Rosewood or Maple Neck?

LJD

Checking out the current PRS Artist package options, trying to decide on a rosewood or flamed maple neck. I've played many maple necks, and I've heard mixed problems about solid maple (dead spots, warping, etc) and that two piece (reversed grain) or reinforced multi piece maple necks improve sustain and stability. I've seen many pics of (solid-looking) PRS flamed maple necks and they look amazing. I played a Quatro with a rosewood neck and really liked it. The RW is unfinished (or barely) and I usually don't like that, but the wood is so dense and smooth that I didn't mind. Sounded nice and woody.
Your thoughts on either wood? Tone/sound characteristics? Would a maple neck sound much different? Is solid maple risky? Is it brighter than RW or the stock Mahogany? (consider each type with an ebony fretboard).
Thanks!

Typically:

Rosewood = warm/dark
Maple = bright/snappy
Mahogany = somewhere in between

PRS RW is always unfinished and as you know, feels amazing. The new V12 finish is very slippery, I don't have any issues with sticky neck, but do get a bit of resistance on my nitro finished maple neck.

Not sure if the artist package maples come with a satin finish, or the finish that is sunken into the wood?

What sort of guitar/pickups are you choosing, what sort of music do you play and what kind of tone/s are you looking for?

Related slight thread drift. Also thinking about an AP SC58 with IRW neck and ebony board. If IRW is warmer and ebony is brighter, what in the expected net tone result of pairing the two woods?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to get a Hollowbody II with an ebony fretboard, rosewood neck. I think the ebony will balance the tone from being too dark, should be a great combo (dream guitar!). I'm planning on the 57/08 pups. That was going to be my next question (about the pickups). I've read that 59/09's are hotter and the 53/10's are more of a warm vintage tone (?). I really liked the 57/08's on the HBII I played in the store. I'm not looking for a dirty sound, so I wouldn't go with higher gain output pickups. You guys know the other PRS pickups? Thoughts? As for the sound I'm going for, more of a classic rock or jazzy tone. Hollow, woody, warm, clear, sustain-y, resonant tone. Clean, full. Played thru a 6L6 type tube amp, I use modded OD pedals for nice clear overdrive w/headroom, nothing muddy, fuzzy, or squashed. I like Trey Anastasio's tone for a jump off: very natural, lot's of overtones and feedback sustain, but I'm going for my own thing.

Ok I am new to the forum but like everyone here I have an opinion. I recently discovered a new great place to buy PRS guitars in Charlotte N>C> for the longest we have been suffering with the two big box store sam ash and guitar center at best would have maybe a few PRS guitars but nothing new and cool models . Music 49 to my delight had light the new signature series they had a least one of every color and the hollow body II that no one else in the north or south carolina had they had two in stock. I am talking wow guitars with all the cool tops special runs DGT 's galore etc. etc. I am hot for a new P22 and they had 5-6 when i was there. One of them had been ordered as a non ten top with a rosewood neck unfinished. and playing all the guitars it had so much more life in it. You could strum a g chord and the whole neck would tingle in your hand. so my thing is that translates into electric vibe and overtones as well. it was a defining moment that I will have to have rosewood neck on my next PRS. Chad Harris is the go to guy at Music 49 he is a guitar guy and loves some PRS. Chad was telling me that rosewood is back ordered for 3 months due to the rise of the P22 with the rosewood combination. I currently have a killer guilt top hollow body II 25th anniversary one off that has the 59 09 pick ups and black pick up rings etc and sent it back and had a coil top installed for some single coil action. I will have to let it go thought when I get the P22 it deserves better than sitting on and stand or under a case. the guitars was made to play.
so after all that ROSEWOOD if my choice

LJD said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to get a Hollowbody II with an ebony fretboard, rosewood neck. I think the ebony will balance the tone from being too dark, should be a great combo (dream guitar!). I'm planning on the 57/08 pups. That was going to be my next question (about the pickups). I've read that 59/09's are hotter and the 53/10's are more of a warm vintage tone (?). I really liked the 57/08's on the HBII I played in the store. I'm not looking for a dirty sound, so I wouldn't go with higher gain output pickups. You guys know the other PRS pickups? Thoughts? As for the sound I'm going for, more of a classic rock or jazzy tone. Hollow, woody, warm, clear, sustain-y, resonant tone. Clean, full. Played thru a 6L6 type tube amp, I use modded OD pedals for nice clear overdrive w/headroom, nothing muddy, fuzzy, or squashed. I like Trey Anastasio's tone for a jump off: very natural, lot's of overtones and feedback sustain, but I'm going for my own thing.

I may get beat up here - but I would recommend the archtop pickups for your tastes.....

Rosewood is a great neck choice, but I don't have any problem with my maple necks. They are quite different from the rosewood, but I do not find them lacking in any way.

And ebony is my favourite fingerboard to play.

My vote is for Rosewood, preferably Brazilian. I only have two PRS guitars and both of them have Brazilian necks. I'm not against mahogany or maple necks, but when I pick up a Brazilian-necked guitar, it won't let me put it down. Good choice on going with a HBII. I've heard nothing but good reviews on those.

