S2 10 Top!

Hey Colt! Thanks for the order...
I've never seen an S2 with a "10" marked on the back of the headstock, so I'm just saying not only are you getting a fantastic guitar...
It must be a unicorn!
I literally received this guitar 2 weeks ago, but the tag is marked completed in April 2018. My best guess would be it was an export guitar that never shipped, or part of a special run/wood library that was built as an extra.
Congrats my friend.
JD

I love that PRS lets its oddities out into the world. Do they just occasionally share a list of random stuff that dealers can buy, with no real explanation? That's how it seems to me. For instance, my CU22 reportedly has a Pattern Vintage neck, was completed late Dec '16, and then Righteous Guitars bought it off of PRS about six months later.

But it makes sense. With a very thin veneer, many guitars can come from a single billet as opposed to one guitar from a carved top or even a much thicker S2 top. I paid a visit to Booth Veener Company in southern Indiana years ago (they did the interiors of Air Force One). They had some of the most extraordinary wood I’ve ever laid my eyes on. But they cut it into veneer so so much of it could be used.

As a side note, the owner of the company at that time was from my home town. I was told a story about a single log that rolled off the freighter in heavy seas. They had paid $800,000 for that one log. :eek:
Thanks for the info. It still sucks.....

Update:
Just came back and re-read this thread, want to add a few things...

1] My first post came out way more rude and... dickish than I intended. I want to apologize to the OP... sorry dude!
Congrats on your new gittar! I hope it brings you much happiness! And if the S2 "10" top thing is legit, then extra bonus!

2] As for my ZM, I really got lucky on that one. And even though it's a veneer top, that's still real wood... not like it's a photoflame print deal.
And lastly, for a "thin" veneer, it sure looks impressive around the edges... even if that's a maple cap the veneer is attached to.

0991.jpg

I emailed PRS Customer Support this morning and this is what I got back!

Hi Colt,

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. We made a handful of 10 Top S2 Customs as a test run for a possible 10 Top option. In the end, the 10 Top option was never implemented, so only the handful of these guitars exist.

Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars. I hope you find this information helpful.

Shawn Nuthall

PRS Guitars

I’m pretty stoked to say the least!

Update:

1] My first post came out way more rude and... dickish than I intended. I want to apologize to the OP... sorry dude!
Congrats on your new gittar! I hope it brings you much happiness! And if the S2 "10" top thing is legit, then extra bonus!

2] As for my ZM, I really got lucky on that one. And even though it's a veneer top, that's still real wood... not like it's a photoflame print deal.
And lastly, for a "thin" veneer, it sure looks impressive around the edges... even if that's a maple cap the veneer is attached to.

0991.jpg

It’s all good! I have the same problem unfortunately :rolleyes: I get accused of that all the time. You do have a really nice looking top on your ZM, even if it is a veneer!

Hi Colt,

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. We made a handful of 10 Top S2 Customs as a test run for a possible 10 Top option. In the end, the 10 Top option was never implemented, so only the handful of these guitars exist.

Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars. I hope you find this information helpful.

Shawn Nuthall

PRS Guitars

I’d stick that note In my guitar case. Nice piece to own.

[QUOTE="xjbebop, post: 441121, member: 7037]
As for my ZM, I really got lucky on that one. And even though it's a veneer top, that's still real wood... not like it's a photoflame print deal.

0991.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Looks like the maple under the veneer has some figure in it. That’s pretty cool. I got lucky with the neck on my ZM.

[/URL]

Last edited:
[QUOTE="xjbebop, post: 441121, member: 7037]
As for my ZM, I really got lucky on that one. And even though it's a veneer top, that's still real wood... not like it's a photoflame print deal.

0991.jpg

Looks like the maple under the veneer has some figure in it. That’s pretty cool. I got lucky with the neck on my ZM.

[/QUOTE]

I love my ZM but that is one nice looking neck!

But it makes sense. With a very thin veneer, many guitars can come from a single billet as opposed to one guitar from a carved top or even a much thicker S2 top. I paid a visit to Booth Veener Company in southern Indiana years ago (they did the interiors of Air Force One). They had some of the most extraordinary wood I’ve ever laid my eyes on. But they cut it into veneer so so much of it could be used.

As a side note, the owner of the company at that time was from my home town. I was told a story about a single log that rolled off the freighter in heavy seas. They had paid $800,000 for that one log. :eek:
Ugh! Now that’s a real sunk cost! Sorry, couldn’t resist. But they had insurance on it, right? :)

Ugh! Now that’s a real sunk cost! Sorry, couldn’t resist. But they had insurance on it, right? :)

They did indeed. “General average” is a peril that is covered by marine insurance. That means voluntarily abandoning overboard to save the ship. I don’t think that was the case here, but I still think that’s interesting. It’s one of the few insurance claims where intentional is not an exclusion.

Hmmm.... I've got an SE ZM with a much nicer top than that... guess I should pen a "10" on it... ;)

1012.jpg

Update:

0991.jpg

Still worthy of a gold sharpie 10, in my opinion. And as Steve says, figured timber under the veneer gives the impression of a solid top. Very nice:D

Hi Colt,

Shawn Nuthall

PRS Guitars

Who is this Shawn Nuthall, what are his credentials?!;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R1ucs58G8xBMxJAN9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aruAPJqCMmi4SjtU6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FpvnFP2goaAyKqZt6

Finally trying to get some photos on here!

I am hosting the pictures on google, but it won't let me just post them, only post a link.

Beautiful looking guitar Colt, great post and updates from GMTRAV and Shawn.

Back