S2 knob loose after replacing pot - how to fix?

rockinforJesus

I just replaced the volume pot on my S2 Starla with a quality PRS replacement. Everything went smoothly, works great now, but the lampshade knob won’t stay on.
Guessing the S2 knob is metric, and the replacement pot is standard?
Any ideas on how to get the knob to stay put?
I already tried to stretch the ears of the split shaft, but don’t want to chance breaking off an ear.
I’d rather not use superglue.

Carefully use a flat headed screw driver to spread the shaft a hairs width. If you have solid shafts, the wrap it once with plumbers teflon tape.
Why not both? Obviously you don't want to spread the shaft halves too far/risk breaking. But no reason you can't also wrap with teflon tape, maybe several times until it fits snug. It's exactly what I had to do with an (Epiphone) push/pull pot that the knob wouldn't stay on. Worked perfect

Why not both? Obviously you don't want to spread the shaft halves too far/risk breaking. But no reason you can't also wrap with teflon tape, maybe several times until it fits snug. It's exactly what I had to do with an (Epiphone) push/pull pot that the knob wouldn't stay on. Worked perfect
Too much tape will just get pushed down off the shaft, where it can prevent the knob from sitting down even with the others. A little goes a long way.

The boys and girls at PRS actually pry the pot shaft open slightly, Never understood why PRS knobs have a slightly larger opening. If you purchase a replacement pot from PRS it will come that way also.

Back