S2 Mccarty SC vs Thinline- A hill of beans difference?

60s Pop Man

Hello,
Based on a web comparison of these two models via high-quality audio - YouTube:rolleyes:o_O, I can hear that the SC has a fuller sound compared to the Thinline.

I only play at home with clean tones (country, jazz, and surf with the occasional excursion into crunch and overdrive). My amps include the Quilter Mach 5 and the venerable Vox DA5.

The Mccarty or Dark Cherry sunburst options would be my choice if going with the SC. Then again, the rich Vintage Cherry of the Thinline is supremely appealing!

My hands adapt pretty well to different neck profiles except when switching from a full size classical guitar nut width to an electric after an extensive period of play. The fingers do initially fumble a bit. Switching between various electric guitars is pretty much a non-issue. Having said, I do like necks with some girth.

Beyond the obvious response of get one of each, what are your thoughts of the SC vs. Thinline?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I tried to correct the above post but get an error message
Edits
...period of play
...non-issue

The thoughts are clear in my head but come out in interesting forms via the keyboard.

Whatever!

I tried to correct the above post but get an error message
Edits
...period of play
...non-issue

The thoughts are clear in my head but come out in interesting forms via the keyboard.

Whatever!
I haven’t played either, but have been on the watch for a while. But if you have a problem editing a post, remove the smiley face and it should work. It’s a forum glitch.

There are plenty of guys here who have them, so someone with more info will be along shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you would definitely feel the difference between neck carves. Tone should also differ because of the full mahogany vs maple top.

Personally, I prefer full mahogany guitars and their tone. A Thinline is definitely on my wishlist. I really want to get some hands on time with one first.

Do you want something more SG or Les Paul?
The weights will vary by 2-3 lbs and the neck carves are complete opposites. The answer as to which you want is of course both, but the question of which to begin with? I’ve played both. I Enjoyed both. Stuck with the single cut, but honestly both are great guitars.

I have owned over 30 PRS guitars, including core, S2 and SE models. I currently own a S2 Standard 24, S2 Custom 22 and S2 McCarty Singlecut 594. I play edge of breakup, country, rockabilly, jazz and surf (mostly into a Vox, Bad Cat or NexTone, amp). My choice hands down, would be a S2 Custom 22 or 24. Which isn't one of your choices. If I had to pick one, I would go with the Thinline. The Singlecuts strength is with overdrive.

I would always recommend that you compare the guitars in person, before buying. I would also suggest that you check out a SE Hollowbody II, maple not mahogany. The only time I would buy without first playing, would be when buying something like a Swamp Ash Special, that hasn't been made in over a decade. YMMV!

Last edited:
Do you want something more SG or Les Paul?
The weights will vary by 2-3 lbs and the neck carves are complete opposites. The answer as to which you want is of course both, but the question of which to begin with? I’ve played both. I Enjoyed both. Stuck with the single cut, but honestly both are great guitars.

Good questions!
The priority is something more Les Paul.

So, the SC is/has been the obvious choice. I'm probably being impatient as Thinlines are available on line but not SC in the the finish that I want. Local availability of either model is not an option which makes decision-making more challenging.

I wouldn't rule out having both the SC and a Thinline. Same goes for other PRS models in time.

Cheers!

oXqhW5O
If you want more of a Les Paul/vintage vibe, the Cu24 ain’t gonna be it.

Get the McCarty 594 for sure.

Based on a web comparison of these two models via high-quality audio - YouTube, I can hear that the SC has a fuller sound compared to the Thinline.

Well, as a Hi-Fi Audiophile, long before I bought my first guitar, I really do not think you can rely on any of the highly compressed digital signals generated by You Tube to give an accurate impression as to what either guitar sounds like. High resolution You Tube is an oxymoron .. . I think most folks want to think that the chunkier, heavier guitar, sounds more "full" ( whatever that means )

You would have to go to a store that had both, plug them into a good clean amp and have at it, full bore. But with Covid, and all the supply chain goofyness, good luck with that

BUT ... my local GC did have both at one time, so such a comparison would be possible. But I had already bought the Thinline, because the fit and feel for me, was more important for any subjective impressions of sonic differences.

They feel vastly different. The DC/SC 594 have the Pattern Vintage, which I believe is PRS's chunkiest neck in production. The Thinline, has "Pattern Thin", which is not Fender thin, but not "Wide Fat" wide. If you have ever checked out a Fender "Deep C" neck ... I think that is close in feel.

But, in all the comments about these guitars, I'm getting the impression that the 58/15S pickup ... Works "better" in the Thinline, and in one you are not looking at , The SE Hollowbody. Folks with the SC/DC generally want a different pickup, like Lambertones or Bare Knuckles, as the DC/SC guitar seems to need a more "dynamic" pickup ?

But in the skinnier Thinline, and in the even lighter Hollowbody ... the 58/15S pickup seems to work just fine. Hey, you could pop for $350 boutique pickups in either the HB or the Thinline, and maybe they would sound better. But its not like you really have to to be satisfied

Just musing... But I would not rely on You Tube videos to determine which of these guys sounds better , or how they may even differ ....

I really do not think you can rely on any of the highly compressed digital signals generated by You Tube to give an accurate impression as to what either guitar sounds like.

Last year, I stumbled across a cartoon. In the left frame was an individual listening to a high-end stereo (big speakers, amplifier, turntable, etc), caption: Audiophile.
In the right frame was an image of an mp3 file, caption: audio file.

The smiley from my initial post was removed in order to complete an edit. In its absence, I understand how the wording gives off an alarming impression. Being born in the golden age of vinyl, I get it.

