RIP Sharon Jones

Discussion in 'Artists & Music' started by Dusty Chalk, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

2. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

Oh man... I first found out about Sharon from an issue of Tape Op magazine back in 2007 with an interview with the bassist from the Dap Kings, Bosco Mann. They were the band along with Mark Ronson that did the American release of the Amy Winehouse (Back to Black) album that instantly made me a fan of everyone involved.

When I read that they regularly worked out with this woman, Sharon Jones as their vocalist, I (along with my studio's engineer) found "!00 Days, 100 Nights" at a Tower Records and sat there transfixed, listening to over the big speakers, over and over again.

It was like finding some NOS soul record that you'd never heard. The sweetness of Ella, the power of Aretha, the funkiness of Chaka.. Sharon was a "great" that got overlooked, but never stopped bringin' the soul.

Miss you, girl. Never forget you.

Andyp, Lee B., bodia and 2 others like this.
  3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Well said! Gonna miss her.....

Andyp likes this.
  4. Lee B.

Lee B. I stitch my wings and pull the strings.

I was afraid we were going to lose her, she had been fighting cancer for a while. What a dynamo! I think my favorite video of her is a Dap Kings set in Paris, where she demonstrated a bunch of 60s dances in kitten heels at Tina Turner pace. I loved her turn on Live From Daryl's House, too. Hope he puts that episode up for folks to watch again!

Andyp likes this.
  5. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

She was awesome.

Andyp and Dusty Chalk like this.