LJD said:
I've played many maple necks, and I've heard mixed problems about solid maple (dead spots, warping, etc) and that two piece (reversed grain) or reinforced multi piece maple necks improve sustain and stability. I've seen many pics of (solid-looking) PRS flamed maple necks and they look amazing.

PRS does an amazing job drying their wood, and making sure its maple neck blanks are chosen and sawn right so they don't twist or warp. I've been hanging out of PRS forums of various kinds since 2000, and you never see threads where people complain about the maple necks on a PRS.

On a personal note, I've had 3 PRSes with maple necks, and nary a dead spot, no warping or twisting, etc. My maple necked PRSes sounded very, very solid with plenty of sustain, and I know I'm not alone in this thought, as PRS maple neck models have been highly regarded from day one. The models I've had are SAS, and 2 CU22 Soapbars.

I've also had several of PRS' Rosewood neck models, and they've been wonderful, too.

For the last few years, I've concentrated on the classic mahogany neck guitars, because I like that tone, it goes well with a classic humbucker pickup like the 57/08, but I do think the other necks are very cool indeed.

I particularly like the maple necks with something like a P-90 or other single coil.

i absolutely love the rosewood neck - 59/09s combination.
the neck got the "extreme awesomeness" treatment offered by the PTC - done by myself! :twisted:
it matches exactly my taste and haptic preferences.
optical even better through special oil treatment.

I like the idea of maple necks... purley for the rareness factor on a prs. With the V12 finish they do feel heavenly!!!

Hard to beat flame maple neck..

Ok I am new to the forum but like everyone here I have an opinion. I recently discovered a new great place to buy PRS guitars in Charlotte N>C> for the longest we have been suffering with the two big box store sam ash and guitar center at best would have maybe a few PRS guitars but nothing new and cool models . Music 49 to my delight had light the new signature series they had a least one of every color and the hollow body II that no one else in the north or south carolina had they had two in stock. I am talking wow guitars with all the cool tops special runs DGT 's galore etc. etc. I am hot for a new P22 and they had 5-6 when i was there. One of them had been ordered as a non ten top with a rosewood neck unfinished. and playing all the guitars it had so much more life in it. You could strum a g chord and the whole neck would tingle in your hand. so my thing is that translates into electric vibe and overtones as well. it was a defining moment that I will have to have rosewood neck on my next PRS. Chad Harris is the go to guy at Music 49 he is a guitar guy and loves some PRS. Chad was telling me that rosewood is back ordered for 3 months due to the rise of the P22 with the rosewood combination. I currently have a killer guilt top hollow body II 25th anniversary one off that has the 59 09 pick ups and black pick up rings etc and sent it back and had a coil top installed for some single coil action. I will have to let it go thought when I get the P22 it deserves better than sitting on and stand or under a case. the guitars was made to play.
so after all that ROSEWOOD if my choice

This post really struck home with me mate =) I have a P22 with RW neck on order, just fell in love with the tone and feel at Messe.
Mine is set for end of July as prelim.date, hope it wont' take much longer than date (in light of Chad's words above).

I have to admit to being somewhat biased on this one most of my PRSi have rosewood necks (10 out of 14 and 7 of those are BRW) I love the feel , piano like tone (especially on the BRW necks) and sustain.
The only maple necked PRS I have is my 305 its a great guitar and as close to a strat as I am likely to get (I have tried lots and just can't bond with them, annoyingly when ever some one has come to try one I have sold they sound great just not when I play them) and that might be the key you need to play them both and find what is right for you, for me its rosewood (almost) every time ;-)

With a HB II, the only problem with rosewood is that you might have a neck-heavy guitar. I like RW with a solid body, however, and have had several. And maybe that's not as much of a problem as I would guess.

After having PRSes with all the neck options, I find I like mahogany necks the best after all. But I do love an ebony fretboard.

Maybe you might want to consider a PS P22 with a chambered body (with or without F hole). Mine has a RW neck and ebony fretboard. PRS have made a few.

I have an SAS with a solid maple neck. My opinion is that a maple neck with a piezo would be VERY bright ... jmho.

There is probably a reason PRS uses 5310s in the P22. 5708s would be a little brighter. When you use the piezo alone, it doesn't matter what pups you use. When you blend the piezo and magnetic pups you need to conssider how hot the pups are and the type of sound you are looking for. You also need to consider whether you are going to use one or two amps.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to get a Hollowbody II with an ebony fretboard, rosewood neck. QUOTE]

Great choice! For the tones your looking for, I'd stick with the 57/08 pickups. I have them on my 22 semi-hollow ltd and they can cover jazz and rock equally well. I'd avoid the higher gain pickups for jazz, but still stick with the 57/08 since they'd meet your needs very well.

I like Trey Anastasio's tone for a jump off: very natural, lot's of overtones and feedback sustain, but I'm going for my own thing.

sounds like you need a Private Stock Koa Hollowbody II with maple neck, ebony board and 59/09's. DOOOO ITTTT

Back