S2 Custom 22 bridge rattle/body contact w/ trem use

Paladin

Hey guys - a question.. I've got a 2014 S2 Custom 22 (strung w/ 9's). Lately the bridge has started hitting the body of the guitar when I use the trem... The bridge is actually hitting the body, even with moderate trem use (no dive bombing).

While using the trem arm, the rear of the bridge lifting up and then coming down and hitting the body is what is happening..

Trem action still works fine - It's just disconcerting when I hear that "thwap" now of the bridge on the body of the guitar. Especially since it's never done that before..

I've had the guitar for three years or so, and it just started doing this. Not sure why. Any ideas?

Thanks!

PmNTFMu.jpg

A0v28LE.jpg

Funny you would just notice this after 3 years, the PRS trem is only designed for a SMALL up-movment, and then it hits the body. There are some with an uproute to increase this.
Is it possible you trem is no longer level with the body ?
sounds like you might need to adjust your trem springs to relevel your bridge

My guess is you had 10's on it and now are using 9's. This, without an adjustment to the tension springs, would put the back of the bridge closer to the body and cause the sound you are hearing. Just tighten the spring tension (claw) screws until the bridge is level again.

My guess is you had 10's on it and now are using 9's. This, without an adjustment to the tension springs, would put the back of the bridge closer to the body and cause the sound you are hearing. Just tighten the spring tension (claw) screws until the bridge is level again.

Yep, this.

BINGO! You must be psychic... That is exactly what happened. I recently put 9's on the guitar in place of the 10's that I had on it before. Guess I should have mentioned that it had 10's on it before..

And yep - the bridge hitting the body with trem use started around the time I put 9's on...

Thanks for the answer re the tightening of the claw screws - I will definitely do that. That's gotta be it!

Last edited:
Loosen the trem claw screws a little, tune, check bridge (should be parallel about 1/16" above the top). Repeat until it's right.

Heck, even when I have the bridge adjusted level I bang it against the body all the time. I have learned to embrace the clank.

Loosen the trem claw screws a little, tune, check bridge (should be parallel about 1/16" above the top). Repeat until it's right.

Heck, even when I have the bridge adjusted level I bang it against the body all the time. I have learned to embrace the clank.

Thanks for the tip! Will do. (Yep, "clank" is definitely the best word for that... !!)

Well, an update on my "clanking" bridge/trem issue..

As AP515 mentioned, he guessed (correctly) that I had recently changed over from 10's to 9's.

And actually, after the string gauge change to 9's, I wasn't totally happy with the feel of 9's on this guitar.. I thought the 9's were a little too slinky for this one.. So before messing with the spring tension (claw screws), I decided to try a little experiment, and try a set of D'Addario 9.5 - 44 hybrids on the guitar.

That did the trick!

I guess the slightly higher gauge strings gave the tension that little something extra it needed - Who knows? But the trem action works perfectly again now. No more clanging of the bridge against the body when I use the trem.

Thanks all, for the advice! Much appreciated.. I'm a happy camper now!

2KeHxk9.jpg

Pn2vLVT.jpg

Back