RIP: Neil Peart

The amazing thing about this, is that without "RUSH" playing the music, it draws the focus to the lyrics in a way I've never experienced before. I've heard this song a million times. I think the words hit harder this time than every other one put together. Very emotional performance for the true hard core Rush fan.

Thanks for sharing that!

That was almost exactly the same thought I had - the focus is totally on the lyrics in this one, and the way those guys deliver it gives it a different emotional impact. Kind of reminds me of two things - Tori Amos's cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit", and a review I read of an album I believe was called Trapped In The Jungle. The premise was a band was stranded in the wild somewhere, but somehow sheet music for the pop hits of the day found their way to them, so they made recordings of the songs w/no knowledge of the originals, so all the ballads became up-tempo rockers, and the fast songs became ballads. The review said something like, "The results are mostly humorous, but the Cars' 'Just What I Needed' is a heartbreaker here."

You bet!

I had the same reaction as you guys. Totally into the lyrics, and, indeed, very emotional.

Still can’t quite wrap my head around it.
I haven’t tried yet. Just don’t want too. :( In a very short time, my two all time musical geniuses have died, and now another one that was right up there with them. Keith Emerson, Alan Holdsworth and now Neil. WTF is next??? Van Halen and Ozzie??? :mad:

Saw the post. Can’t quite bring myself to watch it yet.

Still can’t quite wrap my head around it.

I haven’t tried yet. Just don’t want too. :( In a very short time, my two all time musical geniuses have died, and now another one that was right up there with them. Keith Emerson, Alan Holdsworth and now Neil. WTF is next??? Van Halen and Ozzie??? :mad:

You should watch it. It's really well done, and totally from a fan perspective. He really makes you realize why Neil was the best. Literally, I have not listened to anything but Rush on my afternoon dogs walks since he passed. Kind of taking me on a little time trip. Listening to all of their albums, multiple times, has really been cathartic, reliving my youth, bringing back some great memories, etc. Celebrate!

You should watch it. It's really well done, and totally from a fan perspective. He really makes you realize why Neil was the best. Literally, I have not listened to anything but Rush on my afternoon dogs walks since he passed. Kind of taking me on a little time trip. Listening to all of their albums, multiple times, has really been cathartic, reliving my youth, bringing back some great memories, etc. Celebrate!

I've tapered off my listening a bit, but every time I hear a song or see a video, it still strikes me as being unreal. I'm not entirely sure why - like DTR, he's not my first musical idol to die. Not even my biggest. Definitely not the most tragic or untimely. But it seems to be the one that won't quite sink in yet.

Crap...yup...I'll still realize, at very odd times, like mid-song sometimes, that he's gone...and just say "#$%#$%^#$!!!!!!!!
Saw them many, many times, and was actually happy for them they retired.
At work, I have a lot of older, retired Inspectors, from other companies, working for me, and have lost a few over the last couple years.

In Pittsburgh, the last thing I said to Geddy at his book signing was "Enjoy your Retirement"...

I have not listened to anything but Rush on my afternoon dogs walks since he passed. Kind of taking me on a little time trip. Listening to all of their albums, multiple times, has really been cathartic, reliving my youth, bringing back some great memories, etc. Celebrate!

I did that for a couple weeks and then have weirdly avoided it for a while so I don't have to think about it. Still don't want to accept it.

I've tapered off my listening a bit, but every time I hear a song or see a video, it still strikes me as being unreal. I'm not entirely sure why - like DTR, he's not my first musical idol to die. Not even my biggest. Definitely not the most tragic or untimely. But it seems to be the one that won't quite sink in yet.

Since the first time I heard "All The World's A Stage" when I was 16, they have never fallen out of my top 3 bands ever. And of course, I've seen them more than double the amount of times of any other favorite band, even Dream Theater. I think that video by the Navy group did me in for a while. I just needed a break after that one.

Back