S2 Custom 22 vs 24.... 2017 vs 2018

Cbouty

Hey all,

This is my first post here! Just a little background to help with my question. I bought my first Squire at age 21. I played it for a year, sold it, and bought a brand new 1997 American Strat. After about six months, life happened (kids, wife, grad school, and no time for guitar). My Strat followed me around the country as a cool decoration in my living rooms over the next 20 years and I literally played it twice over that time span. About three months ago, I just picked it up and fell in love with the guitar again. I have been playing everyday for at least 3-4 hours and I am now ready to buy a second guitar. I live in the rural Pacific NW and my closest real guitar shop is several hours away. A few weeks ago, I made the trip, played a ton of guitars, and the PRS blew me away.

So on to my questions?

I loved the look, feel, and options of the S2 Custom. I think I’m set on a S2 Custom 22 as I want something that can get me warmer tones than my Strat can achieve. However, it seems like all the buzz on the internet is about PRS’s 24’s. Other than the obvious difference in the location of the neck pickup and the extra two frets (which I’ll likely never play), am I missing something that I’ll regret not getting the S2 custom 24 later?

I’m having a pretty hard time finding the differences between the 2017 and 2018 S2 Customs online. Has alot changed? Should I wait to get a 2018 that wont be available for a few months or get a 2017 now?

Lastly, it sounds like PRS has some great quality control and is pretty much set up right out of the box. Is it worth it to find my closest dealer that has the guitar I want or has anyone had an experience with ordering online from Sweetwater or Musicians Friend?

Welcome!

Great choice on the S2 Customs - they're fantastic instruments. The 2018 (and I believe 2017 as well) Customs all have the 58/15S pickups. The only real difference between the 22 and 24, aside from the extra 2 frets, is that the neck pickup has a little more twang and spank compared to a 22 fret, because of the closer proximity to the bridge. Everything else is basically the same. I think some players like the tone of the neck pickup on a 24 feet instrument because it isn't as bassy and cuts a little more. Personally, I'm more of a 22 fret guy, I like that neck pickup tone fatter.

Aside from the colors availabe, I don't know of any differences between '17 and '18 guitars.

Edit: I would recommend Sweetwater over Musicians Friend, their customer service is top notch.

So, I know this is a totally individual prefence question, but....

If it was you, would you wait until April to buy a 2018 S2 custom 22 or buy the 2016 S2 custom 22 that I just found on reverb for $850 bucks in the color I wanted.... Ive never bought a used instrument before and it makes me nervous for some unknown reason....

It makes you nervous specifically because you've never done it before. Used is a fine way to go. I've bought used (and new) many times. Been happy with all of them. Just talk to the guy and get all the details until you feel comfortable. Reverb is usually trustworthy.

So, I know this is a totally individual prefence question, but....

If it was you, would you wait until April to buy a 2018 S2 custom 22 or buy the 2016 S2 custom 22 that I just found on reverb for $850 bucks in the color I wanted.... Ive never bought a used instrument before and it makes me nervous for some unknown reason....

If it's in good condition and the seller is established, I would get the '16, save a few bucks! Although the 16's may have the #7 pickups, instead of the 85/15's. The 7's can be polarizing pickups, some love them, some hate them. Even I found them to be perfect in one guitar, in another I didn't care for the bridge as much (not bad just not my thing) so I swapped it for a USA 59/09. But you'll have plenty of money for new pickups if you don't like the 7's.

Back