Robben Ford Signature Release Date?

Gotta say the new McCarty and the vintage Riviera sound the best. That tele is nails on a chalk board, imho.
I went to one of Robben’s shows this summer, and live the Tele was warmer sounding than the new McCarty. He played one set with each guitar. But I think it was probably because his amps were dialed in for the lower output tele pickups. Dunno.

It’s going to be tough convincing people that it’s THAT MUCH better than a used Cu22 or a McCarty.
I’m definitely interested in hearing how it could be.
Well, it Sounds very much like my dearly beloved 2000 McCarty……but I guess Robben deserves all that is coming to him…..

Well, it Sounds very much like my dearly beloved 2000 McCarty……but I guess Robben deserves all that is coming to him…..
... but it's very hard to make assumptions like that with all the factors involved... online demo through who knows what level of playback system, amps that aren't like the ones we have, etc., etc., I think you can hear the core tones in demos like this, but some details are totally not applicable due to the other factors.

Tag puts up phone clips all the time at TGP of his Louis Electric Cobra, and his Quinn's, that sound fantastic even though they are not pro recordings. You can hear enough to know that the tone is fantastic. But he's always using the same cab, etc. These online demos are a good baseline of tone, but there are too many variables after that for a detailed analysis.

Well, as I said in my previous post, I was going to order one....and I am happy to say that I have one coming! This seems like a really well thought out McCarty derivation (just as the DGT is) so I have a very good feeling it is going to be killer!
Congratulations! Were you given any sense of the delivery time?

Congratulations! Were you given any sense of the delivery time?
Thank you! Congrats to you as well; I am guessing there won't be too many of these up in Canada!

As for delivery time, I was not given a definitive answer. The dealer told me the brunt of the orders should start arriving mid November or so, which tells me PRS made the run of 200 already. He has to confirm that though.

Has anyone taken delivery or picked up an RF model? Haven't heard anything on the forum yet.

Mine came in to the dealer yesterday. The bad news is, I won't be able to pick it up and play it until Christmas when I go home to visit family (I live/work in BC....guitar ordered to AB).

Has anyone taken delivery or picked up an RF model? Haven't heard anything on the forum yet.

Mine came in to the dealer yesterday. The bad news is, I won't be able to pick it up and play it until Christmas when I go home to visit family (I live/work in BC....guitar ordered to AB).
I've got mine! :) Picked it up at L&M Vancouver on the 15th. I love it...BUT...it's definitely unique to my ears. Very bright and snappy. The high E string has a real "snap" to it. So much so that I was a little nervous for the first 5 minutes as I like to do the "rolled off" dark jazz type sound as one of my must have tones. The tone knob is my friend...and I absolutely love this guitar. I was shocked at how light it is...and the resonance and sustain in a beautiful thing. There's one tiny cosmetic issue that I just reached out to PRS Customer services about. If it's just cosmetic...I don't care...as long as it's not something that will worsen or structural in any way. I'm super stoked! I hope you feel the same!

I've got mine! :) Picked it up at L&M Vancouver on the 15th. I love it...BUT...it's definitely unique to my ears. Very bright and snappy. The high E string has a real "snap" to it. So much so that I was a little nervous for the first 5 minutes as I like to do the "rolled off" dark jazz type sound as one of my must have tones. The tone knob is my friend...and I absolutely love this guitar. I was shocked at how light it is...and the resonance and sustain in a beautiful thing. There's one tiny cosmetic issue that I just reached out to PRS Customer services about. If it's just cosmetic...I don't care...as long as it's not something that will worsen or structural in any way. I'm super stoked! I hope you feel the same!
Thanks for the reply and I am glad you are really digging your RF!

The few reviews I read seem to be in line with what you have experienced: that the RF definitely is a snappier and brighter animal than its regular McCarty counterpart. Everyone has also said that their RF is on the lighter side and resonant, which is also great; seems pretty consistent!

How are you liking the single coil tapped tones? Also, do you find the RF retains its attack/snap/clarity with some overdrive?

Thanks!

Jay

Does the RF have lighter wood or is it chambered?

Someone needs to slice and dice their RF and post pics of the pieces so that those of us who didn't score an RF can better know what we're missing ;)

Does the RF have lighter wood or is it chambered?

Someone needs to slice and dice their RF and post pics of the pieces so that those of us who didn't score an RF can better know what we're missing ;)
I work in healthcare....I suppose I could see if I could x-ray mine when I get it!

No word on chambering, but most examples I have seen are definitely on the lighter side.

Thanks for the reply and I am glad you are really digging your RF!

The few reviews I read seem to be in line with what you have experienced: that the RF definitely is a snappier and brighter animal than its regular McCarty counterpart. Everyone has also said that their RF is on the lighter side and resonant, which is also great; seems pretty consistent!

How are you liking the single coil tapped tones? Also, do you find the RF retains its attack/snap/clarity with some overdrive?

Thanks!

Jay
I'm just starting to put my focus on the split tones. So far I'm very happy with them. There is a significant volume drop with the tapped tones which is to be expected.

Regarding the attack, clarity and snap with overdrive tones....for me....I would say 100% yes. My feeling is that this guitar is not for everyone by a long shot. I think it shines for fusion, blues, rock, jazz, etc....but there is a "velvety"....deeply resonant feel that isn't perhaps the best for super aggressive tones. If I was told that this guitar is chambered...I would respond "Well, this makes total sense....between the tone, sustaining resonance and light weight...I had a feeling".

This guitar won't replace Strat, Tele, type tones...but of course it's not meant to. I guess the easiest way to communicate things...is that if you're a fan of Robben Ford...and the types of music he plays and his tone....then I think you're going to love this guitar. It's very distinct to my ears.

I don't know that buying one of these to flip it right away to make money makes sense. There are a couple places that still have at least one still in stock brand new.

Robben sure seems to like the guitar.

I'm a fan of Robben's playing and he mentions his "new" guitar often on his facebook page.

I don't think it's just because he makes a little money on it when one gets sold.

Guess we'll see if he's still playing it five years from now.

Robben sure seems to like the guitar.

I'm a fan of Robben's playing and he mentions his "new" guitar often on his facebook page.

I don't think it's just because he makes a little money on it when one gets sold.

Guess we'll see if he's still playing it five years from now.
I think from the actual guitar standpoint, he is very happy. He seems to still be tinkering with the pickups though (he had an instagram post with new pickups for his RF model sent to him by PRS).

From my point of view, as an owner of the guitar, it is truly one of the best I have ever owned and I would hesitate to change anything on mine.

I think from the actual guitar standpoint, he is very happy. He seems to still be tinkering with the pickups though (he had an instagram post with new pickups for his RF model sent to him by PRS).

From my point of view, as an owner of the guitar, it is truly one of the best I have ever owned and I would hesitate to change anything on mine.
Wonder if Robben's tried the 57/08's that guitar?

Back