S2 Custom 24... meh

There is nowhere remotely close to me where I can actually get hands on with an S2, but I definitely applaud the idea. Every manufacturer is trying to increase sales with a home made entry level instrument. The only aspect of the design that surprises me is the Korean pickups. I would like to think that guitarists who are reluctant to drop several thousand on a core model in case they cannot live with it would be happier to spend Gibson Studio or high end Mexican Fender money on a US PRS and then when they have experienced the love move up the range.

I was fully lined up to get an S2 Mira until I got the deal on the 'X'.

I would also like to add that I was initially cautious about the brand and that is why I bought my used CE to see if I would like it. Slowly but surely it is now getting out of hand and I want a 513 or 408. Or maybe both.

I wonder if the OP plugged it in, I've heard nothing about the sound?

All of the clips I've heard sound great, so I'm wondering about the claim that the pickups were somehow inferior?

I have to admit I've pulled rolls of cash out of my pocket and held it up to show the manager of guitar stores after being offended that they told me they wouldn't get a guitar down for me to try unless I was ready to buy right then. But to play devils advocate for a minute -

I'm pretty sure most GC employees don't pay their rent selling guitars over 900 bucks. What's the commission on 10 grand of USA PRS even, maybe 1000 bucks? If you like something, no matter the price, they'll always hedge the sale and show you something they think someone can impulse buy and walk out with immediately. Sounds to me like he thought you weren't sold on the features of a 1200 dollar budget guitar, but could and would drop $699 on a budget guitar you might like with very similar features.
He could've gone the upsell instead, but - not judging a book by its cover, or personally dealing with you before, its an odds game. Are you, a guy looking at a mid range american guitar and complaining, more likely to buy from this guy right now - something that cost 700, or something that costs 3 grand? I dont care how rich you are, everyone buys a cheap guitar with less thought than an expensive one. You didnt buy, but 8 out of the other 9 people he tries that on might. The cheaper the item, the faster the sale and the less likely a return, which means more commissions that stick. When I go to Nordstrom and buy Italian jeans. they always show me the Moroccan or wherever jeans that are 200 bucks less expensive and just as good. Why? Because they don't know me, and even though I have Italian jeans on now - the economy sucks and maybe I'd appreciate a deal today. If Im buying the italians Im still buying them, but A small sale is most definitely better than an "Awesome I really want these let me think about it a few days and I'll come back in and maybe remember to ask for you if you're here"
Of course, I do agree he could've done a much better sales job probing for needs instead of assuming on you like that, lest this sound like I'm defending him - the phrase "If that's too much for you" isn't the best emotional response trigger for making you happy, but you'll admit it DID make you open up immediately about your financial position. If the salesman had probed for needs better is it possible he could've convinced you you were in the market for a new American PRS today and he could've earned the sale? or at the least a follow up? Could the salesmans partner have come in and told you how he was sorry about the other salesmans pitch, and rung up that new guitar instead for you since he knew you were well heeled? Is it possible there were any other customers behind you looking at an S2 model guitar and having their purchasing decision being influenced by you?

Final food for thought - its human nature to disparage something that causes envy or jealousy. I can't tell you how many people I've seen say aloud how a Gibson sucks and is too much and how cheap the hardware seems, then walk out of the store ecstatic with a Epiphone the salesman showed them.
OTOH I used to know a pilot that loved to play his cheap Epiphone Les Paul. He was real careful with it - always kept it in his mansion - never left it in his hangar. Poor guy had a heart attack in one of his own aeroplanes and died, leaving his family with millions to remember him- and a cheap epiphone guitar.

Last edited:
So I was in my local music store yesterday and I saw a Custom 24... right off the bat I thought something was wrong with it... but I couldn't quite tell... it was a Blue Crab Smoke or something (Really nice colour)... I picked it up and I was instantly reminded of the original run of the Santana SE's... I was not impressed... I actually thought for a second that this might be a fake that was traded in or something... then I felt the body and instantly my heart sunk... it was an S2!!!

