Rotary Style switching with PRS blade switch?

jamesC2224

This is for all you wiring experts. I think I’ve seen this mod mentioned but I cannot find a related thread. Here’s the deal. I recently picked up a CU22 with rotary switching and I love the in between positions. That got me wondering if I can have similar combos out of my CU24 with a five way blade. I know I could get the Schaller P switch (I would lose both humbuckers together l) but I would like to use a PRS switch if possible.

Ideally I would like to have:
1 treble humbucker
2 inner coils treble and bass
3 treble and bass humbuckers
4 outer coils treble and bass
5 bass humbucker

Is it possible to mod a PRS 5 way blade switch to get the outer coils of both pickups?

It should be possible. I have a P22 trem that has a 5 way blade on it and the positions sound very much like the 5 way rotary does on my CU24. I have a suhr with two humbuckers in it that also has a 5 way blade that gives some very nice sounds on the switch positions like my P22 does. Figuring the wiring out may not be super easy, but I think it can be done. If they have a wiring diagram for my P22 that may show you how they did it.

EDIT: This may help a little. It is for the CU24 piezo.

@JasonE Thanks for the reply. I found this thread and I think the switching you have is the same as my current CU22

BLADE POSITIONS

• Position 1: (down) Bridge Humbucker
  • Position 2: Bridge Humbucker with Neck Singlecoil
  • Position 3: Bridge and Neck Humbuckers
  • Position 4: Neck Singlecoil with Bridge Singlecoil
  • Position 5: (up) Neck Humbucker

I’m wanting a different option in position 2. Please see below

IDEAL BLADE POSITIONS

• Position 1: (down) Bridge Humbucker
  • Position 2: Neck Singlecoil with Bridge Singlecoil (outer coils)
  • Position 3: Bridge and Neck Humbuckers
  • Position 4: Neck Singlecoil with Bridge Singlecoil (inner coils)
  • Position 5: (up) Neck Humbucker

Gotcha. I am betting it can be done since the individual coils can be turned on and off now. It will probably take someone much more knowledgeable with the wiring than me to guide you in how to hook everything up. I would have to work my way through it by testing things to see how it worked. Hopefully one of those folks will stop by soon.

Back