Hipcritical

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to PRS and the forum.
I'm absolutely loving everything I see and read about the S2 McCarty 594 Single Cut, but because of supply chain issues and covid and every other bit of wonkyness the world has thrown at us the last 2 years, there are almost none of these guitars available in Canada (I have my eye on one on Reverb), and there are literally zero available in the city I live.
I'm not the type of person to buy one of these online, without test driving and knowing that the comfort and feel is right for me, so I've been stuck waiting...
Recently I was lucky enough to find 1 used model that I immediately went and test drove - I loved everything about it except for the weight balance.

The back end on that guitar was so heavy that the neck was tipping up like crazy - if I took my neck-hand off the guitar I had to make really sure I had a hold of it with the other hand, because it would tip back so quickly and easily that I would easily drop the guitar (if I wasn't being careful).

I expected it to be a bit back heavy given the size and weight of the body, however the degree to which it seemed off balance was really quite surprising.
So much of what I've read/heard about PRS is the dedication to amazing craftsmanship, paying attention to the fine details and playability etc. that this just seems too big to be an oversight in the design. So maybe there was simply something weird or off with the (only) model I had the ability to try? Again - used so can't confirm the history of the instrument or anything like that.

So the question is - what are others' experience with weight balance of this guitar?
Does what I described above sound consistent for this model?
If these were normal times I'd just go to the next shop and try another one... but alas these are not normal times.
I really WANT to love this guitar... but this might be a deal breaker for me! Help!!!

I'm targeting a 2021 issue S2 594 McCarty Single Cut, and I play almost entirely while sitting down / guitar resting on leg.

I just did a quick experiment with my S2 Starla and my 78 (79?) Les Paul Deluxe - the heaviest LP-types I own. (The LP Deluxe weighs something like 11 lbs!)

If the guitars are horizontal on my thigh, they are relatively balanced. But as soon as there is the slightest tilt up to the neck, then there is an increasing desire to tip more, because that's what CofG does.

Is that what you experienced? If so, I think it is just typical to the shape/design of a solid-body LP-type guitar.

I have an S2 594 single cut. I've not experienced your issue. These are usually fairly light guitars and balance well. These guitars are an excellent value and consistently play superb, if you like a chunky neck.

Not just a PRS Singlecut thing; it is characteristic of Les Pauls and any other guitar that has a large lower bout with small upper bout. In my experience, it gets more noticeable as body weight goes up, so you might be happy if you comb for a light one.

You can also try wearing a strap even when you're seated, or you can adjust your posture and place the lower bout between your legs.

My solution, and my general preference with a PRS, is to buy the double-cut version instead. With the extended horn they balance well, although nothing balances better on my leg than a Strat...

IMHO, the Double Cut McCarty’s balance better on the knee, and they’re generally 1 pound less in weight.. They are made with less wood on the body. Also, because most of the weight is in the body, get one at 8 lbs or less… ideally 7.5 for me…. Great couch guitar or standing up for live performance..
The SC 594’s that I played reminded me to much of a Gibson LP, just in terms of body weight, which I was, am, trying to get away from. My 7 1/2 lb DGT has a perfect balance imho….and of course it’s a double cutaway

Last edited:
One person's 'doesn't balance well' is another person's 'this is exactly right for my expectations'.

It's all entirely subjective.

I think it's almost wishful thinking to expect a thicker bodied guitar to be perfectly balanced against the neck, and this (to me) includes vintage Les Pauls.

So it's a matter of managing expectations, personal preference, and all the associated effluvia that goes along with that! There's no right, and no wrong in this stuff. It's all personal choice.

Hey thanks for all the feedback!
After I posted this I took a closer look at what I'm currently playing, and having never paid particular attention to balance before, I realized that my current guitar is quite neck-heavy actually so the difference between the 2 is pretty stark, which I think must be what caught me most off-guard initially.

Long story short - back to the store for a longer (more dedicated) try-out session. I played the S2 single cut against 4 different LP's they had, and the comfort and playability (and balance) of the PRS is insane!

Gotta wait a bit for delivery, but the new model is on order... Fire Red Burst.
Woot!

I see you've already resolved the issue, but I'll throw it out there that the older S2 Standard Singlecut and the S2 Semi-Hollow Singlecut guitars don't do that, at least not to the extent you experienced. They are lighter guitars, around 7.5 pounds.

Back