S2 mccarty 594 or 594 thin line choice

Starling60

I am waiting for the same McCarty S2 594 THINLINE to come in at an online dealer who charges tax. I have a chance to get THE SAME S2 594 (not thin) in stock available NOW and TAX FREE is the difference in weight and neck worth the wait and extra cost? Thanks!

Different guitars. Not only lighter but more midrange in the thinline. I think the 58/15s pickups sound far better in the thin line than the thicker regular 594. If grains/flames are important than the regular will win hands down. If you like subtle grains than thinline will be the one (assuming transparent finish).

How much does weight matter to you? Difference is usually at least 1 lb.

Not so much weight but scale length and neck thickness is what matters to my short fingers. But also I’d end up paying around the same for the thin line after tax

What’s odd to me is that PRS lists pattern vintage as 7/8” at the 1/2 fret which it an entire 1/8” thicker than my Martin HD28v which has an uncomfortable (to me) V profile. UNLESS I’m supposed to include the strings in the measurement

The McCarty tobacco burst or black & gold burst. I like a vintage look but I felt that a gibson less Paul studio or the like would not be made as well and would be heavier

I went with the thinline due to mentioned differences...there are a few used ones on GC used site if youre willing to roll the dice OP

I have a Core 594 and an S2 Thinline. The difference in necks (Pattern Vintage vs Pattern Thin) is definitely noticeable, and as you mentioned having short fingers, I think you'd really like the thin better. And it's also much lighter, something I appreciate but might not matter as much to you.

Obviously the best thing would be if you could play both and decide for yourself, but don't know if you live somewhere where that's feasible...

Thin line rocks. Kept it over the singlecut andnl doublecut s2 versions. Then again I also wanted and all hog machine as my vela is a special edition and is not full mahogany.

Thinline all the way. Agree with the comments above re the thinner neck profile being more comfortable for you and the 15/15s pups with their midrange bump sounding awesome in the Thinline. I love love love mine, and the Carvin hasn't seen the light of day since Cherry Bomb arrived at my home. P.S. - I'm one of the poor mofos on this site that only owns two guitars, but so be it. That PRS 594 Thinline puts a huge smile on my face every time I crack the case open, and I know I lucked out on the gorgeous detailed grain that glows thru the beautiful Vintage Cherry finish. When I picked mine up at GC after my order arrived, I was totally surprised when I unboxed it there and saw how it popped. Send us pics of yours (whichever one you choose) when she arrives.

Are you happy with the thinline.
Yes I love it.
Big sounding guitar for a lightweight thin body guitar....the only thing I'm adding is locking tuners as I've become so accustomed to them...there was a black one on GC used site s fee days ago ...

Just found this. I have big hands, but fingers are on shorter side. I find the Pattern Vintage more comfortable. Thinner necks cause my hands to cramp. The 594 has the shorter scale length which also helps. Something to consider.
I had 2 Gibsons with the 60's thin profile neck, and couldn't stand them.

Thinline all the way. Agree with the comments above re the thinner neck profile being more comfortable for you and the 15/15s pups with their midrange bump sounding awesome in the Thinline. I love love love mine, and the Carvin hasn't seen the light of day since Cherry Bomb arrived at my home. P.S. - I'm one of the poor mofos on this site that only owns two guitars, but so be it. That PRS 594 Thinline puts a huge smile on my face every time I crack the case open, and I know I lucked out on the gorgeous detailed grain that glows thru the beautiful Vintage Cherry finish. When I picked mine up at GC after my order arrived, I was totally surprised when I unboxed it there and saw how it popped. Send us pics of yours (whichever one you choose) when she arrives.
It ain’t how many you have, it’s how you rock what you’ve got.

It ain’t how many you have, it’s how you rock what you’ve got.
Thanks Dog. Every once in a while I feel like the red-headed step child here when I see the array of PRS guitars owned on this site. Doesn't happen often, but it must have hit me that day in July.

Back