S2 594 pickup output

GarrettIvo

So I've had my McCarty for just over a week and am digging it plenty.
I haven't been able to play it overly long, or loud, due to the kids and work.

But decided to check the output of the 58/15s pickups.

Wondering how these numbers compare to anyone else who has the same instrument...

Neck : 8.09 and 5.02

Bridge : 8.66 and 5.78

Middle: 4.18 in humbucker mode and 2.68 when both split.

Middle: 3.17 with neck only split, and 3.37 with bridge only split.

I feel these figures are in the ballpark of what I was hoping for in this guitar. The humbuckers aren't super hot to me, and the split coil sounds are quite nice, and take some light OD really well.

I do need another drive pedal to test some stacking possibilities.

DC resistance tells one almost nothing about a pickup's output. A pickup's output is a function of its inductance and the strength and shape its magnetic field. One needs LCR and gauss meters to conduct an apples to apples comparison between pickups. The only thing that DC resistance is useful for is determining the sharpness of the resonant peak (a.k.a. the q-factor), which is the ratio of inductance to resistance.

DC resistance tells one almost nothing about a pickup's output. A pickup's output is a function of its inductance and the strength and shape its magnetic field. One needs LCR and gauss meters to conduct an apples to apples comparison between pickups. The only thing that DC resistance is useful for is determining the sharpness of the resonant peak (a.k.a. the q-factor), which is the ratio of inductance to resistance.

Right.

Well let's assume I'm not going to get myself an LCR and/or guess metre, and an am merely seeking any feedback from others with the same model of guitar, vis a vis a similar DC resistance.

Purely as a conversation point.

I don’t have these pickups so I can’t help you there, but your question is a perfectly reasonable one

S2 594
Neck: 8.02k/4.91k
Bridge: 8.51k/5.7k

S2 594 Thinline
Neck: 8.14k/4.97k
Bridge: 8.72k/5.88k

Right.

Well let's assume I'm not going to get myself an LCR and/or guess metre, and an am merely seeking any feedback from others with the same model of guitar, vis a vis a similar DC resistance.

Purely as a conversation point.

DC resistance still tells one very little about the output and frequency response of a pickup. That is because a pickup's response is determined variances in wire diameter how it is laid down on the bobbin, which determines a pickup's self-capacitance. A pickup's output is based on its inductance and its magnetic field. Trying to determine a pickups output and response by measuring DC resistance is akin to using a divining rod to find water. I use an Extech LCR meter, which is a several hundred dollar expenditure, but there budget LCR meters that cost less than $50.00 that are good enough for measuring guitar pickups. An LCR meter will measure inductance and capacitance in addition to DC resistance.

Here is an LCR meter that costs $34.00: https://www.amazon.com/Proster-Mult...locphy=9007941&hvtargid=pla-437813406196&th=1

Back