Rules of Engagement on XPRS Sales Floor

38Roars

Bless the Blues
Curious if there is an acknowledged rule by dealers (or is it just common courtesy) not to engage with customers who are in another (competitor) booth while shopping on the sales floor.

Would having a competitor dealer walk into your both, whisper something into a buyers ear who had a guitar in hand engaged in discussions and them walk away to his booth piss you off?

As a buyer, do you have a problem with that?

I'm having a hard time imagining this happening.... The dealers who booth at the Experience do so right under the watchful eye of the area reps, the staff and PRSh. It would be hard to think of a quicker way to piss off all of the above and face possibly losing being a PRS vendor, not just a coveted place on the floor of the factory at THE PRS event of the year...

I'd be pissed if I were a dealer, SLIGHTLY less as a customer. Not sure I'd buy from said dealer just on principle. But not knowing the full story, I'm not about to judge. Say the buyer was speaking with the intruding dealer earlier...was quoted price. Then intruding dealer decided they could do better on initial price? Still not too cool, but...

Whatever the circumstance it's not the right way to conduct business

I find this all VERY distasteful.

I also very much dislike the jerk who brought a chair from the rear of the tent and added himself to the second row middle isle on Friday night and then to the first row middle isle on Saturday night as people were first let into the main stage tent each night. He almost closed off the middle isle for ingress and egress...

On top of that, some cretin has Hans's wallet.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;23222 said:
It showed up in the mail today. All cash gone.

No return address. No note.

I don't know how I would feel about that if the same thing happened to me, mixed at the very least.

Last edited:

Great news ... But by now you've already probably cancelled and are getting new IDs and credit cards, etc.

I personally witnessed this happen... and it wasn't a whisper in a potential buyers ear it was front and center...I'll leave names of the shops out of this....

Without knowing the particulars I can only speculate that, based on some of the experiences I have had with various authorized dealers, some (well, at least one) who've been around for a long time seem to believe that they have an invulnerable relationship with Paul that transcends the common rules of etiquette....just my experience with some that I'd prefer not to ever deal with again in the future.

There's always room for honesty and integrity EVERYWHERE. It's just not a given character in the sales world. Someone chose...poorly.

And Hans, I'm glad your wallet showed up, regardless of condition. But in retrospect, everyone I met epitomized the opposite...kind, respectful, good-natured. There is some hope.

Last edited:
If this is the deal that I was a part of, that is not how it went down. The one I had a part in was on the sales floor, not at a dealer booth. As far as I know, those guitars are open to any dealer to sell. I made a phone call to see if I could help out a friend and fellow forum brother. He couldn't afford the price he was quoted from a dealer. He really loved the guitar & I tried to help out.
I'll be glad to talk to anyone offline about details. I do not want to do any mud slinginig' here online. The deal I "witnessed/took part in" (as did quite a few other forum brothers) was just a friend trying help out a guy who was in love with a guitar. It all worked out in the end. The guy is getting his choice of 2 brand new guitars. He would've loved to have flown home with that guitar, but he now gets to cherry-pick the best one. A PRS Regional Rep was involved in this so I know there were no PRS rules broken. If I did something wrong, then let me know. I was just trying to help a dude out.
And just to be clear, I am not a dealer & am not employed by any dealers. I'm just a guitar junkie enabler.

Wow, the finder was only a half dirt bag. If you happen to be reading this, please send Hans a check so that you can become a whole human being again.

Wow, the finder was only a half dirt bag. If you happen to be reading this, please send Hans a check so that you can become a whole human being again.

I am pretty certain that by the time it was found, it was already emptied. The scum bag who took the stuff in it would not have had the integrity to send it back. The person who found the empty and sent it back deserves kudos.

Hey Chris, I am hearing about 4 different stories that match the OP's description. All of them involve different dealers and different buyers. It seems in all the hustle and bustle, there were several people who got their feathers ruffled.

NONE of the heartburn (that I heard about) had anything to do with you or your deal. Rest assured, brother, there is no mud on your shoes. You're a good guy and we all know it.

With the other stories, there is a lot of 2nd hand info so it's hard to know what really happened. Things aren't always what they seem. In one situation, a well known, long-standing, loved, and honest dealer was working a deal with a customer he had been selling to for over 15 years (the second deal with him of the day). The dealer was working up a number and the customer said something like "let me know, I'm going to walk around". The dealer walked over, delivered the price, and it created a misconception. Nothing rude or nefarious was intended. But we can all agree that it creates a plausable reason to raise an eyebrow. No doubt we all learn from things like this. Even the dealer. This is a relatively new thing. Those guys will find a rhythm. Be patient.

If there is a witch that requires burning, time will reveal all. In this case, I think we should chill out and pay closer attention to our etiquette next year. No doubt the dealers will.

If this is the deal that I was a part of, that is not how it went down. The one I had a part in was on the sales floor, not at a dealer booth. As far as I know, those guitars are open to any dealer to sell. I made a phone call to see if I could help out a friend and fellow forum brother. He couldn't afford the price he was quoted from a dealer. He really loved the guitar & I tried to help out.
I'll be glad to talk to anyone offline about details. I do not want to do any mud slinginig' here online. The deal I "witnessed/took part in" (as did quite a few other forum brothers) was just a friend trying help out a guy who was in love with a guitar. It all worked out in the end. The guy is getting his choice of 2 brand new guitars. He would've loved to have flown home with that guitar, but he now gets to cherry-pick the best one. A PRS Regional Rep was involved in this so I know there were no PRS rules broken. If I did something wrong, then let me know. I was just trying to help a dude out.
And just to be clear, I am not a dealer & am not employed by any dealers. I'm just a guitar junkie enabler.

Last edited:
Back