S2 Custom 22 versus 24

Kred

Thankful today
I am new to PRS and this forum, I am relearning how to play, and shopping for a new guitar. I have a 70s USA Telecaster now, and have been trying a few PRS S2 and Core guitars at a dealer. I want something lighter and more comfortable, and less bright for blues, jazz and classic rock. Some opinions from PRS experts would help me decide.

Why S2 Custom 22 and 24 (besides 2 frets)? Are they designed for different music?

What do all the pickup names mean (59/09, HFS, S2 #7)? Why are S2 Custom 22 pickups shielded and S2 Custom 24 not? Does PRS have a pickup guide to explain all this?

Is the S2 tremolo rock solid? I like perfect tuning and intonation.

Is the S2 noisy? I can't really tell in the store.

Thanks!

22 and 24 frets feel and sound different, especially on the neck pickup (due to the neck pickup being closer to the bridge). For some darker tones, you might like the 22 better. It will also be closer in feel to the Tele's 21 frets. You can't go wrong with either. Go play them and see what speaks to you.

Noisy? I've only played S2s in the store, as well. Seem fine to me.

If you can, find a Singlecut Hollowbody. I think you'll love it for jazz, blues, and classic rock, and the weight is awesome. My SC HB standard (all mahogany) weights 6lbs and the SC HB II weights 6.2lbs. Pure awesomeness.

Hello, I am also relearning to play the guitar again, being old and retired has giving me more time than I know what to do with. A few years back I was in a coma for 2 months , so I had to relearn everything that most people take for granted. My fine motor skills were also effected. I am not planning on playing for a band nor for the public, just basically for my enjoyment. I know there are many sites on You tube. But they can be confusing. I am on a limited income, so if anyone come across a good free site please let me know, or if someone has a good routine to practice also let me know. I will greatly appreciate it.
Thank you for your time,
Mike

Back