Rules of tone

Peter Gurton

We've no doubt all seen Paul Reed Smith's rules of tone videos, and very good they are too. But there is a really important rule that he hasn't mentioned, mainly because he can't build it into his guitars. I shall explain:

Many years ago, I had the distinct privilege of seeing Robin Trower up close in a bar in England. Robin was in the audience watching an old school rock n roll band, the guitarist had a CBS Strat and a Marshall Plexi and no pedals (it was that long ago). They got him up to do a number. He took the guitar and played 'Stormy Monday' He didn't touch the amp but the guitar sound was suddenly louder and, well, better.

I haven't had many light bulb moments in my life, but this was one. I realised that the sound starts in your hands, it's not just what you play, but how you play. I have never forgotten that lesson.

Yep, I also came to realize that ultimately after considerable time one develops ones own sound (overall "tone" if you will). Doesn't matter what gear your using either to a great extent. Personally, I found "my" tone after I stopped trying to emulate my heroes (even though I still do that often). Funny though, once I quit worrying about "chasing" the tones of my heroes, I found my own consistent tone.
RonnieD

Actually, Paul says that in one of his recent videos. We sound like who we are.

However, what our hands have to do to get that tone we hear in our heads, is manipulate an instrument, some electronics, etc. And that's where the sound of the gear we're using comes into play.

I sound different with each of my guitars, and amps, yet I still sound like me. There's a truth there, despite the apparent conundrum.

Yes, you're going to sound like you, but the question is, how do you like the way you sound like you?

Picasso's paintings looked like a Picasso no matter what colors he used.

But the color choice still mattered. His choice of brushes still mattered. How the canvases were stretched mattered.

Tone is partly you, and partly how you choose to color it with your gear.

The tone in my head:

beautiful-sunset-2.jpg

The tone in my hands:

6120392-Big-pile-of-bricks-isolated-Stock-Photo-brick.jpg

I sound different with each of my guitars, and amps, yet I still sound like me. There's a truth there, despite the apparent conundrum.

It's not quite the same, but mics reproduce your voice (or the output of your amp) in different ways, so while you should still sound like you/your rig it's going to be a little or a lot different through different mics.

I agree that much of the tone is from my approach to playing. I choose amps and settings that don't try to hide that.
I'm with ya on that one! For years now I've employed an 18 watt Marshall with a tone knob and volume knob, that's it, save for an EP Booster. Other than that, doesn't matter if it's a single coil or humbucker equipped guitar. I certainly don't expect that tone recipe though to be for everyone, different strokes for different folks for sure.

If somebody mentions they can't quite get that tone or sound I ususally suggest they turn the pup volume down 10 or 20% and try that. It helps in a lot of cases.

I wonder if you micro analysed a popular professional while he was playing then did the same with a regular,never get anywhere guitarist what you would find. I bet there's something to do with rhythm and natural timing on a level no one can see that makes all the difference.

I wonder if you micro analysed a popular professional while he was playing then did the same with a regular,never get anywhere guitarist what you would find. I bet there's something to do with rhythm and natural timing on a level no one can see that makes all the difference.

Ability and technique is sooooo far down at the bottom of the list in terms of popularity and commercial success.

I know I usually seek a sound to match the song I'm working on. My music is a result of self-therapy for my mental health in relation to my work. I was in a very dark point in my life when I started writing, and thus my songs sounds vary in degrees of comparison of genre. So, when I write, I'm not writing in a specific style. I try and match amp sounds to where they fit.

I remember one particular song that I couldn't quite get a tone for and I decided it needed a dirty, KoRn-esque sound. Not to copy what they do, but to start close and tweak it like I wanted. Oh. My. God. Never ask people about amp settings to start at. I asked it and no less than five people began to lecture me on "finding my own tone." Later, I found a picture from a rig rundown and plugged it in to mine and tweaked. Voila.

We've no doubt all seen Paul Reed Smith's rules of tone videos, and very good they are too. But there is a really important rule that he hasn't mentioned, mainly because he can't build it into his guitars. I shall explain:

Many years ago, I had the distinct privilege of seeing Robin Trower up close in a bar in England. Robin was in the audience watching an old school rock n roll band, the guitarist had a CBS Strat and a Marshall Plexi and no pedals (it was that long ago). They got him up to do a number. He took the guitar and played 'Stormy Monday' He didn't touch the amp but the guitar sound was suddenly louder and, well, better.

I haven't had many light bulb moments in my life, but this was one. I realised that the sound starts in your hands, it's not just what you play, but how you play. I have never forgotten that lesson.

I remember reading that the lead player for the band "Free" said he wasn't going do any effects if he couldn't do it with his hands. He was going to try and emulate a Phase Shifter.

Last edited:
You can get a pretty good - but limited - emulation of a phase shifter by hammering a chord in the open position (A Major is good) on & off as fast as you can and running the edge of your hand lightly up the strings. It's a tricky technique to get right but very effective when done well.

Back