Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2016 Inductees

It's great!

But I still can't figure out why there isn't a section in the Rock Hall of Fame for commercial composers....

Hahahaha! AS IF!!

Happy for both Deep Purple AND Cheap Trick. Both deserve to be in!

That said, I'm disappointed that my fav band YES again falls short. Interestingly when I view the results on RRHOF voting it appears as though YES beat Deep Purple and NWA in voting. Haven't dug further but wonder why they didn't get in also. I only marginally give a crap due to my overall low opinion of the RRHOF as a leading authority of the greatness of musical talent.

Regardless...grats to DP and CT!

Am I the only one that isn't a Deep Purple fan? I hate to not like British rock bands but rock + keyboards don't do it for me.

LOL...maybe!

FWIW Here are the final voting results...Based on what I see the inductees should be CHICAGO, YES, THE CARS
Which begs the question are vote totals just a "Guideline" for the judges to select whoever the hell they want?
I mean honestly NWA came in a .42% of the total votes and they get in anyway? um...OK

Chicago 23.41% (37666987 votes)
Yes 16.20% (26062494 votes)
The Cars 16.14% (25973035 votes)
Deep Purple 15.87% (25540431 votes)
Steve Miller 15.85% (25507102 votes)
Janet Jackson 5.88% (9461890 votes)
Cheap Trick 1.45% (2336606 votes)
The Spinners 1.28% (2066745 votes)
Chaka Khan 1.16% (1858917 votes)
Chic 0.84% (1348330 votes)
The J.B.'s 0.59% (949883 votes)
N.W.A 0.42% (673866 votes)
Nine Inch Nails 0.35% (564008 votes)
The Smiths 0.30% (490088 votes)
Los Lobos 0.25% (404768 votes)
- See more at: http://rockhall.com/voting/2016-roc...e-nominees-vote/results/#sthash.ZBU8AILC.dpuf

OK...here I'll answer my own question....

Long story short the international voting body selects who the hell they want. My feelings on the RRHOF remain unchanged.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation's nominating committee selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 600 artists, historians and members of the music industry. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

Beginning in 2012, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame opened Nominee voting to fans around the world. The Top Five Nominees as voted by the fans count for one ballot entry, which is weighted the same as individual ballot entries submitted by members of the international voting body.

Looking at the list you posted are you sure it's not the pop hall of fame?

Which Spinners is that that they mention?
Janet Jackson?
Chaka Khan?
Los Lobos?

The hall of fame is a joke based on BS like this voting and who does or does not get in. I am sure it is cool for a band who finally gets in to get some well deserved credit but it is criminal who gets in ahead of others.

I just can't see how half of those mentioned are even remotely regarded as rock.

I almost wet myself when I saw Los Lobos!

Somewhere in the annals of the RRHOF (I assume in the basement janitors closet next to the bathroom) there's an autographed guitar sporting the name of Sergio de Blanc. I think it was an Epiphone (no lie). :rofl:

That should give you an idea of how ridiculously out-of-touch with reality that organization is.

Last edited:
LOL...maybe!

FWIW Here are the final voting results...Based on what I see the inductees should be CHICAGO, YES, THE CARS
Which begs the question are vote totals just a "Guideline" for the judges to select whoever the hell they want?
I mean honestly NWA came in a .42% of the total votes and they get in anyway? um...OK

Chicago 23.41% (37666987 votes)
Yes 16.20% (26062494 votes)
The Cars 16.14% (25973035 votes)
Deep Purple 15.87% (25540431 votes)
Steve Miller 15.85% (25507102 votes)
Janet Jackson 5.88% (9461890 votes)
Cheap Trick 1.45% (2336606 votes)
The Spinners 1.28% (2066745 votes)
Chaka Khan 1.16% (1858917 votes)
Chic 0.84% (1348330 votes)
The J.B.'s 0.59% (949883 votes)
N.W.A 0.42% (673866 votes)
Nine Inch Nails 0.35% (564008 votes)
The Smiths 0.30% (490088 votes)
Los Lobos 0.25% (404768 votes)
- See more at: http://rockhall.com/voting/2016-roc...e-nominees-vote/results/#sthash.ZBU8AILC.dpuf

That's the fan voting. That's accumulated and counts as 1 vote vs. the other 800 votes.

Personally, I can't believe the Cars and Yes didn't get in. I'm not a huge Yes fan, but their influence is undeniable.

Somewhere in the annals of the RRHOF (I assume in the basement janitors closet next to the bathroom) there's an autographed guitar sporting the name of Sergio de Blanc. I think it was an Epiphone (no lie). :rofl:

That should give you an idea of how ridiculously out-of-touch with reality that organization is.

This is a story I need to hear!!!

I usually stay out of this quagmire, but I will repeat what I always do on this subject:

FOGHAT
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD

Hearing people get upset about the RRHOF announcements every year makes me giggle. Everybody realizes that it's a privately owned business and not some sort of federal cultural institution like the NEA, right? Their picks are as relevant as which musical artists Starbucks chooses to include in their marketing programs.

This is a story I need to hear!!!

Short version: I played there, they had never heard of me but assumed that since I was autographing other guitars they'd hedge their bets and get one too. :rolleyes:

Short version: I played there, they had never heard of me but assumed that since I was autographing other guitars they'd hedge their bets and get one too. :rolleyes:

I love it!

Reminds me of the stories my old guitar teacher used to tell me about how he got more tips. They played a lot of country club gigs and stuff like that, so before they started, he'd pull out a notepad, write several songs down, then put $50 or $75 on top of it and put it on a chair or amp next to him. Somebody would come up to request something, and he'd say, "Well, certainly, we can play that. It might not be until the next set, though - let me check my list..." and he'd mutter a couple names, and usually the guy would perk up at one of the names, see the money, and pull out $40 or $50 to get his song played sooner.

Wohooo, go Serg!!
They (Rock HOF and Rolling Stone mag) are a crack pot full of idiots...just check out Jann Wenner's reply to Rush's induction...musical talent not necessary for induction!!! But love DP and Yes should already be there.

Looking at the list you posted are you sure it's not the pop hall of fame?

Which Spinners is that that they mention?

Only gonna say this once: one of my best friends was in The Spinners.

Do not disparage The Spinners.

Back