Roasted Maple SE’s!

MichaelC24

Sucker for Squabbins
https://reverb.com/item/21850241-paul-reed-smith-se-custom-24-roasted-maple-lefty-grey-black

Seriously guys,
We need to figure out why Europe is getting these amazing limited runs!
Roasted Maple Necks on an SE?!?!?!?!

I’m still waiting for a dealer to order a damn run of the regular all maple necks, and now this?

C’mon Brian, Ish, Eddie, John! One of you please just help us poor Americans out and get us a proper run of these roasted maple SE’s. Yes I know all your past runs are amazing...I just simply want an all maple neck SE.

Thanks in advance,
-Michael

This is interesting. What's the difference between PRS's normal wood "drying process" that crystalizes all of the resins versus roasting? Aside from look, don't they both achieve the same result? I'm ignorant on this, so I'm more curious than anything.

https://reverb.com/item/21850241-paul-reed-smith-se-custom-24-roasted-maple-lefty-grey-black

Seriously guys,
We need to figure out why Europe is getting these amazing limited runs!
Roasted Maple Necks on an SE?!?!?!?!

I’m still waiting for a dealer to order a damn run of the regular all maple necks, and now this?

C’mon Brian, Ish, Eddie, John! One of you please just help us poor Americans out and get us a proper run of these roasted maple SE’s. Yes I know all your past runs are amazing...I just simply want an all maple neck SE.

Thanks in advance,
-Michael

I believe the dealers have to ask for certain special features on limited run SE guitars. Most that I’ve seen here in the States are just special tops on the bodies. Talk to a major dealer and see if they will do it.

Last edited:
New video from the guys @ Anderson’s.
These look & sound incredible. Went on their website and was really tempted to buy a Purple Burst....

I’m gonna hold out hope that a dealer in the states will do a run. I mean how can this not be a home run? I think they would sell, but what do I know....

This is interesting. What's the difference between PRS's normal wood "drying process" that crystalizes all of the resins versus roasting? Aside from look, don't they both achieve the same result? I'm ignorant on this, so I'm more curious than anything.

PRS store the wood in a warm room until moisture gets to the proper spec. Roasting or torrefying takes it to another level and bakes the wood until it is extremely dry. This solidifies the resins and seals the wood.

As for the terms, torrefy and roast are synonyms, but in terms of wood I think torrefication is technically heating the wood above burning temp, but in an oxygen deprived environment to avoid fire. Roasting is baking the wood at a lower temp. They seem to get used interchangeably, though.

One of the benefits of roasting maple is it no longer requires a finish. Good news for fans of unfinished necks. I hear the maple can still get grungy though, so I put a few coats of Tru-Oil on my roasted neck guitar for protection.

The other benefit is stability. I am only a sample of one of course, but my roasted neck guitar is easily the most stable guitar I've owned. My PRS guitars are stable, but the roasted guitar is in another league.

I'm a total convert so I'm glad to see more and more manufacturers getting in the game.

Normally mainly into the USA Core Models but the SE models are getting more and more intersting to me :)

The SE range does allow for PRS to experiment with relatively low cost. The factories where SE's are being made are using 'roasted' maple for necks on other manufacturers guitars and therefore must have the equipment necessary to do this process on a fairly large scale. Its a lot easier to just request that a certain batch are made with roasted maple necks to see how popular they are, how it changes the tone (if it does) and any other advantages/disadvantages that they may want to look at. Its a lot easier than building some type of 'oven/kiln' to do this process for their US built models and we don't know whether PRS may be looking into doing this on site or not.

The other thing that makes the SE range more 'interesting' for want of a better word is that this is includes a LOT of the Signature models - like the Zach Myers and Mark Holcombe guitars. The new Santana SC is the first SC with a Trem in the SE range so these add something different to 'stock' models. I don't believe that there is a Hollowbody or the 594 models either in SE - at least not yet.

I would pre order right now for a ZM Roasty with a Trem.... followed up by a no pickguard SE silver sky SSH with a roasted neck.... Take my Money!

Back