Rush, Lifeson and PRS

I play in a Rush tribute and have wasted a lot of Internet time researching what PRS Alex has played over the years. Below is my compilation of all of the PRS guitars Alex has used based on YouTube, interviews and photos I've found on the Internet. I've also got a breakdown of which guitars were used for which tours and songs. I even have pinpointed almost to the day when he switched from using Signature guitars to his first PRS guitars - the black and sunburst CE 24s.

My list kinda sloppy, as it's really just notes for myself, so feel free to ask any questions if something doesn't make sense.
  1. CE24
    1. Black - 1991 serial number, http://forums.prsguitars.com/thread...ut-alex-lifesons-black-ce-24.6404/#post-99569 Read thread for more info.
    2. Black CE24 guitar with single-coils
    3. Red
    4. Red with piezo - 2 outputs so can easily switch between piezo and magnetic using pedal
    5. Green
    6. Sunburst w/birds and humbuckers (RTB tour book).
    7. Sunburst w/Evans & Seymour Duncan Trembucker - same as Time Stand Still guitar, or was that one custom built, routed, etc? Rig Rundown video shows closeup of routing which doesn’t look like a humbucker filled in, but who knows. Maybe this guitar is one of the ones he custom ordered?
    8. Blue in Rush in Rio with gold hardware - same as blue guitar in older videos/photos? - Tuned to F# for Big Money
    9. dark purple-ish from Guitar One magazine Sep/Oct 1996
  2. Singlecut
    1. Red burst Quilt Singlecut
    2. Orange burst (?) (http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2009/05/20/1846/Alex-Lifeson-guest-appearance-at-Tragically-Hip-show
      )
  3. Other
    1. Sunburst NF3 - Time Stand Still on Baltimore & later dates of Time Machine tour
    2. Hollowbody w/piezo - photo in Snakes & Arrows tour book, Mystic Rhythms - R30
    3. EG http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/guitarist-05.1992.php, photo from R30 tour book, RTB motif
    4. Custom 22/12 String(?) - R40 http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/94141-all-of-alexs-guitars-used-on-r40-tour-spoilers/
    5. SE acoustic signature model
    6. Tremonti - first few shows of Snakes & Arrows tour for Between the Wheels (photo?). Possible videos:
      June 13, 2007,
      June 20, 2007 - PRS singlecut w/trem visible after 4:50
    7. Stoptail 22 fret from TFE tour book
    8. sunburst trem 22 fret
And here's my couch shot of my 3 Alex CE24s.

my_prs_zpsxciwlq3c.jpg

I play in a Rush tribute and have wasted a lot of Internet time researching what PRS Alex has played over the years. Below is my compilation of all of the PRS guitars Alex has used based on YouTube, interviews and photos I've found on the Internet. I've also got a breakdown of which guitars were used for which tours and songs. I even have pinpointed almost to the day when he switched from using Signature guitars to his first PRS guitars - the black and sunburst CE 24s.

My list kinda sloppy, as it's really just notes for myself, so feel free to ask any questions if something doesn't make sense.
  1. CE24
    1. Black - 1991 serial number, http://forums.prsguitars.com/thread...ut-alex-lifesons-black-ce-24.6404/#post-99569 Read thread for more info.
    3. Red
    4. Red with piezo - 2 outputs so can easily switch between piezo and magnetic using pedal
    5. Green
    7. Sunburst w/Evans & Seymour Duncan Trembucker - same as Time Stand Still guitar, or was that one custom built, routed, etc? Rig Rundown video shows closeup of routing which doesn’t look like a humbucker filled in, but who knows. Maybe this guitar is one of the ones he custom ordered?
    8. Blue in Rush in Rio with gold hardware - same as blue guitar in older videos/photos? - Tuned to F# for Big Money
  2. Singlecut
    2. Orange burst (?) (http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2009/05/20/1846/Alex-Lifeson-guest-appearance-at-Tragically-Hip-show
      )
  3. Other
    1. Sunburst NF3 - Time Stand Still on Baltimore & later dates of Time Machine tour
    2. Hollowbody w/piezo - photo in Snakes & Arrows tour book, Mystic Rhythms - R30
    3. EG http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/guitarist-05.1992.php, photo from R30 tour book, RTB motif
    4. Custom 22/12 String(?) - R40 http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/94141-all-of-alexs-guitars-used-on-r40-tour-spoilers/
    6. Tremonti - first few shows of Snakes & Arrows tour for Between the Wheels (photo?). Possible videos:
      June 13, 2007,
    8. sunburst trem 22 fret

my_prs_zpsxciwlq3c.jpg

Dude, you're my frickin' hero! I think I'm holding CE #4 in post 95 of this thread. Best day, ever!

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...-celebrate-what-was-and-still-is.34467/page-5

You reminded me that I accidentally followed Alex from Signature to PRS. Signature was made not to far from my home, so I visited and really liked the guitar. They just couldn’t hold the business together long enough for me to buy one. When I had enough saved, I went PRS.

1. CE24
    3. Red
    5. Green
  2. Singlecut
      )
  3. Other
      June 13, 2007,
    8. sunburst trem 22 fret

my_prs_zpsxciwlq3c.jpg

I always liked his Signature guitars too but never had the chance to play one. He started the Presto tour with his Signatures, but evidently at some point he broke the head stock on his white one. He then switched to PRS. Here's links to videos/photos/sources. Looks like he started playing PRS live in mid-May 1990.

