S2 Custom 24 Hard Case

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Absntmind, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Absntmind

Absntmind New Member

Recently got an S2 Custom 24 and I am having trouble finding a hard case which fits properly. So far I've tried the top two I saw recommended online.

First I tried the PRS Multi-fit Case. The guitar sat at an angle with the neck a couple inches higher than the rest. This made the headstock sit higher than the bottom half of the case. The case would still easily close but as it does it pushes down on the headstock and lifts the body slightly (think seesaw). I didn't think the constant pressure on the headstock and neck would be good long term.

I returned it and just received an SKB 3i-4214-PRS case. Just tried it out and it seems it's a loose fit. Just slowly rocking the case on the hinges and I can hear/feel the guitar moving inside so far from a snug fit. Plus it has zero padding, the one thing I liked about the Multi-fit case.

Figured it couldn't hurt to ask here if anyone else had similar issues and found a case that works. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

Absntmind and veinbuster like this.
  3. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Absntmind likes this.
  4. Absntmind

Absntmind New Member

Thanks for the suggestions and apologize for the late reply.

Took a look at my local GT and no luck. Unfortunately they have a very limited selection at my location.

Never thought of using a Pelican case. Done it with firearms so it makes since. This might be my best option.

Thanks again!

Black Plaid likes this.
  5. justjoshin

justjoshin New Member

I just bought the multi fit case for my son’s S2 custom 24 for Christmas!!! PRS site states it fits!!! WTH!?!?

Absntmind likes this.
  6. Absntmind

Absntmind New Member

Justjoshin, I felt the same. The case will still easily close due to the weight so some might not even notice if they don't take a closer look. It will "technically" fit though will put stress on the neck in my opinion. Considering the price of the guitar not something I'd want.

I took a lot of pics pics but can't link them here yet since my account is new. I did write a short review and posted a few pictures showing the fit on Amazon where I purchased it. You can probably find it pretty easily just to give you an idea. FYI the seller was legit as was the case.

I also wrote an email to PRS customer service. I stated what happened and said I was able to easily return the case without issue (just my time). The only thing I asked/suggested was they note on their site it doesn't properly fit an S2 Custom 24 so nobody else runs into the same problem.

Their response was it's not a custom fit case and is made to fit multiple guitar styles. Due to that it won't fit any specific guitar perfectly. Also that is the case they still recommend for that guitar. Basically blew me off when I was only trying to be helpful and ask for advice on a proper fitting case.

As you can understand I wasn't happy with PRS's response. I have better pics I can link once I have enough post in this forum. Hopefully it saves at least one other person some time/trouble. As of now still looking for a case with the only option so far is customizing a Pelican myself.

7. GrumpyOldDba

GrumpyOldDba New Member

Gatorcase works for mine.

8. Absntmind

Absntmind New Member

Do you remember the model of Gator case you're using? The few I tried didn't fit well.

9. Tone Meister

Tone Meister New Member

The Gator tweed works, as does any standard Strat case - at least for my S2. Also, the Reunion Blues soft case works like a charm.

Absntmind likes this.
  10. Tony M.

Tony M. New Member

#10 Tony M., Dec 1, 2019 at 11:38 PM
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 11:43 PM
    Absntmind and justjoshin like this.
  11. GrumpyOldDba

GrumpyOldDba New Member

Yup that's the one I have. Works fine for 24 SE custom and 24 S2 Custom models.

I can even leave strap on and squeeze it in but takes a bit of mangling to do that.

Absntmind likes this.
  12. justjoshin

justjoshin New Member

wish I had seen this before ordering the PRS case.... if it is an issue I hope zzounds will let me return it and I will order the Gator.

13. drdoom8793

drdoom8793 THAT guy at Chick-fil-A

Weird, I used a PRS hard case for an S2 Custom 24 and didn't notice any issues, albeit, it wasn't a new one.

14. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Yep, works fine.

15. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

The PRS multi-fit case does not work for the Cu 24. I have several cases for almost all my PRS, and I can say for sure that the $200 multi-fit case does not fit the Cu 24 very well at all.

Absntmind likes this.
  16. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded

The PRS cases are SO freakin heavy. What do they make those things out of wet cement? :)

BTW I have several of the Gator Deluxe cases at my shop and they fit the S2 24 nicely.

Absntmind and Ovibos like this.