Ric Osasek....Thanks.....

My gosh, My best friend girl maybe the perfect pop song. Elliott Easton my favorite soloist. The band was so cool because it was kind of a new wave thing but everyone loved it. An amazing debut album. From what I've heard, they worked for years before they found this success so it was no overnight thing.

RIP Ric. I saw The Cars on the Heartbeat City tour (Dallas, TX 35 years ago last Tuesday - wow!). Good times!
Ric wrote some killer songs!

Last edited:
When I was 16 or so my Scout troop drove to Guaymas Mexico to go scuba diving. The Scoutmaster forgot to pack his music for the trip so all we had was whatever was in the cassette player in the truck. He had just purchased a new one, The Cars. It was 450 miles one way from our place to Guaymas. We thought it was great stuff for the first 8 hours. By the last 8 it was getting old...

Can't hear "Moving in Stereo" now without remembering the Sonoran Desert going by the passenger side window.

RIP Ric. Those first two albums are masterpieces in my mind. What a way to make an entrance. Panorama didn’t make the same impact on me, but Shake It Up and Heartbeat City May just rank with the first two.

Sad to think what the musical landscape is going to look like in 15-20 years for fans of that generation of music. We’re eventually going to be down to just Keith Richards and Ozzy!

Sad news, indeed. Have to admit, I was shocked when they said he was 75. That made it a little easier to swallow. I was thinking he was in his mid 60s.

Hopefully Ric is rallying ‘round Jah throne and made it to Mt. Zion.

What a rad guy. Punk rockers and hardcore kids (well, okay, more like 40 yr olds now) have always had a soft spot and a sense of respect for him for what he did for our little community. When he produced Rock for Light (on his own dime) for Bad Brains it was a gift, a truly selfless act for a generation of street kids, and his involvement brought an immediate legitimacy to the genre.

Sad news. Emotion In Motion is a special song in my house. Ever since my kiddo was old enough to rough-house, we would select a bunch of tunes on my jukebox and pillow-fight. It was almost a daily ritual for a long time. Emotion In Motion was her favourite. To this day, it's 'our song'.

RIP Ric .
My very first compact disc was the Cars Greatest hits from the fall of 1985.
That first album though was almost a greatest hits all by itself.

Back