RIP, Roy Clark

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by watelessness, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Big Mike

Big Mike This space for rent

Yep

Weekly at grandmas.
    Heroes are moving on in droves

2. Mark Ray

Mark Ray New Member

Dude was an absolute monster! What I really liked about him is he had a grin form ear to ear when he was playing-THAT'S what it's about ya'll!

3. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Safford's 15 seconds of fame!

HANGAR18 likes this.
  4. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

Sick! 'I'm a-pickin!'

5. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

Dang..another incredible talent has left us behind...truly one of the all time greats....he was such an amazing musician. The man was a flippin beast on anything with strings!! He's gone, but his legacy will be with us forever...there is a litte part of me that finds comfort in knowing that. RIP Roy Clark.:(

#25 ScottR, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Lee B. likes this.
  6. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

Wow...big loss...killer player. I remember seeing him as a young child and enjoying his playing, always fun, always smiling.

Lee B. and ScottR like this.
  7. ScottR

Okay for anyone that doesn't already know, this is what "Beast Mode" looks like when activated!
    And look who it is.I love the way Johnny Cash manages to stick it to the "man" during his intro. Don't put me in a bag man....

Hmmm, I never knew he was a snazzy dresser too...I really dig the hat...

#27 ScottR, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Lee B., Lister and drjenkins like this.
  8. Lister

Lister Playing guitar badly since the 70's...

Such a monster player, if it had strings, Roy could play it. Like many of us that are of a certain age, I watched him on Hee Haw with back in the day. Something I didn't know about Roy, was that he was a gearhead. He owned and raced a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere 1 426 Hemi car that he named, "Super Picker."
    Rest Easy.

Lee B. and ScottR like this.
  9. ScottR

Cool...I did not know that. Kinda makes sense though...guitars and cool cars are kinda like milk and cookies...only waaaay better.:(

I gotta take the time to research him a bit more. I really enjoy little factoids like the gearhead thing. It kinda gives me a better understanding of what makes a guy like Roy Clark tick..yeah I know I'm a spec dork even with people .:confused:

Lister and Glide-bpm like this.
  10. IKnowALittle

IKnowALittle New Member

Awesome to see all the love for Roy Clark. Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised. Thought most would consider him a hick or "cornpone."
    I remember in 1983, my dad brought Roy, Bobby Thompson, Kenny Price and a couple of other guys (whom I can't recall) home for dinner and a night of pickin' and drinkin'.
    I was only 13, but it turned into quite the party as I vaguely recall.
    :)

There were lots of pictures, autographs and what-nots. Back then they were souvenirs, not memorabilia or collectables.
    Together, my dad and I had a ton of memorabilia, unfortunately we lost it all in a fire in 2010.

Lister, veinbuster, bodia and 3 others like this.
  11. ScottR

That is too cool man! That's what I call an awesome life event! I totally get the memrobillia thing...sadly all the music stuff my dad and I collected was destroyed in a 2011 when my moms place was destroyed by a tornado...Including a 61-62 White falcon and a Chect Adkins Sig. That belonged to my grandfather, and eventually my father. Also an ungorgettable life event. Sucks but at least I still have what was most important anyway. Some really epic memories with my pop.

I've always said David Gilmour was #1 in on my list. I still stand by that, especially for that tone. However, the first musician that ever held my undivided attetion was Roy Clark. I was practically catatonic when I watched him on the Odd Couple when he played Magdalena.:eek: I may have been 7-8 and asked I my dad for a guitar right after Roy was done.. I got sentenced to music appreciation aka piano lessons instead :mad: that I eventually sabotaged...BTW:cool: So, yeah he was really the beginning of all of this for me.

Looking back, I turned away from anything considered country.... Being from the "deep south" that was no easy task, I can assure you! But I managed.

In retrospect, I should have acknowledged his massive infuence on me as early as I can recall. The man was and will always be one of the greatest players in at least the last century and IMHO he's one of the absolute masters of the the craft...at least to me anyway. Thanks for sharing that! Good stuff!

#31 ScottR, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018