S2 McCarty 594 Fretwire

HRC-E.B.

In various posts, Shawn@PRS indicated that the S2 guitars had the same fret wire in them as the Core models.

What about S2 McCarty 594s? Guitar World in their review comparing a Core and an S2 McCarty, said that while the S2 had the same "width" frets as the core, their height was a bit lower, changing the playability.

Does the S2 McCarty 594 in fact use different frets than the Core 594?

Is the fretwire as hard/durable on the S2, and what material is used on each, to ensure that level of durability?

What is the height/spec of the frets on the S2 and Core 594s?

I have both a core 594 and an S2 594. The fret size and profile looks to be the same on both -- about 0.1065" x 0.055" with "school bus" top profile like a Les Paul. They're both 2020 models.

Great pair!

interesting differences in the finishes. The grain on that core is great. I like the ivory switch tip and amber shade knobs over the S2s. Great job on changing the Phase 3 tuner buttons. Looks great with ivory/bone look

interesting differences in the finishes. The grain on that core is great. I like the ivory switch tip and amber shade knobs over the S2s. Great job on changing the Phase 3 tuner buttons. Looks great with ivory/bone look

Thanks for the comments. The idea for the tuner button change came from this forum. The look is much better IMHO.

I'm not sure why the change in the switch tip and lampshade knob color on the S2. The core colors are more in keeping with the body color.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. The idea for the tuner button change came from this forum. The look is much better IMHO.

I'm not sure why the change in the switch tip and lampshade knob color on the S2. The core colors are more in keeping with the body color.

Where did you get the tuner buttons? I'm quite interested in doing the same to my S2 Singlecut Standard and am confused over where to source buttons that will fit. I've never swapped tuner buttons before.

Both guitars look great, by the way!

I changed my S2 594 switch tip to cream , it just "looks right"!

The black lampshades are easier to see for me so I left them. The Gold Phase 3 tuner buttons are staying because Gold looks classy, as does the Core 594 above with the Bone buttons. Yummy!

Where did you get the tuner buttons? I'm quite interested in doing the same to my S2 Singlecut Standard and am confused over where to source buttons that will fit. I've never swapped tuner buttons before.

Both guitars look great, by the way!

The ivory tuner buttons above are sold by PRS as a replacement part for phase III tuners. Looks like they're not compatible with S2 tuners:

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/tuners/products/faux-bone-tuner-buttons-phase-iii

Last edited:
The ivory tuner buttons above are sold by PRS as a replacement part for phase III tuners. Looks like they're not compatible with S2 tuners:

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/tuners/products/faux-bone-tuner-buttons-phase-iii

I think I’ll try some Kluson replacement buttons and see if they fit or I can get them to fit. I’m sure Dan Erlewine would have no problem.

My S2 is a Singlecut Standard in vintage cherry. I’m also planning to swap out the black pickguard for tortoise, black shades for amber, and the switch tip to cream. I’d also like a bone or white Tusq nut but I’m less eager to swap out a perfectly fine nut just for cosmetic reasons.

FYI, I added Kluson Revolution series buttons to my S2 tuners. They fit perfectly and came with the longer screws that were necessary, since these buttons are taller than the original buttons. Based on what I know about tuning machine buttons, which is admittedly not much, I suspect most or many of the modern style screwed tuning machine buttons are ultimately interchangeable. Anyway, I think they look great on my vintage cherry S2 Singlecut Standard. The guitar should have come from the factory this way.

McyT0dc.jpg

Back