S2 Custom 22 vs Core Custom 22

Shane Cormier

Any noticeable tone differences, neck etc? After getting my Korina 24 (fixed bridge), seriously considering moving to the Cu22 in lieu of my Floyd Superstrat. Also, any noticeable difference in components? Thank you in advance for your input!

Any noticeable tone differences, neck etc? After getting my Korina 24 (fixed bridge), seriously considering moving to the Cu22 in lieu of my Floyd Superstrat. Also, any noticeable difference in components? Thank you in advance for your input!

There is of course a difference in tone - the bridge and pick-ups are different from the core and you have a thinner piece of maple on the top. That does combine to make a difference - not necessarily 'worse' as tone is objective - but whether or not its different enough to warrant the extra cost of a core, is very much a decision you will have to make.

I will always suggest playing both together through the same amp and see which you prefer and, if you prefer the more expensive Core, whether or not its worth spending that much more on it. The 'S' Pick-ups are great - obviously as PRS are happy to put them in their S2 models and have their name on the SE's. The bridge too is one of the best trems of its type and used on the CE/Bolt-on lines too so I wouldn't be concerned about the hardware - but it does make a difference.

I know its difficult right now to get out to a retailer and try out both together. However there is too much objectivity and at the end of the day, its your money, you that will be playing it and you that needs to be 'happy'. I can't tell you that the Core tone is better because you may have different preferences to me and prefer the S2 or maybe think that the Core isn't that much better to justify spending that much more. All I can say is that there is a difference in several areas but the S2's are great guitars and amongst the best in that price range.

Thank you! Extremely helpful. Any preferences on production years (Core)? I've been on some other forums and have friends who are longtime owners that seem to be partial to certain years. Curious as to your opinion.

Thank you! Extremely helpful. Any preferences on production years (Core)? I've been on some other forums and have friends who are longtime owners that seem to be partial to certain years. Curious as to your opinion.

I think the 'production' years come down more to preference in Pick-ups. As far as I am concerned, PRS don't seem to settle on what they have made and look to continuously tweak and evolve the instrument - but of course you also have the fact that guitars rely on 'natural' materials so you may want 'Brazilian' rosewood over an Indian Rosewood fretboard. I really don't believe that PRS have a 'bad' era - not like Fender's CBS era or the Norland era for Gibson either and have always made high quality instruments - therefore you may prefer an 'era' that used the 57/08 or maybe the HFS/Vintage over the 85/15's.

I would be interested to hear why they favour certain years - if not for the pick-ups that they were sold with as stock. I haven't got a Custom 22 myself - although my PRS Special Semi-Hollow is based on that. It has the 58/15's though (as well as a 57/08 NF) which are different to the regular Custom 22's 85/15's. I like the 85/15's in my Custom 24.

If you are buying a new '2020' Core Custom 22, you will get the 85/15's that have had the TCI process applied and of course, PRS's Nitro finish - so again its an 'evolution' on from the 2019 (and earlier) models. Those updates may well make people feel the new 2020 'era' is the 'best' because 'Nitro' as standard is their preference or the 85/15's with the TCI process are their favourites.

I think the 'production' years come down more to preference in Pick-ups. As far as I am concerned, PRS don't seem to settle on what they have made and look to continuously tweak and evolve the instrument - but of course you also have the fact that guitars rely on 'natural' materials so you may want 'Brazilian' rosewood over an Indian Rosewood fretboard. I really don't believe that PRS have a 'bad' era - not like Fender's CBS era or the Norland era for Gibson either and have always made high quality instruments - therefore you may prefer an 'era' that used the 57/08 or maybe the HFS/Vintage over the 85/15's.

I would be interested to hear why they favour certain years - if not for the pick-ups that they were sold with as stock. I haven't got a Custom 22 myself - although my PRS Special Semi-Hollow is based on that. It has the 58/15's though (as well as a 57/08 NF) which are different to the regular Custom 22's 85/15's. I like the 85/15's in my Custom 24.

If you are buying a new '2020' Core Custom 22, you will get the 85/15's that have had the TCI process applied and of course, PRS's Nitro finish - so again its an 'evolution' on from the 2019 (and earlier) models. Those updates may well make people feel the new 2020 'era' is the 'best' because 'Nitro' as standard is their preference or the 85/15's with the TCI process are their favourites.
Not exactly sure as to specifically why some years were preferred although I do remember there was a "quality" comment. I have a line on a used 2019 S2 if that makes any difference.

Not exactly sure as to specifically why some years were preferred although I do remember there was a "quality" comment. I have a line on a used 2019 S2 if that makes any difference.

I really don't recall PRS ever having any 'quality' issues at all and certainly never heard of any 'era' that you should look out for or avoid. O am sure its most likely to come down to pick-up choice and some thinking that the 57/08's were a 'better quality' than HFS/Vintage or 85/15's for example for their preference.

As I said, you really ought to try the S2 and a Core to see for yourself. The S2's are great guitars and could well be the 'best' bang for buck US made PRS guitars but you may think the Core is worth paying 'extra' for - you won't know until you get to try both together and compare side by side.

Try the S2 if you can. I stupidly sold one because I didn’t like the pickups for the blues. The neck was fine and it vibrated like mad when I hit a note, which is always the most important thing to me. Any other idiot would have changed the pickups. There is no “best” in my mind. I consider that the province of cork sniffers and non-guitar players. If you play it and it speaks to you, you should get it. I have every level, and all the ones I have give me a buzz when I play them. They range from 1991 to 2018.

The S2 and Core lines really are different sounding for previous years. I have heard that the tone is closer between the two in the recent production guitars, but haven’t had an opportunity to try them yet. Comparing earlier “s” pickups to the core pickups, I could really hear a difference. Cores were more dynamic and clearer sounding. The feel of the guitars was also different. I can see why people would prefer one or the other, but I can’t say which a person would prefer. I have a core and an S2, but different models. I like them both.

Back