The current reality is A. buy two or more guitars to audition them at home, return the rejects, or B. read reviews and forum threads to identify more or less consistent impressions and listen to a range of compressed digital signals for comparison. None of this optimal but under the current circumstances what other option is there?

Your description of the Thinline neck profile is encouraging. I have an AP ll Strat with the deep C neck and teles with U and modern C necks.My preference is for chunkier necks. If the Thinline is similar to the Fender deep C, that is very encouraging.

Last year, I stumbled across a cartoon. In the left frame was an individual listening to a high-end stereo (big speakers, amplifier, turntable, etc), caption: Audiophile.
In the right frame was an image of an mp3 file, caption: audio file.

The smiley from my initial post was removed in order to complete an edit. In its absence, I understand how the wording gives off an alarming impression. Being born in the golden age of vinyl, I get it.

The current reality is A. buy two or more guitars to audition them at home, return the rejects, or B. read reviews and forum threads to identify more or less consistent impressions and listen to a range of compressed digital signals for comparison. None of this optimal but under the current circumstances what other option is there?

Your description of the Thinline neck profile is encouraging. I have an AP ll Strat with the deep C neck and teles with U and modern C necks.My preference is for chunkier necks. If the Thinline is similar to the Fender deep C, that is very encouraging.

Dude !

I "hear" you ! ;)

I am surprised on how "decent" my computer audio can sound at times, not to mention my iPod ... so I do understand what you are saying.

I think it was Broseph, that offered the best advise ... That was to Buy Both !!! :eek:

They are excellent guitars, the S2 594 SC/DC & Thinline. I am though (but its getting less important, even though I am old) A "small hands guy" ,so Fender '60's C neck profiles are important to me

Between the SC/DC and Thinline the neck carves are really different . The "Pattern Vintage", is really thick at the nut, and gets chunkier as you go up to the 12th fret. And along the way, you feel that "asymmetrical" curve that swoops one way, then the other ...

Actually, its pretty cool, but it is something that I would have to spend mucho time fondling, before I could really know what's up

So the Thinline, with its 24.594 scale, and Fender Deep C like profile was the decision. AND it is probably my best fit guitar in the "arsenal"

Due to an "in store" experience, I fondled a SE Hollowbody , which is designated "Wide Fat ". If I had to rely on on-line experiences, I would have dismissed it because of the neck profile description.

BUT even for this small hands guy, the HB is a tad chunkier than the Thinline, but nowhere near the SC/DC girth. AND its a hellava guitar ,being all hollow and everything ;)

All three of these beasts sport the same pickups.. But as a result of construction, yield differing results. All Killer and PITW (Pain In the Wallet) Good !

I say all this just to say, if you like a slightly heavier neck ... any one of the Hollowbodies will fill that bill, and may be the best "platform" for the 58/15S pickups ...

Good questions!
The priority is something more Les Paul.

So, the SC is/has been the obvious choice. I'm probably being impatient as Thinlines are available on line but not SC in the the finish that I want. Local availability of either model is not an option which makes decision-making more challenging.

I wouldn't rule out having both the SC and a Thinline. Same goes for other PRS models in time.

Cheers!

As said if the priority is more LP then the SC is the choice. The thinline is awesome but think SG. If you like chunkier necks the WT is not the neck for you. It's very strat not Gibson.

Here's some 12th fret measurements of my guitars

WT necks. .84, .86, .88, .89
Strat C .86, .87, .89
Strat deep C .93
Gibson .93, .97, .99

Between the SC/DC and Thinline the neck carves are really different . The "Pattern Vintage", is really thick at the nut, and gets chunkier as you go up to the 12th fret. And along the way, you feel that "asymmetrical" curve that swoops one way, then the other ...

So the Thinline, with its 24.594 scale, and Fender Deep C like profile was the decision.
You really do share much information for consideration. I do appreciate that!

My hands are small-ish but the Tele U neck which is really fat, up to 1.0 at the 12th fret, feels very comfortable all along the neck.

The AP ll Strat with the deep C neck feels sleeker in comparison. But the U shape is most comfortable for me. So the S2 SC 594 again seems like the best choice for me based on tone and neck profile.

Cheers.

Here's some 12th fret measurements of my guitars

WT necks. .84, .86, .88, .89
Strat C .86, .87, .89
Strat deep C .93
Gibson .93, .97, .99

Thanks for sharing these measurements.

12th fret measurements I found on the web for PRS
- SC 594, ranges from .96 to .99, with .99 being the most common?
-SE Hollowbody, .95
-Thinline 594, .90

Web measurements for guitars that I have:
- Americal Original 50s Tele U neck, .98 to 1.0
- American Professional ll Strat deep C, .92

Looking at all of this makes clear that the S2 SC 594 is my best choice. The issue is waiting until February 1st? for greater availability of finishes.

Many thanks to all who have chimed in. My questions and concerns have been addressed. Much appreciated!

Either way you're going to get a great guitar. If it were me, I'd start with the SC, but to be fair, I like the beefier neck. The SC will be plenty versatile to cover the ground you need, and as a bonus, you get a nice maple top. In terms of availability, Reverb is your friend...there are quite a few S2 594 SC's available in a wide variety of colors. That's how I wound up with my McKenna Blue S2 594 McCarty.

Either way you're going to get a great guitar. If it were me, I'd start with the SC, but to be fair, I like the beefier neck. The SC will be plenty versatile to cover the ground you need, and as a bonus, you get a nice maple top.
After last minute anguishing over DC vs. SC, I ordered a dark cherry SC. It will hopefully be here before the weekend. Photos will be posted once available!
Cheers.

Back