S2 Custom - String action with heavy gauge strings

reybanger

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you guys for any hints that may help me to setup properly my S2 Custom Semi-Hollow 2016.
I'm playing in Drop B tune, using custom 56-38-28-11-15-18 set (Elixir)

I already had 2 attempts to set low string action for my guitar, I have setup my neck relief according to the YouTube tutorial by PRS and lowered the saddles, but still my action is very high and there is a buzz that is hearable on the amp when playing cleans.
I was wondering If I should touch the bridge hight and verify it there, however I read on the PRS website that I should not need to touch it and need to be very careful.

Any hints? Do you think I need to lower the bridge when playing high gauge strings?
I have also noticed that the 6th string is not sitting very well in the saddle, it looks like its too thick - it is causing a slightly high action on 6th than toher.

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you guys for any hints that may help me to setup properly my S2 Custom Semi-Hollow 2016.
I'm playing in Drop B tune, using custom 56-38-28-11-15-18 set (Elixir)

I already had 2 attempts to set low string action for my guitar, I have setup my neck relief according to the YouTube tutorial by PRS and lowered the saddles, but still my action is very high and there is a buzz that is hearable on the amp when playing cleans.
I was wondering If I should touch the bridge hight and verify it there, however I read on the PRS website that I should not need to touch it and need to be very careful.

Any hints? Do you think I need to lower the bridge when playing high gauge strings?
I have also noticed that the 6th string is not sitting very well in the saddle, it looks like its too thick - it is causing a slightly high action on 6th than toher.

Have you filed the nut to fit the heavier strings?

Also remember when using heavier gauge strings to allow the neck to settle for a day or two, before carrying out final set up.

It will help you to set the relief more accurately.

Hello all new SE 22 semi hollow owner. Question the guitar comes with 9s way to loose and thin for me. If I put a set of 10s on would I need to get a new setup or can it be fixed with the truss rod?

Hello all new SE 22 semi hollow owner. Question the guitar comes with 9s way to loose and thin for me. If I put a set of 10s on would I need to get a new setup or can it be fixed with the truss rod?

You might not even have to do a truss rod adjustment. Even if you do, it's simple and wont require more than a 1/4 turn. PRS necks are very stable and they respond easily and quickly to even small truss adjustments.

You might not even have to do a truss rod adjustment. Even if you do, it's simple and wont require more than a 1/4 turn. PRS necks are very stable and they respond easily and quickly to even small truss adjustments.
Hello, thx for the quick response so you are saying the jump from 9s to 10s will not effect the intonation at all?

The string height, gauge, length (i.e., intonation), tremolo spring tension, are all interdependent, so if you change one they all change a little bit. So, the answer is, ideally, yes, but depending on how exacting you are you might get away with doing nothing.at all. Most likely you'll want to tweak it a bit.

Hello all, wow I can’t get the high E string to come through the bottom of the guitar when changing the string? Any ideas?

Back