S2 Custom 24 Quick Write-up

8livesleft

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd do a writeup on my 2nd PRS. Granted, I only owned the 1st one for a couple days but it was what swayed me from choosing Gibson. It was an S2 standard 24 satin, 500 less than the LP Studio I intended on buying but far better made and setup. What I didn't really like was the finish. It was vintage cherry with a black pickguard. If I didn't already have a LP Standard Faded and Strat then I would've kept the S2 Standard. But what I was looking for was something more refined. So, when GC had this S2 Custom, I decided to trade up.

In any case, I'd take any S2 over any Gibson $2500 or less. No contest in terms of feel, comfort, and versatility. The S2 Custom is a real jack of all trades type of guitar. I'm actually tempted to let go of my LP and Strat, but I won't because I know that those 2 are absolute classics and that I'll likely shift back to them once in a while or if I'm after a specific sound. The PRS has coiltap but only a strat can sound like a strat and only an LP can sound like an LP.

I only dabble in mid-range guitars, so I'm familiar with the common "concerns" when you compare them to the standard/proper/core/high-end models. In the case of the S2, you have the aesthetic differences, cast hardware and asian electronics. However, everything works perfectly, fantastic fretwork, full maple cap and not a veneer.

So far, this S2 Custom is my priciest guitar but it's worth every penny in my opinion. It's versatility makes this an ideal "one and done" guitar or one to build a collection of more focused guitars around (extended range, bass, acoustic...).

Cheers!

20190116_1109222_zpsmwhbmk4n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20190111_134027_zpsypywx8a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP I love the S2s so much I have 3, I like 22 fret guitars and all hog bodies for the most part so I went with Standard 22s one satin, and a Mira and I like the Satin better than my custom 22...the necks are great and standing up the carve on the S2 is actually more comfy so don't apologize go play the hell out of it you have a fantastic guitar there....

When the latter day PRS fever hit me lately I ran around like my hair was on fire and grabbed a 2018 S2 Standard from Guitar Center for like, $999.

I think it's a great lil ol' guitar!

Very bright and airy sounding, and pretty dang versatile. Mine's a 24 fret, and I usually am a 22 non-trem kinda guy, but this guitar has its charms for me. It's kinda sonically at the other end of the spectrum from my SC 58 Stripper, but that's expected and I dig both ends anyway.

F26CBC68-EC8A-4B67-BFEF-8B85CC4073BC.jpeg

The neck has the very familiar "Maryland" made feel to it, and the frets are the usual PRS jewels.
What's not to like? I dunno. Terrific value, I think.

Satin finish doesn’t bother me at this price point. ‘Course, it IS my cheapest PRS. I had an MIK Soapbar II, but traded it in with about half my stable for more used Core PRS models. I’ve become a collector suddenly.

I still have other guitars, but notice right away when I pick them up they don’t play or feel like a PRS.
Doomed I am. -Yoda

Last edited:
Awesome choice 8livesleft! The pics aren't working for me. :(

I still have other guitars, but notice right away when I pick them up they don’t play or feel like a PRS.

Definitely. I just got out my Am Dlx HSS to compare with my S2 Studio, both even the same color and pickguard color. While both are great, and very similar in pups and sounds, the PRS feels much more luxurious, and frankly, is a better guitar all around.

Definitely. I just got out my Am Dlx HSS to compare with my S2 Studio, both even the same color and pickguard color. While both are great, and very similar in pups and sounds, the PRS feels much more luxurious, and frankly, is a better guitar all around.

And yet a Deluxe Strat is very sophisticated !

I still will grab a Fender sometimes, for some venues. Once I’m playing in front of people I hardly notice the guitar, except whether I can quickly dial in the sound, or whether or not the controls confuse me!

But, when I’m home I don’t want any issues from the guitar. I just want to get lost in the fretboard.

Funny. Last weekend I had my Tele on, which is dead reliable, and the switch went South with a big gnarly “buzz” when I went to take a solo! It betrayed me! I was suddenly disgusted with it after a dozen years of being my number one gigger!
Now it hangs on the wall waiting for me to get in the mood to work on it. I’m not much in a hurry.

Maybe I’ll just use the S2 Standard as #1 for a while, or one of my other PRSi...

Last edited:
Love my S2 Starla. Sad when they were discontinued. I guess that's what the second hand market is for.

Thanks!

I'm using photobucket not sure what's happening there.

I see an "IMG" tag and a "URL" tag, probably don't need both.

Are the pics working for everyone else?

I can see Rusty's pic.

OP I love the S2s so much I have 3, I like 22 fret guitars and all hog bodies for the most part so I went with Standard 22s one satin, and a Mira and I like the Satin better than my custom 22...the necks are great and standing up the carve on the S2 is actually more comfy so don't apologize go play the hell out of it you have a fantastic guitar there....

To be honest, I prefer the satin as well in terms of feel and comfort. The reason for the change was all purely aesthetic.

Back