RIP Dusty Hill

I've lived in Texas all my 61 years I've been alive, and I never got to see ZZ Top live.

The main reason I really never had a chance to, was that from 1980 to 2009, I played music every weekend.

Any free time I had was spent with my wife and son.

I had planned on seeing them when they were to pass through town later this year, but unfortunately that will no longer happen.

RIP Dusty

You'll be missed fellow Texan

225993370_372205791139755_8119692467321591778_n.jpg

Glad I had the chance to see them live back in '03 with Ted Nugent as the opener. Ditto on the telepathically connected. I've never seen a band that made playing together seem so easy while being so exactingly tight. RIP Dusty Hill.

I discovered their first three albums very late in life (or recently if you want to look at it that way) and now that is my favorite version of ZZ Top.

I've lived in Texas all my 61 years I've been alive, and I never got to see ZZ Top live.

The main reason I really never had a chance to, was that from 1980 to 2009, I played music every weekend.

Any free time I had was spent with my wife and son.

I had planned on seeing them when they were to pass through town later this year, but unfortunately that will no longer happen.

RIP Dusty

You'll be missed fellow Texan

225993370_372205791139755_8119692467321591778_n.jpg

The first time I ever drove across Texas, I was blasting ZZ TOP's greatest hits the whole distance.

This is just a gut punch for all who love that good ol' Texas-swagger rock 'n' roll. Oof, what a loss.

I 'discovered' the Top when Fandango came out in 1975. I was in Jr High... I remember writing "ZZ TOP" on my jeans with a ball point pen...
Been a huge fan ever since. Even after my musical journey through motown, rock, jazz, progressive jazz & rock, '80s', Bass-centric music, etc... I've still enjoyed just about everything those boys put out. Even more the last few years. About All I listen to in my vehicles any more is ZZ...
Way back in 2012, I think it was my Bday weekend (?), we drove up to the Fender factory for the tour. After the tour, we mentioned to the tour guide that my wife missed a lot of it because she couldn't see over the crowd. (she's not tall...) He then proceeded to take us back thru for a 'private' tour, which was very cool!
Not only did we get introduced to Abigail, he showed us a couple of custom shop basses they just finished for Dusty Hill! (amongst many other very cool things,,,)
I searched for years, but never found a pic of him playing one of these, but it was still so very cool...
hFFCC8h.jpg
pFfwcH6.jpg

EtXwTeB.jpg
8VbliBR.jpg

If you haven't seen the 'rockumentery' they put out in 2019 - "ZZ Top - That little old band from Texas", you really, really should... it's fabulous!
It was inevitable that they wouldn't last forever, but it still hurts like hell....
If anybody ever asks you what it takes to be a great bass player, just tell them to play like Dusty Hill...

I 'discovered' the Top when Fandango came out in 1975. I was in Jr High... I remember writing "ZZ TOP" on my jeans with a ball point pen...
Been a huge fan ever since. Even after my musical journey through motown, rock, jazz, progressive jazz & rock, '80s', Bass-centric music, etc... I've still enjoyed just about everything those boys put out. Even more the last few years. About All I listen to in my vehicles any more is ZZ...
Way back in 2012, I think it was my Bday weekend (?), we drove up to the Fender factory for the tour. After the tour, we mentioned to the tour guide that my wife missed a lot of it because she couldn't see over the crowd. (she's not tall...) He then proceeded to take us back thru for a 'private' tour, which was very cool!
Not only did we get introduced to Abigail, he showed us a couple of custom shop basses they just finished for Dusty Hill! (amongst many other very cool things,,,)
I searched for years, but never found a pic of him playing one of these, but it was still so very cool...
hFFCC8h.jpg
pFfwcH6.jpg

EtXwTeB.jpg
8VbliBR.jpg

If you haven't seen the 'rockumentery' they put out in 2019 - "ZZ Top - That little old band from Texas", you really, really should... it's fabulous!
It was inevitable that they wouldn't last forever, but it still hurts like hell....
If anybody ever asks you what it takes to be a great bass player, just tell them to play like Dusty Hill...
I missed that doc. Just ordered the Blu-Ray. I was fortunate enough to see them somewhere between 6 and 10 times, starting with the Afterburner Tour. Always a great show.

fwiw, El Loco & Deguello are still my favorite albums of theirs... and the cover of El Loco is my very favorite!
The guitar tones on those is pretty much perfect imho...

hFFCC8h.jpg
pFfwcH6.jpg

EtXwTeB.jpg
8VbliBR.jpg

Those are some cool basses. I like how Dusty would use that single coil Tele type pickup. I want to try that someday.

Oh man!

Agree on the Netflix documentary, really enjoyed it.

Back