s2 as first PRS - what to buy

Bro

Hi

I've only been playing for a couple of years and still sound quite awful but that hasn't stopped me from wanting to upgrade to an S2.
I was recommended to check out the zach myers and liked it so much I tried an s2 to see what I cold get for a spending more money.
So far I have only been able to try a custom 24 in white which I liked a lot.

Watching videos online I really like the sound of the S2 Mira, but how does its versatility compare to the custom?
I'm looking for a guitar to love and have a long term mostly platonic relationship with - I don't have the space to buy a legion of guitars.

I mostly like to listen to indie, alt rock and garage blues like the white stripes, but as I'm learning guitar I'm getting into classic rock such as zepplin and folk stuff like nick drake, and even the beatles as I've discovered most of what I normally like to listen to is really boring to play.

What of the semi hollows? Is there any reason why I might regret buying a solid body S2 over the semi hollows?
The semi hollows look beautiful but is there something I will loose going semi hollow?

I have a S2 Mira and love it. In the past I would decide what kind of stuff I was going to play, pick out the best guitar I own for that and play. With the Mira I just pick it up and start work, and even if I change my mind to pull another sound out of it is just a quick twist of the volume or flip of the pickup selector or amp setting and I'm off.
Oh, and it's incredibly comfortable to play standing, sitting and while surfing.

Lots of S2 Mira threads, just do a search, but I'd say start with this one...
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthr...a-Versus-Bernie-Comparo&highlight=Mira+bernie

I am also an S2 Mira player, and it was my first PRS. It has become my go-to guitar for just about everything (I am mostly a classic rock/metal guy) and I can't get a bad sound out of it, and the coil taps work as advertised. Another benefit, as Mike mentions, is it is incredibly light and comfortable and the neck shape is instantly perfect. My other guitars have mostly been gathering dust since I got this one.

I'd go look for a used Custom 24 - you played it and liked it - LOTS out there - check "The Gear Page" and "Reverb". Also check the dealer sites - check the dealers that post in the dealer section here. ;)

For Classic Rock - be sure to play the family of (used) Single Cuts - Stripped 58, SC245, SC250, Tremonti ;)

Good hunting! :D

Last edited:
Ahh I'm really torn :p Looks like I have to buy a Mira blind as no retailer wants to carry it in my location due to being less popular than the custom.
Watching the official PRS S2 Mira demonstration with J Hayes at the 2:20 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgLluCjpV10

The mira goes into this great harmonic sustain. Does the S2 Custom also do that?

Last edited:
The Mira seems a great choice for your style. I'd consider an old mira(pre s2) and the new semi hollow as well.

If you really liked the new Zach Myers SE, you might consider an S2 Semi Hollow Singlecut.
That way you get a Maryland Made "version" of that guitar.
As far as losing anything with a chambered body, I think you'd be good to go. No worries there.
If anything, you will gain some versatility and tonal options with the Semi Hollow S2 line.
IMHO, YMMV and all that jazz....

A store is going to get a mira in for me to try out and hopefully buy :)

Should take a few days to be transferred from the distributor.
They should also be getting the custom and single cut semi hollows so I can try those too.

Can't wait to try it out

I've always liked the look of the Mira - right back from the original Core model - but for me, the S2 Mira is the best one yet as it the 24 fret necks on the Core models were too skinny for my liking. I also think the Mira and Starla are the real "stars" of the S2 line since they offer something different, as opposed to the Singlecut and Custom which you could buy better/cheaper versions of by shopping in the Core/SE lines respectively. Don't get me wrong - they look and sound really nice but I feel the S2 Mira and Starla offer something new that you can't get in the other lines and that makes them more appealing for me.

Now - with the Semi-Hollow models now release, the Custom and SingleCut now offer something you can't get in the Core line. So, if it were me, I'd be toying between a Singlecut SH, Mira SH or Mira. :)

EDIT: I should also say, I tried an S2 Custom 24 and was surprised by how comfortable and 'substantial' the neck felt vs older 24 fret PRS guitars I've played. I also tried an S2 Mira recently and absolutely loved it: really great neck, light weight but balanced and great classic rock/blues sounds: although I'm sure it would do more I just had it through a single channel Marshall-esque amp so I was kinda going for one tone and it nailed it. :)

Thanks for the advice all, I tried it and bought it.
Burst with birds and it looks so much better in person than it does in the photos.

Had a family gathering the day I took it home, but played with it unplugged for some time that night.

It has a great acoustic sound and certain notes really seem to project from the guitar rather than just the strings.
Super light, and the hard tail is a palm muting dream.

So you went with the Mira? Great choice as a lot of us S2 Mira owners will tell you. ;)

I have to give PRS credit that they never gave up on the Mira idea and may have finally found the sweet spot for design and price for it.

I had one of the original Miras, and loved it. The design of the guitar is just so right for so many things.

I need to try an original, but they didn't seem to get the traction that the new ones are getting. At least it seems that way to me.

Congrats! Now you need to post a NGD thread with photos!!!

Congrats! The core Miras are very cool, and my limited experience w/the S2 version didn't seem all that far away. Well, other than the core came with two bonus frets.

Back