RITCHIE KOTZEN BUYS BACK HIS OLD PRS!!!

Apparently, Paul Gilbert called dibs on being Paul Gilbert first.

“So what happened in your case, Les?”

“I overslept on ‘pick your identity day’, and missed the first couple of rounds. I had to settle for a third round pick.

And apparently you weren’t Paul Gilbert’s replacement in Mr. Big (like Ritchie was). ;) Mr. Big’s one of my favorite bands; hence the comment. Sorry if my comment hijacked the thread; not my intent. Glad Ritchie got his guitar back. :)

Last edited:
And apparently you weren’t Paul Gilbert’s replacement in Mr. Big (like Ritchie was). ;) Mr. Big’s one of my favorite bands; hence the comment. Sorry if my comment hijacked the thread; not my intent. Glad Ritchie got his guitar back. :)
I didn’t know Ritchie replaced Paul. I’d always heard of Kotzen but never really heard him play until the Winery Dogs debut album. Now the Sheehan/Kotzen pairing makes perfect sense.

I didn’t know Ritchie replaced Paul. I’d always heard of Kotzen but never really heard him play until the Winery Dogs debut album. Now the Sheehan/Kotzen pairing makes perfect sense.

I first became aware of Billy Sheehan when he played for DLR. I liked the combination of him and Steve Vai, they seemed to compliment one another very well. Maybe just sounded better to my 19 year old ears at that time! I haven’t revisited that era of my life for many years!

Also sorry for hi-jacking the thread! Oops!!

Paul:

Ritchie:

Both, pretty damn impressive players. But Paul’s my 2nd favorite guitarist (You’re still #1, Nuno).

PG is def one of my favorite all time players. A lot in part due to his video lesson series called Intense Rock (I think). It was out on VHS, it's been a while.

I recently found out that he can only use a particular Makita these days due to everyone switching over the types of motors they use in the drills, lol.

Leave me outta this! I was making a joke that one guy can’t be the other guy! :rolleyes:

Until reading this thread I had never even heard of Mr. Big!

I first became aware of Billy Sheehan when he played for DLR. I liked the combination of him and Steve Vai, they seemed to compliment one another very well. Maybe just sounded better to my 19 year old ears at that time! I haven’t revisited that era of my life for many years!

Also sorry for hi-jacking the thread! Oops!!
Billy Sheehan is a monster. I don't know who else could hold a candle to Vai's superhuman chops. Stu Hamm, I guess. I thought the Vai/Sheehan/Roth/Bissonette lineup would have made more albums, but I guess there's only room for so much ego. All amazing in their own right, though. I just recently bought a remastered version of Passion & Warfare, and now my kids keep asking to hear "The Steven One"!

Billy Sheehan is a monster. I don't know who else could hold a candle to Vai's superhuman chops. Stu Hamm, I guess. I thought the Vai/Sheehan/Roth/Bissonette lineup would have made more albums, but I guess there's only room for so much ego. All amazing in their own right, though. I just recently bought a remastered version of Passion & Warfare, and now my kids keep asking to hear "The Steven One"!

My band opened for "The Fell", Billy's new(ish) band a couple of years ago. Outrageously entertaining to watch this guy.

Les, You need to get out more often. :p

Tell me about it! ;)

In the 80s music started being a niche thing; the Rock I was listening to was at the other end of the spectrum - Police, Men at Work, The Cure, The Cars, Tom Petty, Pretenders, Steve Winwood, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Clapton, etc., but my main non-classical musical interests were Fusion music, Electronica and World Beat.

So folks like Jean Michel Jarre, Jean Luc Ponty, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Pat Metheney, McLaughlin, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Kraftwerk, and a few others were my main fare.

However, in the 80s I got back into classical piano in a fairly serious way, so there was a lot of listening to the old RCA, Phillips and Deutsche Gramophon recordings by the greats. And Bach. Lots of Bach. I didn’t play guitar very much for several years.

That classical music excursion taught me the ins and outs of orchestration, so it was time well spent, and served me well when I finally took the leap into scoring to picture.

I did get out and listen to music, go to concerts, etc. It was just a different kind of music, and most of the concerts were at Orchestra Hall. :eek:

I still don’t relate to hard rock, metal, etc. (I respect these genres, just not my thing), though I did like Van Halen.

Last edited:
I'm taking on-line lessons with Paul at Artistworks.com. It's a blast! A great player and a great teacher!

I met him at a masterclass last month. Phenomenal player, but also one of the friendliest rock stars I have met to date - at the meet & greet (and signing my Fireman), he would actually come out from behind the table and shake the hand of the next person in line and invite you over to the table for signing.

Funnily enough, even though Paul is one of the best lead players in the world, his ArtistWorks lessons contribute immensely to my rhythm. The amount of time spent on analyzing the rhythm of the licks he teaches was really eye-opening.

PG is def one of my favorite all time players. A lot in part due to his video lesson series called Intense Rock (I think). It was out on VHS, it's been a while.

I recently found out that he can only use a particular Makita these days due to everyone switching over the types of motors they use in the drills, lol.

I'm taking on-line lessons with Paul at Artistworks.com. It's a blast! A great player and a great teacher!

Took a lesson from him this spring at Sweetwater. I must admit I was lost after the first 15 (ok...10) minutes, so I just sat back and watched in awe.

And before I catch hell, the shirt was a gift. :oops:

Had the same experience with him in Athens in 2010...
Let me find a pic...
DSCN3793.jpg

Last edited:
Its definitely cool that he was able to get his guitar back.

I love Paul Gilbert. I've got a couple of his CDs and the material is fabulous.

Back