S2 594 Singlecut

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by markd21, Oct 5, 2021.

1. markd21

markd21 New Member

Yo, yo PRS peeps!! I need a new Singlecut. In a moment of dire need I let my perfect SC245 57/08 LTD go to a new home. My soul aches for its glorious tone. I know where a couple are located, but I am not in the position to drop Core coin right now.

What I am inquiring about is people's (those who have experience with) opinions on the S2 594SC. I am optimistic that it will be awesome, having had many S2s in the past. I am confortable with build quality. I love the contouring.

What I'd like to know is if the guitar has the little bit of extra low-end grunt that the SC245 had. I see the 594 models as the natural evolution of the 245, so I'm guessing that the "oomph" is there. While I usually keep the pickups stock in my PRS guitars, I want to install 57/08s. Those of you that know me, know the 57/08 is THE pickup I love....

Opinions? Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!!

SinSir and dogrocketp like this.
  2. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I can't help much, other than to say I love my 594, and would probably put a 57/08 bridge in it if I didn't like the 58/15 so much. I've actually thought about outfitting an S2 594 with a 57/08 bridge pickup, if I were to get one.

markd21 likes this.
  3. tyfu20

tyfu20 Fast Man....let me tell you my story

I have a S2 DC with the stock 58/15S' and I believe it qualifies as having the oomph, so I'm sure the SC should have it in abundance. Do it!

4. ViggoP

ViggoP New Member

I played one in a store the other day and was extremely impressed. I owned a first year S2 Vela that I didn’t love. This was something very different.

dogrocketp and markd21 like this.
  5. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby New Member

I'm with them, I say go for it!

dogrocketp likes this.
  6. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

I vote do it and report back! I've been kicking around the exact same idea for a while now. I was very close to making it happen a couple times this year until I randomly stumbled on a Les Paul I had to have and then Vela stole my heart. Someday I'll have a S2 594 SC with 57/08.

7. GarrettIvo

GarrettIvo New Member

I have the same variant and I agree with all of this.

8. chicagoslim

chicagoslim New Member

I recently bought a S2 McCarty 594 Singlecut. I'm still hoping to bond with the guitar. I've never been a Les Paul or McCarty guy. My style of playing requires a tremolo and it might just be the lack that bothers me. I play Custom 22's (2 core & 2 S2's), 98% of the time. I also prefer a single volume and tone control. I've got the 58/15S LT TCI pickups and kind of like the 85/15S pickups better. I swapped a set of Porter Gatekeepers into a S2 Custom and a Bootstrap Vintage Clean set, into my Zach Myers. For inexpensive pickups, they have been very impressive. I've also had a hotter set of Seymour Duncan, Saturday Night Specials, in a S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow. They have more grunt and still sound very good when split.

Good luck with your search. So far, I'm still a Custom 22, lover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sybo, markd21, Alnus Rubra and 2 others like this.
  9. markd21

markd21 New Member

Very cool. Thanks. I'm a CU22 guy as well.

chicagoslim likes this.
  10. MarcWink

MarcWink New Member

I highly recommend the S2 594 McCarty SC. I've had one since around April of this year, and it's been seeing a lot of playing time. I swapped the 58/15S pickups for a set of 58/15 LT's and it's a superb guitar that will handle anything I throw at it. Absolutely love everything about this guitar. Comfortable neck profile, I love having independent volume and tone controls and being able to split the pickups individually. It really opens up a lot of different options when playing...is it weird that I like having coil splits on a PRS single cutaway guitar but absolutely detest it on a "G" brand singlecut?

markd21 likes this.
  11. GarrettIvo

GarrettIvo New Member

That's probably more to do with the difference in quality between the two makers.
    Did you just have a set of 58/15LT laying around, or did you buy them somewhere?

I've got no great need to change out my stock S2 594 pickups.... but I may consider it one day.