S2 Custom 24... meh

Oh, did I say collection? Haha. I had a LOT of old ties.

Last edited:
Rugerpc - I didn't hate the S2 before I played it... I don't hate it now... I saw it and wanted to play it so I could recommend it to a friend who is looking for a Guitar and is interested in an SE but wouldn't mind a used CE... Me playing it and saying it seems like a good guitar for him would be good (I'm no big shot, but the guys I work with trust my opinion before they try out guitars). That would be the 'I wanted to like it' part.

I have no interest in buying an SE or S2... I had no interest in buying a Mira or Starla when they were core models, either... just not my cup of tea... They seem more valuable as S2 models!! I enjoy the Core models (I've enjoyed the Custom line more than the McCarty line, too). So... personally they aren't on my radar... however they are a great value for other players. I won't play THAT S2 Customer... but once they get another one in I'll give it another shot... just hoping that the neck was a one off mistake!!

I don't condemn anyone for purchasing an SE or S2... they aren't my thing... but they could be anyone else's...

I hadn't! And didn't know that was the right route to go. But now that I do, I will make the request. (Soon as I find the link.) Thanks!

EDIT: Just PM "admin" right?

Last edited:
I hadn't! And didn't know that was the right route to go. But now that I do, I will make the request. (Soon as I find the link.) Thanks!

EDIT: Just PM "admin" right?

Yes, please. He's on vacation for another week so don't expect an immediate response.

Yesterday I went and played a s2 cu24 . All I'm going to say is , not my cup of tea.

My DGT has cursed me from finding any other guitar.

i got to play one one acoustically yesterday. felt like every other PRS to me. pickups are cheap, even \m/ pickups.

I went an played an S2 Custom 24 over the weekend. I approached it not comparing to an SE or a Core, but comparing to my impressions of Fender American & Gibson Studio models I've played over past few years. I think compared to them, the S2 stands out as the top in quality. I've been really frustrated when playing a ~$1400 and simply touching the 3-way switch on a Studio introduces a scratchy static noise. I understand many guitars have noisy switches when actually changing positions, but when all you did was hit it with strumming hand that's some pretty bad soldering. I don't mind buying a guitar under $750 or so and hacking away at it to fix minor issues. But over a grand I expect a bit higher quality. I've played dozens of Fender USA and never could bring one home. I've actually bought and returned a Gibson Studio that didn't meet my standards. I found no issues at all with the S2, it plays like a Core due to the same Pattern Regular neck. The pups didn't sound awful or 'inferior', they sounded pretty good through a 2 Channel Custom 50. Last band I was in, we were looking to play some places where I didn't want to risk a high end guitar at. I've considered an SE as a beater type guitar that I can take anywhere to fill that need, but I don't like the WF/WT neck profiles. So for me, the S2 looks like a viable option at some point. I'm not GASing for one, but if I get gigging again, I'm more likely to consider an S2 over the stated 2 main competitors.

This is strictly my own personal perspective, I'm not schilling for PRS, I'm not overdosed on any cool-aid, just stating my personal - albeit biased* - opinion

* I really don't care for Fender strats, I've never played one that feels even remotely comfortable to me. Plus, I've 'fixed' enough Squires my friends bought for the kids to learn on, that my view of the entire company is affected.

Back in the day (30+ years ago), we didn't have the luxury of ordering a guitar from anywhere and have it be "a good one". You had to sit down with several of the same model, close your eyes and play them, picking out the best sounding/playing. It didn't matter make/model because depending on your locale, many of those guitars had to travel a considerable distance in rough conditions. Not exactly conducive to proper wooden musical instrument upkeep. So, when you finally got to the point of making that selection, you should have played maybe a dozen guitars. Was it in a color that I wanted? Was it a killer top? Unless you were totally lucky, no. And no. PRS changed all of that for me.

So, with all that said, I confess that even though I trust PRS implicitly to produce the finest production guitars available, I still play as many of a model as I can. The proof is always what I glean from my own hands and ears.

BTW, my über-cheap SE One is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played. Period.

Back in the day (30+ years ago), we didn't have the luxury of ordering a guitar from anywhere and have it be "a good one". You had to sit down with several of the same model, close your eyes and play them, picking out the best sounding/playing.

So very true! I can remember sitting in rooms playing the models I was interested in, off the rack, one after the other. In a way, it was a fun exercise, but it could take months of trying to find something you could bond with. There was no way you could just place an order and be confident of getting a good one.

There's much more consistency with PRS, and I've been confident enough to special order several.

I've had some very good PRSes, and some fabulous PRSes, but never a dud.

I guess I'm still in the old school mode. I can't buy a guitar online, I have to play it to bond before buying. I guess that's what I mean about strats. I've probably played near a 100 or so in stores over past 35+ years - OMG Les, I'm sounding like you! (btw, do you know where I get a good deal on a sleeper coffin?). I've never found them comfortable - whether it's neck profile, or basic shape of body that throws me off, I just don't like them. In contrast, both my Custom 24 and even more so my Custom 22 Artist were so opposite. I was playing the 22 and someone else in the shop asked if they could play it when I was done. I laughed at them and said "No, this one's no longer for sale". If I ever had that feeling with a Fender, I'd have a different take. I was truly impressed with the S2 for what it is. It's certainly not going to have same dynamic tone range as my guitars, but I would expect it would come close enough for a night in front of drinking/drunken bar patrons. So, for that purpose, I think the bashing I've read seams unjustified.

Now to find a quality coffin.....:creep:

I played a (non-PRS) guitar in a store that blew me away. Should have put it on the credit card right then. Instead I saved up for several months, during which time the one I played had sold. I special-ordered another just like it. It was a dud. It sounded bad, it played bad, the bridge pickup fed back at the drop of a hat, it was just awful. The store wouldn't take back a special order guitar even though they had stocked an identical one just months prior. I sold it on ebay for half what I paid for it.

Now it's a once bitten, twice shy situation. I'll buy used guitars online if I think I can get my money back reselling it if it's a dud, but I continue to have the hardest time pulling the trigger on a new guitar online. Running the racks is tough in Phoenix where all the stores just kind of suck. Most of the time it's not even worth going out try to try find something good.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that happened to you, John.

The only guitar I ever ordered special that was not a PRS was a Fender Showmaster. Fortunately, it lived up to my expectations at the time. I had not started buying PRS yet.

So far, the only PRS guitars I have ordered and bought without trying them first have been a 12 string and a 7 string. Neither have disappointed. Maybe it's the extra strings... :rofl:

When my friend and I took his son to get an SE singlecut, we had him play 3 of them back to back blindfolded. Tonally, he picked his visual second choice. But he got that one.

Rugerpc - I didn't hate the S2 before I played it... I don't hate it now...

I'm glad to read that you will give them another go. I'll be interested in hearing if the pup surprise you.

Last edited:
Back