Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2016 Inductees

Why is it okay to call The Spinners the tops, but not okay to call the Four Tops spinners? :dontknow:

I dunno.

I used to go to the Motown Reviews at Detroit's Fox Theater back in the 60s when I was a lad.

The band - yes, the famous Funk Brothers - used to back up the acts for the shows. OK, I don't care if you think you know rock and all that or not. But I'll say this - a bunch of lily-white guys with tattoos looking at their shoes while playing did NOT invent rock and roll.

The Funk Brothers rocked the house down. And in these shows, the Tops, the Marvelettes, Martha and the Vandellas, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, and the Supremes would all showcase. These live shows were the absolute S#@$T! The whole house would be rocking and dancing.

The 4 Tops were badass dudes, and they were very, very good vocalists who could rock the best of them. These were guys who came up through the streets of a tough city, even then. They were not sissies you make fun of.

four-tops-G1P4_o_tn.jpg

You want bass? Try James Jamerson, the guy Paul McCartney copied in the early days. You don't like horns? They were a freakin' WALL of sound that later bands substituted with guitars, but believe me, it was happening big time, and as good as the records sounded, live it was KILLER.

It was impossible to sit in your seat while seeing these shows. This was the stuff that the early Beatles and Rolling Stones copied and covered. It was awesome. It was very, very rock and roll.

Martha and the Vandellas rocking "Dancing in the Streets" Live with the full band? Too good to think about. "Heat Wave?" You betcha.

You missed it. I didn't. ;)
Motortown-Revue-at-the-Detroit-Fox-in-1966.jpg

Last edited:
So, you're saying that Yes was ( ahem ) "close to the edge"? Perhaps they couldn't be seen as they stood in the "heart of the sunrise". What the heck, we could go "roundabout" with this all day. Right?
Um.....OK...I guess I'm done. ;)

So, you're saying that Yes was ( ahem ) "close to the edge"? Perhaps they couldn't be seen as they stood in the "heart of the sunrise". What the heck, we could go "roundabout" with this all day. Right?
Um.....OK...I guess I'm done. ;)

This post is BS bro, ignorant and stupid.

Last edited:
Hey guys, let's argue about my Motown post instead.

I'd love to, but I can't bring myself to argue with a guy that recently had heart surgery! Besides, I'm rather envious. In my teens and twenties I would have been all over anything I could toss the horns at \m/ Thirty years later I find that it's not all about the horns anymore. Now I really just enjoy good music. That being great tone, or a well written song, or just pure talent. Today I would love to see all of those great Motown groups.

Hey guys, let's argue about my Motown post instead.

I couldn't convince my parents to take me to those shows. They wouldn't have driven to Detroit, and I couldn't find the words to convince them. Mainly because I was pre-verbal then.

I'm going to see as many bands that I like as I can. Like my buddy says, who knows a) how long they'll be able to do it; and b) how long we'll be able to do it. I've driven 2.5 hours to a show on a work night. Just because. I'm finding myself more and more to be one of the more youth-challenged people at some of the shows I go to. When we went to see Trivium and Tremonti in Cleveland, we were talking to a couple that was about 20 years younger than us. Their drive back to Columbus was about as long as ours, but they were staying in Cleveland because "it was too far to drive back after". Not us - we were driving back to Pittsburgh that night. And this was the night after I'd gone to see Ghost here.

Like my father-in-law said - I have to get older. I don't have to grow up. Or grow old.

Like my father-in-law said - I have to get older. I don't have to grow up. Or grow old.

You're talking to a man who was literally jumping up and down watching his son's band play a classic Detroit venue that was packed. It was only when I looked in the mirror after the show that I remembered that I'm the Oldest Human Being On The Planet.

I'm not a grown-up. I quit my day job to make music 25 years ago.

But, you know...I'm old as all f%^K. It's hard to avoid the getting older part, unless you want to get dead.

Last edited:
Back