

I`m going to suggest that you back the pickups down a little bit at a time, and then experiment with raising the pole pieces if you`re not happy with the sound. That is a beautiful guitar, and if the neck is good I wouldn`t think of selling it. The other thing to think about is replacing the volume pot with a CTS 550 (try RS Guitar Works) one. I have an S2 Custom 22,and I`m surprised at how good the pickups are. When I dropped mine slightly,I got a balls to the walls humbucker sound that is very thick and rich. It`s not a 594. If you want it to sound like a 594, get another 594. Accept as its own animal. If I didn`t have too many guitars, I`d buy one like yours in a heartbeat.
Definitely not selling this one, It has it's own sound that I really dig. I've been spending a lot of time with it over the last couple weeks remembering why I bought it in the first place.
the semi hollow adds a nice round fattness to the notes.
I don't want it to sound like the 594, but the differences are apparent when played next to each other, I just think some different pickups would bring it to the next level.

You can never have too many guitars
You should buy one, they're awesome!

I don't own an S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow yet, but I've thought about doing a Tremol-No mod and a GraphTech Ghost Pickup (Piezo) mod.
Has anybody else tried installing a Ghost Pickup in their guitar? I'm going to pick up an S2 22 SH soon and I'm seriously considering doing this, but based on the estimate I got from the PTC, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get a used Hollowbody...

Has anybody else tried installing a Ghost Pickup in their guitar? I'm going to pick up an S2 22 SH soon and I'm seriously considering doing this, but based on the estimate I got from the PTC, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get a used Hollowbody...

Seems to me I remember someone on the Forum doing this. I can't remember if it was in a Mod thread (like Modified Monday), or it was a thread of its own

I'm not sure, but the biggest issue that is now dissuading me is having to remove the backplate to replace the battery and the potential lack of space in there. Over time I imagine the screws could strip out the wood from battery replacements.

I really wish PRS would produce an S2 Hollowbody with 58/15 LT "S" pickups and piezo or even without a piezo. I'd love to have a line up consisting of an S2 Custom 22, S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow, and S2 Hollowbody.

I'm not sure, but the biggest issue that is now dissuading me is having to remove the backplate to replace the battery and the potential lack of space in there. Over time I imagine the screws could strip out the wood from battery replacements.

I really wish PRS would produce an S2 Hollowbody with 58/15 LT "S" pickups and piezo or even without a piezo. I'd love to have a line up consisting of an S2 Custom 22, S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow, and S2 Hollowbody.
Well, in talking with the PTC, if I have them install the piezo, they can also install a battery cavity to make that bit easier, which I would likely do. I'm not sure how quickly those piezo systems kill batteries. But, like I said, I think I may be better off just keeping an eye on the used market.

Back