Presto Tour
5/10? 11?/1990: White Signature
5/13,14,16/1990: Concerts in Quebec & Toronto (no video or photos)
[White Signature head stock broke during this tour in 1990, day before Signature closed]
5/17/1990 - soundcheck - maple neck PRS - sunburst?
5/17/1990: Sunburst all show, sounds like humbuckers
6/2/1990 Sunburst
6/27/1990: Black w/Evans pickups

And now you're my hero. Nice photo.

Is that tortoise shell? It's got a different bridge and an extra switch. I haven't seen him play it. What can you tell me about that guitar?

To be honest, not much. Shawn was cool enough to grab it, and bring it down to the lobby, at the end of my tour of the factory. Alex is my guitar hero, and I was totally geeking out. Really, just trying not to drop it! Tortoise shell would be a good call on the finish. The trem/bridge is piezo, which is what the switch is for. Beyond that, it was a blur. Maybe @Shawn@PRS can add some details?

Reactions: TFC
I only saw Rush once in 1996. It's hard to remember, but I feel like Alex mostly used PRS then? I got my first PRS just a few months before going to the show and I know I was excited. It was only them playing, no opener.
Found this on their website:
Setlist
Set One
“Dreamline”
“The Big Money”/”Wipe Out” (Replaced with “Limelight” for the second leg)
“Stick It Out” (Second leg only)
“Driven”
“Half the World”
“Red Barchetta”
“Animate”
“Limbo”
“The Trees”
“Freewill” (Second leg only)
“Red Sector A”
“Virtuality”
“Nobody’s Hero”
“Closer to the Heart”
“2112”

Set two
“Test for Echo”
“Subdivisions” (Dropped from the second leg)
“Freewill”
“Roll the Bones”
“Resist”
“Leave That Thing Alone”
“The Rhythm Method” (drum solo)
“Natural Science”
“Force Ten”
“Time and Motion” (Moved around the setlist before being dropped on 9 Nov 1996)
“The Spirit of Radio”
“Tom Sawyer”

Pretty awesome they have this available on their site...might have to make a playlist of the set.

Lucky you. I didn't get to see that tour. But yes, he did play mostly PRS on that tour. The only songs he didn't use a PRS on were Resist and the two that are tuned down a full step, 2112 and Test For Echo. Here's a video link and which guitar he used for each song.

10/9/1996 - opening night Test for Echo tour

Set 1
1. 2001 Intro
2. Dreamline [black CE24]
3. The Big Money [blue CE24]
4. Driven [red CE24 w/piezo]
5. Half The World [red CE24 w/piezo]
6. Red Barchetta [black CE24]
7. Animate [black CE24]
8. Limbo [black CE24]
9. The Trees [nylon intro/black CE24]
10. Red Sector A [black CE24]
11. Virtuality [red CE24 w/piezo]
12. Nobody's Hero [red CE24 w/piezo]
13. Closer To The Heart [red CE24 w/piezo]
14. 2112 (complete) [Les Paul down a full step]

Set 2
1. Test For Echo [Les Paul tuned down a full step]
2. Subdivisions [black CE24]
3. Freewill [black CE24]
4. Roll The Bones [black CE24]
5. Resist [?]
6. Leave That Thing Alone [black CE24]
7. The Rhythm Method
8. Natural Science [red CE24 w/piezo]
9. Force Ten [black CE24]
10. Time And Motion [black CE24]
11. The Spirit Of Radio [black CE24]
12. Tom Sawyer [black CE24]
13. YYZ [black CE24]
14. Cygnus X-1 (teaser)

I always liked his Signature guitars too but never had the chance to play one.
I played 3. One was set up poorly, but the other two were excellent. I took the summer of 1990 mostly off and bought a house before going back to work - so no new stuff until I got the mortgage down a bit. By the way, 4&7 was a good age to take time off with the kids.

One show before sound check, Jack said "here Mark take Alex's black PRS in front of the washing machines for some pics." It was the same guitar the OP displayed in the first pic. Got some great shots! Sure wish they would tour again.

Lucky you. I didn't get to see that tour. But yes, he did play mostly PRS on that tour. The only songs he didn't use a PRS on were Resist and the two that are tuned down a full step, 2112 and Test For Echo. Here's a video link and which guitar he used for each song.

10/9/1996 - opening night Test for Echo tour

Set 1
1. 2001 Intro
2. Dreamline [black CE24]
3. The Big Money [blue CE24]
4. Driven [red CE24 w/piezo]
5. Half The World [red CE24 w/piezo]
6. Red Barchetta [black CE24]
7. Animate [black CE24]
8. Limbo [black CE24]
9. The Trees [nylon intro/black CE24]
10. Red Sector A [black CE24]
11. Virtuality [red CE24 w/piezo]
12. Nobody's Hero [red CE24 w/piezo]
13. Closer To The Heart [red CE24 w/piezo]
14. 2112 (complete) [Les Paul down a full step]

Set 2
1. Test For Echo [Les Paul tuned down a full step]
2. Subdivisions [black CE24]
3. Freewill [black CE24]
4. Roll The Bones [black CE24]
5. Resist [?]
6. Leave That Thing Alone [black CE24]
7. The Rhythm Method
8. Natural Science [red CE24 w/piezo]
9. Force Ten [black CE24]
10. Time And Motion [black CE24]
11. The Spirit Of Radio [black CE24]
12. Tom Sawyer [black CE24]
13. YYZ [black CE24]
14. Cygnus X-1 (teaser)
That’s awesome! Thanks for the wealth of knowledge added to this thread!

Reactions: TFC
Back