S2 maccarty 594, differences

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by cristianopoli, May 4, 2020.

1. cristianopoli

cristianopoli New Member

Hallo to everybody.
    I would like to buy my first PRS and I'm studying the new s2 McCarty 594.

Could help me to understand the differences of the 3 model, particularly between "thinline" and the other two models?

There are big sound, sustain, volume differences?
    Thanks!!
    Cristiano

2. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy/posts

There is little difference between the McCarty 594 and the Single Cut - both very similar construction and the main difference is body shape. The SC does have a slight difference because it has a 'chunk' of wood attached to the top of the neck that the double cut doesn't.

The thinline, as the name suggests, is a thinner body version but also missing the Maple cap - its an all-mahogany body. It also has the 3 way toggle in a different position too. The neck carve is different too - a pattern thin neck - not as thick as the Pattern Vintage or the same asymmetrical carve. I think its more a different instrument than the others although still has a lot in common.

If you are looking to buy, I would say the regular and single-cut version is more down to body shape preference and the thinline is for those that prefer a different neck and thinner body. PRS have done a video on all 3 so its up to you to decide if you prefer (or can hear) any tonal differences...

DreamTheaterRules, Tim S and Warmart like this.
  3. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Does anyone know if the Singlecut S2 594 is thicker than the regular S2’s? I was drooling on one for sale, and from the angle photos It looks to be thicker. Sean?

4. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

There’s a couple of videos by Bryan Ewald on the PRS YT site, that may help if you haven’t already seen them.

5. Hotspur

Hotspur New Member

There's a shootout video posted in this thread:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/s2-594-“shootout”.42942/

In that video, there differences in the guitars voices is very clear. I actually find it easier to articulate what the differences are in that video than I do from watching the Bryan Ewald videos PRS posted, which I would recommend you check out, as well.

In the shootout video, to me, the difference is muscle. The singlecut sounds almost over-muscled, like it really wants to rock out. The thinline sounds a little thin and reedy, to me. But you can line up the Ewald videos to hear the same sound in each, and see what you hear - I'd love to hear other people's opinions about that. Bryan himself checks in on that thread and while he doesn't discuss the tonal differences he felt as much as I would have liked (for what I suspect are easy-to-understand reasons), I'm still glad he checked in.