S2 Mira--the good and the bad

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Brian Lear, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Brian Lear

Brian Lear New Member

Just wanted to provide some feedback to PRS and get the community to weigh in as well. I recently got an S2 Mira. Some things were executed very well--the frets, fretboard, and general playability are great. The weight, feel, are very well balanced. But the guitar is a bit too light for me. The pickups are just okay--matched well, and a wide variety of sounds. The switches and pots felt loose and imprecise. The tuners did not seem to hold tune as well as core guitars. Paul Smith tends to emphasize "musicality" and having an instrument that multiplies your artistic inclinations, and does not "suck energy". However, to be frank, it sucked energy. Oh I could play the hell out of it for about 30 minutes. But it didn't make me want to write or be creative, like the core guitars do.

#1 Brian Lear, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Mira's have always been light. 6 - 7 pound range. PRS pots also are generally easy to turn. As for the tuning stability, mine is rock solid. That's all I got.

3. Brian Lear

Brian Lear New Member

Wait, do you have an S2 or a core Mira?

4. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Mine's a 2010 core. It has phase 2 tuners which are what are on the S2 Mira but made in Korea.

5. NomadMike

NomadMike New Member

I've had mine for two years and it's still the first guitar I grab for practice or playing out. Weight is fantastic and welcome especially if I've been playing my Les Paul, it stays in tune and is incredibly stable. So far the only problem I had was with the notorious volume control which was a quick fix.

6. Brian Lear

Brian Lear New Member

^^^ core or s2?

This thread is about the S2 Mira and I'm looking for comments about tuning stability and general impressions of the S2 line, not the core guitars. The core guitars--I know they are rock solid. I have several of them. My goal in getting the S2 was to have a PRS that I could throw around a bit more, not worry so much about it. I was hoping for something that was just as rock solid as the core guitars, just stripped down, lighter, more basic. But I'm starting to feel like the S2 line is more of a glorified SE.

7. dsenoj

dsenoj Old dude in a PRS T-shirt

I have an S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow. It has the same tuners as the S2 Mira. My S2 tuners are as stable as the tuners on my core PRS guitars. Like others have said, all Miras are light. My S2 is a solid high-quality guitar.

8. NomadMike

NomadMike New Member

The S2s are far from glorified SEs, they're also not a Core but their own unique guitar in the PRS stable. Never a problem with tuning.

9. Brian Lear

Brian Lear New Member

Hmm. I wonder if I just have a bum set of S2 tuners then. I mean they aren't terrible or anything, but they definitely aren't as stable as my core guitars.

10. Korina Jack

Korina Jack New Member

The Mira in general whether it be an S2 or core I consider to be a "loose" guitar. What I mean by that is it's similar to a Gibson SG, (how much of the neck and body are connected.) my Core Mira was not as stable as my McCarty's, CU22's and even the CE's. The Mira is just a loose guitar by nature. Hopefully that helps.

11. CoreyT

CoreyT PRS Addiction

My S2 tuners on my S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow are abut as good as the Core Phase III ones on my 408.
    You may indeed need to have yours looked at, as I hardly ever have to tune mine.

12. dsenoj

dsenoj Old dude in a PRS T-shirt

Have you tried to tighten the screw on the tuner buttons? My first 2 core guitars with Phase III tuners had tuners that felt loose with a little play before doing anything. I talked to Skitchy at a dealer event where he was doing setups and he recommended adjusting the button screw to change the feel of the tuners and remove the looseness. It worked great.

13. Brian Lear

Brian Lear New Member

Yea I tightened the screws on the tuner buttons, but they still have play even when the button is tightened down. It's not play in the button, it's play in the actual gears. They just don't feel as accurate or solid.