S2 Gig Bags

aristotle

I recently picked up a most excellent Vela. Didn't give much thought to the case it would be coming in. I have a bunch of guitars, and even my MIM Tele came with a hardshell case, so I was a bit surprised that the S2's come with a gig bag. No biggie though since I got the Vela as sort of a beater guitar (though as much as I like it, I'll likely give more consideration to its health than I had originally anticipated.)

So...uhm... I take the guitar to a gig. Who knew that a "gig bag" would be so practical hauling a guitar around to a gig? It's not like I stuff my hardshell cases under amps and PA equipment anyway, so I can't see there being any risk with it. You can even wear the thing like a backpack. Way lighter than a case, and more convenient. Why didn't anybody send me the memo on these things before???

They are nice. I can carry two guitars in bags, my pedal purse, and my combo amp into the club in one trip.

At home I keep my guitars in their hardshell cases.
But when I take one of my SEs to work, I really dig the gig bag.
I have a briefcase, lunchbox, and the guitar to carry in a few hundred feet from where I park at work, and wearing the bag on my back is so easy to take it in that way.
Right now it is hanging up in my locker at work with the 2012 SE Custom 24 in it.
I usually take it out when I get too work to play early in the mornings there.

I also used to be a die-hard hardshell (die-hardshell?) case guy. Now I use both types, but I'm not sure why. I should just go completely gig bag. Not really touring or anything any more, so they just have to make it to and from the venue once in a while.

A well-made gig bag is a very good thing to have. :top:

It's a drag traveling with a hard case that weighs 12-15 pounds all by itself, as most hard cases do.

Last edited:
I am a convert, too. I use a double gig bag for a solidbody and a lap steel. My hollowbodies still usually stay in a hard case (the HB cases are much lighter than the solidbody cases).

Of course, my guitars don't get thrown into a van, and all band members are conscientious and respectful of each other's gear. I wouldn't have used bags 20 years ago when the road was tougher.

If you catch the Quiet Riot documentary you'll see the guitar player using a PRS SE gig bag for their fly-in shows.

FWIW I've hauled a 10 pound Les Paul in a 25 plus pound road case for a few miles. Not recommended.

Last edited:
You can even hang it from a light tree! The PRS gig bags made me a believer, though I still don't like bumping the tuners out of tune on a guitar that doesn't need much tuning. And you can cram a ton of crap in that big front pocket!

i am jealous as hell of that Vela. Those really spark my interest, too, but I picked up an acoustic instead. You might just change my mind. :biggrin:

I hang mine on my closet door. Makes for more room for my stands, keeping the guitars very handy to grab on impulse.

Back