S2 McCarty vs S2 Custom 24 for vintage clean humbucker > single coil

60s Pop Man

Hello,

The past few days has been a fast and furious deep dive into the world of PRS.
I've narrowed down my choices to the models in the thread title. Local availability is essentially non-existent for a hands on comparison.

Below are some details that will hopefully spark some recommendations.

Since I I have high-quality Fender Teles and Strats, I would chose a PRS primarily for its humbucker tones. From what I've heard online, I would definety use the single coil sounds as well. It looks like PRS guitars are designed to cover many bases with just one guitar which is very cool!

I mostly play clean tones - jazz, country, and surf at home with a SS amp. In the past I loved rock music but I'm not a shredder. There may be times when I pratice shred lines in the 25 mile an hour lane behind closed doors.;)

My hands adapt to neck profiles ranging from a baseball bat U sharp to modern C with an overall preference for chunkier necks.

On a side note, I'm also moving more towards finger style playing but will never totally give up picks.

All of this leads me to believe the S2 McCarty - single or double cut is the better fit for me. No doubt the Custom 24 is versatile guitar.

Thoughts?

For a vintage sound from PRS you want the S2 594 moreso than the S2 Custom 24.

Singlecut? Double-cut? That's more of a personal choice.

The S2 594 will definitely have a more vintage sounding vibe than the S2 Custom. The Core 24 is also going to be a more modern sounding instrument in stock form. I would recommend looking for either a used McCarty (pre-58/15 pickups) or a Custom 22 with 59/09 pickups.

I'm really leaning towards the single cut S2 594, either the Mccarty or dark cherry sunburst.

I've ended up with too many guitars over the years and have started to thin the collection. The rule for new acquistions is one in, one out. This doesn't apply to the chosen few that remain.

So, I need to flip something before I add the PRS. At the moment, this isn't an issue as availibility of my favorite finishes in the single cut model is limited.

I did openly consider the other S2 594 models. Although I play mostly clean tones, this video really captured the sonic differences in the body styles, beginning at 2:31

This article was also a source of good information.
https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews...-singlecut-and-s2-mccarty-594-thinline-review

To be continued...
Thanks to all for chiming in.
Cheers!

The conditions for the one in/out rule have been met.:D
Now it's a matter of waiting for a SC with my preferred finish.

A separate SC vs. Thinline question will be posted in a bit.

Happy New Year to all!

Hello,

The past few days has been a fast and furious deep dive into the world of PRS.
I've narrowed down my choices to the models in the thread title. Local availability is essentially non-existent for a hands on comparison.

Below are some details that will hopefully spark some recommendations.

Since I I have high-quality Fender Teles and Strats, I would chose a PRS primarily for its humbucker tones. From what I've heard online, I would definety use the single coil sounds as well. It looks like PRS guitars are designed to cover many bases with just one guitar which is very cool!

I mostly play clean tones - jazz, country, and surf at home with a SS amp. In the past I loved rock music but I'm not a shredder. There may be times when I pratice shred lines in the 25 mile an hour lane behind closed doors.;)

My hands adapt to neck profiles ranging from a baseball bat U sharp to modern C with an overall preference for chunkier necks.

On a side note, I'm also moving more towards finger style playing but will never totally give up picks.

All of this leads me to believe the S2 McCarty - single or double cut is the better fit for me. No doubt the Custom 24 is versatile guitar.

Thoughts?

The McCarty range of which the 594 are 'Vintage' inspired instruments and whilst they do have more functionality than those instruments thanks to coil splitting, they are going to give you that vintage Humbucker guitar - like a old Les Paul.

The Custom 24 is a more 'modern' instrument and sits somewhere between the Strat and LP. You have a modern 24 fret guitar with a trem too if that's important but overall its a more modern vibe. Its a superb and versatile instrument but whether or not its the 'best' use of your money now, only you can decide.

I have both a Custom 24 and 594 and have both for their 'differences'. My answer would be to try 'both' and decide which one will give you the experience and tones you are looking for now and then you can pick up the other at a later date when you realise that you want 'both'

Back