I knew I wouldn't want one because of inferior pickups and trem system... but I didn't think I wouldn't like the feel of the neck... it felt too fat and kind of hollow...

it must just be a bad make or something (but they cut those up...)

how has everyone felt about their Custom 24 S2s? I really wanted to like them (not buy one) but that one guitar just turned me away...

also... the salesman heard me say to my wife (who was quite pleased that I disliked a Paul Reed Smith) "This is one of those S2 guitars... I'm not impressed". He took one look at me and said "Yeah those are US made!... but if the price tag is too much for you we have the SE's which are Korean made and easier on the wallet". I shaved yesterday... so apparently I look poor with a clean shaven face and rich with a beard because I've never had anyone say that to me... I let him go on with his spiel and he casually asked me "What guitar do you have right now"... I calmly brought him over to his computer so he could check my customer number in his system...I said check what I've bought in 2013... he saw the amount... then I said Check what I bought from May-June-July... he saw that I bought 3 US Paul Reed Smiths totalling 10 grand... I then told him that yes SE's are great guitars and easy on the wallet, however, don't assume that everyone is poor... judging a customer before you actually meet them ruins your chances of making a sale and pleasing a customer... I hate when people do that to others in store (I've seen it a lot) but now it's happened to me lol

Sounds like there was quite a bit of pre-judging going on. Did you even bother to plug it in and listen to it? Wouldn't it have been an ironic hoot if the sound and tone blew you away.... But it reads like you had your mind made up about these guitars before you even entered the store.

I, with care and a bit of sacrifice, can afford any guitar PRS currently makes - even a private stock. But there is no way I'm gonna judge any of their offerings without playing them. The price-point is irrelevant if the tone is absent. Plug it in next time.

I have a long term buying plan for a PS which involves both financing and personal playing ability goals. Neither will be compromised. But I'm not going to be so end-focused that I can't try and appreciate whatever is offered or comes my way between now and then.

You also might want to give the salesman a break. The line is new and until they have a track record, I wouldn't be surprised to see even veteran, die-hard PRS dealers watch the market carefully for acceptance of the S2 series.

There is a difference between 'value' and 'bargain'. I look for the former but understand the motivation of the latter.

Last edited:
So...you dropped "$10K" over 3 months, but can't afford a Private Stock?

<scratches head>

Does not compute.

Suffice it to say, I detect a certain haughtiness in tone. I'd humbly suggest pausing for a moment and considering that perhaps your reaction was just as off-putting to him (or other customers within earshot) as his reaction was to you. Not an attack...merely an observation. :)

10k in 3 months isn't my regular... usually like 1 or 2 guitars in a year... I'd go all out on a private stock and it would cost like 17k. I'm usually just buying recording gear and such...

I've been shopping at this chain all of my life and have seen most of the salesmen at this particular location plain ignore people or treat them like crap... I once saw a guy ignore a kid and his parents who were trying to buy his first guitar... I clearly had no interest in this model because it was too different from the Core models... I think he was just trying to fill his day by listing all of the lower models... you'd think when you are paid commission you'd want to help customers or at least gauge in what they like... and not ignore or treat little kids (or anyone) like they shouldn't even be in the store!!

10k in 3 months isn't my regular... usually like 1 or 2 guitars in a year... I'd go all out on a private stock and it would cost like 17k. I'm usually just buying recording gear and such...

I've been shopping at this chain all of my life and have seen most of the salesmen at this particular location plain ignore people or treat them like crap... I once saw a guy ignore a kid and his parents who were trying to buy his first guitar... I clearly had no interest in this model because it was too different from the Core models... I think he was just trying to fill his day by listing all of the lower models... you'd think when you are paid commission you'd want to help customers or at least gauge in what they like... and not ignore or treat little kids (or anyone) like they shouldn't even be in the store!!

OK, I'll raise my hand first. I admit to being confused. You have shopped at this chain "all your life" and have seen the salesmen at this location treat people badly before... Yet the OP reads like you were surprised when you thought the salesman pre-judged your own buying power....

Sales is a hard vocation. If you haven't tried it before, maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes. I find I get better results when I engage salesmen (and everyone else) as people instead of servants.

YMMV

OK, I'll raise my hand first. I admit to being confused. You have shopped at this chain "all your life" and have seen the salesmen at this location treat people badly before... Yet the OP reads like you were surprised when you thought the salesman pre-judged your own buying power....

Sales is a hard vocation. If you haven't tried it before, maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes. I find I get better results when I engage salesmen (and everyone else) as people instead of servants.

YMMV
+1 to that!!

This is SO true.

My wife is a makeup artist for Dior. Mostly she does shows at various stores to demonstrate the product, but the stories I hear of how the salespeople are treated, and how she is sometimes treated in these stores, by customers, is appalling.

Absolutely appalling.

She does the work because she likes the artistry, but she also has a master's degree in education, she is no dummy. And she doesn't really have to work. It's a part time gig. Salespeople are treated like crap on a daily basis by customers who somehow feel entitled because they're spending ten bucks on a tube of lipstick.

