Rosewood Neck keeps needing adjustment

Charlie

hi all. I currently own 2 PRS Core guitars. A 2018 Custom 24-08 Artist with a rosewood neck and Brazilian rosewood fretboard and a 2017 Custom 22 10 Top with a rosewood neck and ebony fretboard. My question is, I've never had to adjust the 24-08 neck, but almost every 4-8 weeks I need to adjust the 22's neck. Both guitars sit side by side 6" inches apart in the same room, what's happening to the 22 neck - any ideas why it needs constant adjustment? Could it be a defect in the neck wood? Thanks.

This is a tough question to answer..because you have the rule out the "mood of the week" syndrome. I know sometimes even with the same setup my guitar will just feel different certain days even when it's set where I want it. I think you might've moved past this though.

BUT... From a mechanical standpoint, I wonder if it's a truss rod issue. If you bought the guitar new I wouldn't touch it anymore just take it to the dealer, you might have them take a look since it could be a warranty issue. If you got it used, maybe you could fill us in exactly how you are adjusting it to get it where you want, that way we get a better picture of what's going on to help you. This post feels like it should be in the PTC section since some very qualified people reply there at times, rather than the guitar hack that I am.

This is a tough question to answer..because you have the rule out the "mood of the week" syndrome. I know sometimes even with the same setup my guitar will just feel different certain days even when it's set where I want it. I think you might've moved past this though.

BUT... From a mechanical standpoint, I wonder if it's a truss rod issue. If you bought the guitar new I wouldn't touch it anymore just take it to the dealer, you might have them take a look since it could be a warranty issue. If you got it used, maybe you could fill us in exactly how you are adjusting it to get it where you want, that way we get a better picture of what's going on to help you. This post feels like it should be in the PTC section since some very qualified people reply there at times, rather than the guitar hack that I am.

It’s visually bowed. I pick it up and can immediately feel the strings are further from the fretboard. When I look down the neck I can see that it’s bowed forward. I adjust it with the truss rod tools. Sometimes it’s bowed in the other direction. I purchased it new from Moore Music online. They’re about 1,000 miles from me. I’m on Long Island. How do I determine if it’s a warranty issue? I’ve had 14 PRS Cores, never has this happened to any of them.

Wow..I'd contact Moore music to see if they can get PRS PTC involved on this one...maybe they can help you through a PRS dealer that is more local to you as well...but i'd want the PTC route. Since you bought it new...that's a big relief. I'm sure PRS will help you somehow, I think your best bet is to send them an email. You can contact PTC directly as well but I think if the dealer is involved things might go smoother especially with the work load environment PRS is in right now.

I am sure PRS can and will get you sorted,
That said normally when a guitar " moves " like that you ( or anyone ) are over adjusting. PRS double acting truss rods need VERY small adjustments to get BIG results.
I will often spend a few days sneaking up on the proper set up, I also like to hang the guitars to let them settle in.
How you have it playing how you like it soon !!!

Yeah, I agree with all that's been said. I would try Rider1260s advice first. If it is still a problem, I'd reach out to Moore. They should be able to set you up with an RA# so you can send it directly to PRS to look at.

Back