Room Warble... ????

squirrel211

I am playing a show with my keyboard player's wife (her original material) on Friday night. I was going to be at my in-laws all weekend this past weekend, so I took my rig with me, and set it up in their pool house. Tile floors, 2 story living room with glass walls all the way up....

The sound warbled like crazy! Not just my amp, but the music coming out of the PA speaker too.

Anyone else ever encountered this?

Post some sound clips! Please.

I mean, if it's like a vibey warble, that'd be one thing, but if it doesn't have any sense of rhythm, I could see that not being musically useful...

Poolhouse....warble... hmmm.... were their any margaritas involved? :D

ah, glad you're here. I was going to post "Paging Sergio" I figured warble was right up your alley. OP, you're in good hands now. This man can warble where few others can.
Well, he and Ozzie.... "I am Iron Maaaaaan"

I like the ceiling fan theory. Option 2: resonant frequency of the room? Especially with bass guitar, we've hit the resonant frequency of a room and gotten serious sympathetic vibrations from all sorts of stuff. You could have gotten the glass to freak out!

It's nice to have a pool house.

But not necessarily nice to play in a pool house.

It's nice to have a pool house.

But not necessarily nice to play in a pool house.
This is from when we used to practice in a pool house. :eek:
boogierigpoolhouse.jpg

My guess would be that it's the way glass reflects (and potentially distorts) sound. I haven't played a guitar amp against a huge wall of glass, but I've seen plenty of windows shaking from ahhh...someone playing loud music. >_>

I think the reflections coming off of a window are at least somewhat distorted, and from a wall of glass I'd expect to really hear it. I can't think of a way to fix that without covering it with a solid wall or coming up with some kind of device that changes the way the windows vibrate, and as far as I know no one's designed that yet. ;)

I'm guessing ceiling fan. We practice at my bandmates' house about 50% of the time, and typically the ceiling fan is going. If you stand opposite someone playing on the other side of the fan, you get a great modulation effect, part tremolo part vibrato.

I get the same thing when I turn on the fans in my music room if I stand in the wrong spot. I once spent an hour or maybe more trying to figure out why my strings sounded so horrible, but not the strings, maybe my pedal board power supply, no, maybe I left a modulation pedal on, no, maybe...

Now when I hear that warble I immediately look for fans. Lots of them here in Florida, oddly enough.

Back