I mean, really.

I would last exactly one day in that career. The first customer who gave me guff would get it back in spades. And then I'd be fired. LOL

And someone who dragged me over to a computer to show me how important a customer he/she is would be ignored from that moment on. Because, really. What are you supposed to do? Kowtow to them?

Last edited:
This is SO true.

My wife is a makeup artist for Dior. Mostly she does shows at various stores to demonstrate the product, but the stories I hear of how the salespeople are treated, and how she is sometimes treated in these stores, by customers, is appalling.

Absolutely appalling.

She does the work because she likes the artistry, but she also has a master's degree in education, she is no dummy. And she doesn't really have to work. It's a part time gig. Salespeople are treated like crap on a daily basis by customers who somehow feel entitled because they're spending ten bucks on a tube of lipstick.

I mean, really.

I would last exactly one day in that career. The first customer who gave me guff would get it back in spades. And then I'd be fired. LOL

And someone who dragged me over to a computer to show me how important a customer he/she is would be ignored from that moment on. Because, really. What are you supposed to do? Kowtow to them?

I'm with you Les.

Maybe it's a generational thing. I had to stop my step-granddaughter from playing with what was left in her plate at a restaurant. She was headed toward making a disgusting mess of it. I worked as a porter in High School one summer. The stuff people did to their plates AFTER they were finished eating was criminal.

I was eating lunch with a couple of younger friends when the youngest thought it would be a good idea to take the top off the salt shaker and put the shaker upside down on the table. That didn't fly with me and a lecture ensued.

I have more stories, but I think at least you understand my point.

Happy to be sharing the planet with you, Les.

Maybe it's a generational thing.

I agree only if you also blame the generation of parents who allow it.

Children are, by nature, narcissistic. They cry and we come running. It's their 1st life lesson - before they can even speak. Some of us (parents) spend a lot of time teaching our children good manners and are bewildered by the parents who allow their children to behave so poorly.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;97033 said:

Children are, by nature, narcissistic. They cry and we come running. It's their 1st life lesson - before they can even speak. Some of us (parents) spend a lot of time teaching our children good manners and are bewildered by the parents who allow their children to behave so poorly.

amen bro

Man, this thread really took a turn, in terms of the original posters intent. Great conversation, though...a lot of good points being made.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;97033 said:

My wife teaches 2nd grade. I keep telling her to write a book about some of the behavior the schools abide and some parents even defend. No way I could tolerate it.

Man, this thread really took a turn, in terms of the original posters intent. Great conversation, though...a lot of good points being made.

Oh yeah, I'm kind of "meh" about the S2 24 myself, but because I have a core one, and the Starla demo really stood out for me. :D

Last edited:
My wife teaches 2nd grade. I keep telling her to write a book about some of the behavior the schools abide and some parents even defend. No way I could tolerate it.

It's amazing, isn't it? We met a couple recently that we really like. Finding a couple our age with kids and similar interests is really tough so we were excited to try and make friends. Their daughter is a classmate of our daughter so it seemed promising. We all met for dinner one evening and they brought both of their kids.

The youngest child (who is in pre-school) starts to throw a fit, scream, and throw chips right there in the middle of the restaurant. The kid's parents, despite everyone in the restaurant giving us the stink-eye, completely ignored it. And when they finally spoke up because I finally said something they were like "oh little Johnny... calm-down sweetie pie". Meanwhile the kid is literally screaming "NO. I WANT IT! I WANT IT". And they just laugh and go back to ignoring the kid. Ugh. It was awful.

Needless to say... we won't be spending any more time with that couple.

Good point. Back on topic... Gibson67v doesn't like Custom 24 S2's.

Last edited:
The Starla and the Mira seem to be the most appealing, at least to me. Being that there is no SE line for these two models, it seems this will be a great deal for those wanting the "Maryland Made" stamp and the build quality we've all come to know with the American line (not taking anything away from the SE's, because those are GREAT guitars too, especially for modding). For what it's worth, I kinda feel "meh" about the Custom S2 myself, but I will wait to draw any conclusions until I actually get to rock one. I really like the new gig bags, too, with the PRS signature on them. I hope PRS starts offering these bags through the Accessory Shop.

that sounds worrying to me :O reading about all those good magazine reviews on the S2, I was eager to check out one. And then the real feedback from PRS players...

:iamconfused:

I couldn't get past the way it looked to even want today it.

Back