S2 10 Top!

Colt

Hello all,

I just bought a 2018 S2 Faded Blue Smokeburst Custom 24 off of Reverb that had a 10 Top mark on the back of the headstock.

I assume this isn't something that happens very often?

Any info on this would be appreciated!

Thanks

I'd be interested to see. Someone could easily get a paint pen and just mark the 10 off. However, the former rhythm guitarist for my favorite band, He Is Legend, used to have an S2 Custom 22 with a crazy good top, easily 10-top quality. I wonder if they sometimes do one-offs for artists or something.

Edit: Maybe @Shawn@PRS can advise?

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I've got an SE ZM with a much nicer top than that... guess I should pen a "10" on it... ;)

1012.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I’ll get some pics up of my other guitars as well. I absolutely love surfing the forum so far looking at all the sweet guitars!

Why do these se have a waaaaay better top than my 2018 S2 cu24....... this really sucks.

Hmmm.... I've got an SE ZM with a much nicer top than that... guess I should pen a "10" on it... ;)

1012.jpg

Wow!!!

I've seen some nice SE tops, and that one is right up there, perhaps the most precise and symmetrical flame I've seen. Personally, I could care less if they're a veneer, there's still a maple cap under there, so I would think the tone is the same.

Hey Colt! Thanks for the order...
I've never seen an S2 with a "10" marked on the back of the headstock, so I'm just saying not only are you getting a fantastic guitar...
It must be a unicorn!
I literally received this guitar 2 weeks ago, but the tag is marked completed in April 2018. My best guess would be it was an export guitar that never shipped, or part of a special run/wood library that was built as an extra.
Congrats my friend.
JD

Hey Colt! Thanks for the order...
I've never seen an S2 with a "10" marked on the back of the headstock, so I'm just saying not only are you getting a fantastic guitar...
It must be a unicorn!
I literally received this guitar 2 weeks ago, but the tag is marked completed in April 2018. My best guess would be it was an export guitar that never shipped, or part of a special run/wood library that was built as an extra.
Congrats my friend.
JD

Thank you!
It's a beautiful guitar from what I could see in the pics. I'm willing to bet it looks even better in person.

Wonder if it has some magic to help my playing...being a unicorn and all! Ha! ;)

Why do these se have a waaaaay better top than my 2018 S2 cu24....... this really sucks.

But it makes sense. With a very thin veneer, many guitars can come from a single billet as opposed to one guitar from a carved top or even a much thicker S2 top. I paid a visit to Booth Veener Company in southern Indiana years ago (they did the interiors of Air Force One). They had some of the most extraordinary wood I’ve ever laid my eyes on. But they cut it into veneer so so much of it could be used.

As a side note, the owner of the company at that time was from my home town. I was told a story about a single log that rolled off the freighter in heavy seas. They had paid $800,000 for that one log. :eek:

Last edited:
Back