S2 McCarty 594 is an EXCELLENT Guitar

I bought a brand new 594 S2 and it sounds dark despite me gutting everything out from pickups to the rest of the electronics. love the way it feels and the way its built it just sounds dark for some odd reason. had the exact same components in my custom 24 se and it sounded incredible. the only reason I sold it was because the neck was to thin for my liking my hands hurt when I play it and I'm a one guitar person so I played it a lot. I'm really bummed about this as I just feel uninspired to play as much as I use to be anymore.
This is why I ended up selling my S2 594 DC, dark with no snap. Plug in the SE HB II Piezo and the same PU sound great!

I may try another S2 594 hoping its a little brighter as I think I read here they changed the PU to TCI? IDK but it sure was dark, but not muddy!

However this is my opinion, I loved playing and holding the S2 594 DC! It played well and I was able to get some Allman Harmony type stuff going!

I bought a brand new 594 S2 and it sounds dark despite me gutting everything out from pickups to the rest of the electronics. love the way it feels and the way its built it just sounds dark for some odd reason. had the exact same components in my custom 24 se and it sounded incredible. the only reason I sold it was because the neck was to thin for my liking my hands hurt when I play it and I'm a one guitar person so I played it a lot. I'm really bummed about this as I just feel uninspired to play as much as I use to be anymore.
Have you adjusted the pickup heights at all, there is a lot of tonal possibilities in there…….. congratulations!

Have you adjusted the pickup heights at all, there is a lot of tonal possibilities in there…….. congratulations!
almost a year since I bought it and I just realized the tail piece was a little lose, tightened the screws and it sings. I guess the strings didn't have enough tension on them so they sounded muddy and dark. Still too much bass as in, I have the presence on my amp all the way up and the bass bellow 2 any higher and it starts to sound muffled and muddy like I have a blanket over my amp. oh and I have bareknuckle pickups a stormy Monday set which are really bright low output pickups that are scooped in the mids kind of like a single coil. I want more out of this guitar but I guess its as close as I can get it to a core model which is way too expensive for a guy who primarily plays at home, and honestly it plays so good the comfort alone is well with the price. Ever since I bought my SE way back when I just knew I'm never buying any guitar if it doesn't have Paul's signature on it.

I'd just like to test my ability to post pictures again.
If you don't see a picture below... the test revealed that I cannot post pictures.
If you see my McCarty 594 Thinline, then I can again post pictures.
PRS-2020-McCarty-594-THINLINE.jpg

almost a year since I bought it and I just realized the tail piece was a little lose, tightened the screws and it sings. I guess the strings didn't have enough tension on them so they sounded muddy and dark. Still too much bass as in, I have the presence on my amp all the way up and the bass bellow 2 any higher and it starts to sound muffled and muddy like I have a blanket over my amp. oh and I have bareknuckle pickups a stormy Monday set which are really bright low output pickups that are scooped in the mids kind of like a single coil. I want more out of this guitar but I guess its as close as I can get it to a core model which is way too expensive for a guy who primarily plays at home, and honestly it plays so good the comfort alone is well with the price. Ever since I bought my SE way back when I just knew I'm never buying any guitar if it doesn't have Paul's signature on it.
To my ears the core 594 is similar, tho with the height waaay down its greatly improved, however if after heights/strings and amp setting etc you still find a (particularly neck) pickup to be muddy, put a 0.047uF capacitor in series with the pickup at the selector switch..its a high pass filter..

I did this on my LP Standard DC with a jazz pup at the neck.. totally transformed the neck from "meh, muddy and unused" to 'wtf why didnt i do this 10 years ago!!"

i know its live and learn..i just wish i could do it quicker!

Yup, pic is fine - and your S2 TL is in my favorite color - just like my TL! I'll say it again - the S2 594 McCarty Thinline is an absolute Gibson SG killer.

To my ears the core 594 is similar, tho with the height waaay down its greatly improved, however if after heights/strings and amp setting etc you still find a (particularly neck) pickup to be muddy, put a 0.047uF capacitor in series with the pickup at the selector switch..its a high pass filter..

I did this on my LP Standard DC with a jazz pup at the neck.. totally transformed the neck from "meh, muddy and unused" to 'wtf why didnt i do this 10 years ago!!"

i know its live and learn..i just wish i could do it quicker!

Can you send me a link to a schematic please. My guitar has 50's wiring with core stock value orange drop caps. it helped but not as much as I'd hoped when it comes to electronics I'm hopeless and at the mercy of my local luthier and where I'm from there literally only one guy that works on guitars for everyone on the island. My understanding is that caps won't make a big difference unless you start useing the tone knob other wise your getting the maximum amount of treble the pickup has to offer.

Stormy Monday’s go well in single cuts. Helps brighten them up some. Sound closer to a 58/15.
Man I had them in my custom 24 Se and they sounded stupendously mind blowing every note sounded open, clear and rich with a lot of beautiful harmonics it squealed and barked when I wanted it too and I would turn the volume down and I would be in edge of breakup/clean heaven. upper mids where really pronounced and present it almost hurts your ears but it would also cut through anything, never felt washed or drowned out playing with anyone. These were the first aftermarket pickups I tried and I literally stopped looking for anything els after. Come to think off it that guitar had 0.047uf caps on it with stock wiring.

Can you send me a link to a schematic please. My guitar has 50's wiring with core stock value orange drop caps. it helped but not as much as I'd hoped when it comes to electronics I'm hopeless and at the mercy of my local luthier and where I'm from there literally only one guy that works on guitars for everyone on the island. My understanding is that caps won't make a big difference unless you start useing the tone knob other wise your getting the maximum amount of treble the pickup has to offer
Tone knob circuitry is a low pass filter attached in parallel to the pickup. This does nothing at all for the bass response and only affects the treble so different schemes and different capacitors only have minor affect on the lows.

What this circuit that I am suggesting is, is a high pass filter in series with the pickup. This does not affect the high frequency output but does reduce the bass output..(the problem area for muddy response).

simply Remove the hot lead of the pickup at the selector switch.. insert a capacitor between that lead and the switch contact... a starting value on 0.047u is suggested, if you want less mud then go for a smaller capacitor (higher rolloff frequency and vice versa).

I think seymour duncan put a tech note out on this, but its simple and effective and easily reversed or adjusted.

The S2 594 McCarty Thinline is an absolute Gibson SG killer

Inspired by, sure. Like playing it better, perhaps. Better build and tuning stability, definitely. But the Thinline is not quite the same tone or feel as an SG if you're wanting that vibe.

TLDR; close but no cigar.

I love my ce24, but if I had to do it over I'd get an S2 594 and upgrade to core pickups.
The ce24 has an edge that is really annoying on my forearm while playing.

I love my ce24, but if I had to do it over I'd get an S2 594 and upgrade to core pickups.
The ce24 has an edge that is really annoying on my forearm while playing.
Horax there's a few 594s on GC used site right now you could probably sell or trade in the CE for a small loss....happy is king around here....

Horax there's a few 594s on GC used site right now you could probably sell or trade in the CE for a small loss....happy is king around here....
Thanks....I don't think I'm ready to give up on hte CE just yet, though.
She's too pretty and I love the tones....I might have to go that route in the future though.

Back