RIP BOB WELCH 6/7/12

tdarian

Searching for the sound
Sorry to report this. Bare Trees was an influence, and I liked the way this guy played.

Tom

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -
Bob Welch, a former member of the band Fleetwood Mac, was found dead at his Nashville home Thursday.

A Metro police spokesperson said Welch's wife found him dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest at his home on Blue Hole Road in Antioch around 12:15 p.m.

He was 66 years old.

The police spokesperson said Welch recently had health issues but did not elaborate.

Welch was a guitarist for Fleetwood Mac in the early 1970s before the group achieved supergroup status with the albums Fleetwood Mac in 1975 and Rumours in 1977.

He was not among the members inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

Welch had a briefly successful solo career in the late 1970s. His singles included "Hot Love, Cold World", "Ebony Eyes", "Precious Love", and "Sentimental Lady."

Yes - heard the news tonight on the drive home - we wore out "Bare Trees" in college, and then five years later with his solo album "French Kiss." RIP

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad news. May he RIP.

I always enjoyed his playing. I thought he was tasteful and understated. He was a long time Gibson guy, and in this video of a 'mini Fleetwood Mac reunion' at one of his gigs he's playing a Gibson RD. I don't think many of those ever saw much stage time.

Goldtop

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the Bob Welch-era Fleetwood Mac albums a lot. "Bare Trees" and the Penguin album are both pretty good, and I really liked "Mystery To Me", which I feel is/was very under-rated. Actually, I saw FM live not long after Mystery To Me came out, and it was a very good show, even if that version of FM was on the verge of breaking up.

Back