RIBS!

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
Yes sir....barbecue. Ribs pictured, but I also did club steaks, chicken wings, drumsticks, salmon,burgers and hotdogs. Baked potatoes as well. Perfect day to stand around the grill station. :D

PSA: If you play the video with the sound on, you may hear some politically incorrect sh*t. But, it is my sauce, so I get to name it :p So There :cool:

100898452_10163622883800331_7206993004299550720_n.jpg

100807417_10163622884005331_8084983258468581376_n.jpg

101057621_10163622884155331_6984845828187750400_n.jpg

99131849_10163622884300331_8469922455446618112_n.jpg

101413667_10163622884425331_173590191418638336_n.jpg

100683035_10163622914315331_2669178198570303488_o.jpg

Looking good, sir! Ribs are one thing I still don't feel like I've mastered on the grill. It still feels like a 50-50 proposition as to whether they're going to turn out good or not.

Looking good, sir! Ribs are one thing I still don't feel like I've mastered on the grill. It still feels like a 50-50 proposition as to whether they're going to turn out good or not.
I'm using an offset smoker grill. Otherwise, it's difficult to slow cook them. And they end up getting dried out and tough. For me it's better to not have the coals directly up underneath the meat. But just to let the smoke fill up the grill from the side chamber, and let that heat sit at around 250 to 275. That way you can go low and slow and not worry about burning it or drying it out. That is why there are two grills. For your regular stuff like burgers and chicken wings, I kind of like heat directly under the meat to sear the outside. But that's just how I do it. I seen so many different ways that people do it that it turns out good that I guess it's all a matter of what technique you learn.

It has honey and habanero peppers too. So it is a sweet-heat kind of feel.

Nice! We grow habaneros every year in our garden. The wife makes a slammin' sauce in the fall that my buddies crave. She alternates every other year with mango or peaches. Molasses, yellow mustard, brown sugar, and a couple of other things. Awesome stuff.

I'm using an offset smoker grill. Otherwise, it's difficult to slow cook them. And they end up getting dried out and tough. For me it's better to not have the coals directly up underneath the meat. But just to let the smoke fill up the grill from the side chamber, and let that heat sit at around 250 to 275. That way you can go low and slow and not worry about burning it or drying it out. That is why there are two grills. For your regular stuff like burgers and chicken wings, I kind of like heat directly under the meat to sear the outside. But that's just how I do it. I seen so many different ways that people do it that it turns out good that I guess it's all a matter of what technique you learn.

We have a propane grill, and lately I've been doing lower heat on one side, ribs on the other. Flip every 30 minutes. They've been better that way, but still not quite where I'd like them to be. I'm with you on the burgers being directly over the heat. I'm not sure if that's how my son does steaks when he does them - I think so. At some point, I'll get them figured out! Ribs have always seemed to me to be one of those either/or things - they're good or they're not. They're never just so-so. And that goes for getting them out, too - there are a handful of places we'll order ribs and anywhere else, they just aren't worth it.

It has honey and habanero peppers too. So it is a sweet-heat kind of feel.

I have not watched the video, so I missed this bit. On the rare occasion we go to Buffalo Wild Wings, mango habanero is my go-to wing sauce there. At my favorite place, the sauce is now called Killer, but it used to be Caribbean Killer - a nice, really hot sauce with a tinge of citrus to it. Heat with flavor. I've had sauces that were pure heat, and in my mind, that misses the point. I like having flavor with the heat. For a thicker, tomato-based BBQ sauce that I like on chops, chicken, ribs, and kielbasa, there's a local guy whose stuff I've been eating for almost 40 years across four or five restaurants. My buddy has pretty much reverse engineered the sauce and makes his own now that's pretty close, although he holds back on the heat because he gives most of it away. I have not found many commercially bottled sauces that I can take - my favorite is a mix of two Famous Dave's sauces - Devil's Spit with a bit of Wilbur's Revenge for heat.

the sauce is now called Killer, but it used to be Caribbean Killer
LOL....mine is far less politically correct than that....lol

I've had sauces that were pure heat, and in my mind, that misses the point.
Yep. I hate that whether it be wings, or chili or even HOT sauce.....heat for the sake of heat with no flavor is useless to me. I feel like the point of the heat it to enhance-----waaaaaaiiiit for it------the FLAVOR! lol

This has a nice balance of kick, sweet and tart flavor, and lingering mouth feel. Took two seasons to get it just how I like it....but I have been making it this way for years now.

250 to 275. That way you can go low and slow and not worry about burning it or drying it out. That is why there are two grills.

Great post!

I thought you were going to say the 2nd grill was for the slow cook, that's how a friend does it and he's the best BBQ man I've ever met (Texas style). One grill high heat to sear the meat and seal the moisture, then to the other for slow cook @ 225 with all the coals pushed to one side and the meat on the other side. He started early AM and slow cooked for hours, fall off the bone ribs.

Like you he wouldn't give out his sauce recipe either:(, although he said Stubbs was the closest thing to Tex BBQ sauce. .....is that true?

although he said Stubbs was the closest thing to Tex BBQ sauce. .....is that true?
I couldn't tell you how they do it in Texas. My cooking is more of a mash up of hillbilly and midwestern. Grew up in WV and OH for most of my childhood with a little CA mixed in there. I was an adult when I moved to PA. :cool:

Propane, and hopefully more than one burner? If so, try this next time. If you have multiple burners, just use one. Set it to wherever it needs to be to maintain 250. Put the ribs over the burner that is not turned on. Also, put a water pan over the burner that you are using. That will help keep them from drying out. Now, shut the lid of the grill and walk away for 2 hours. Do not open the lid. Do not touch the ribs. After two hours, remove the ribs and put them on some aluminum foil. Pour in a bottle of your favorite beer. Wrap the ribs. Put them back over the turned off burner for 90 minutes, and walk away. After 90 minutes, remove them from the foil, and put them back over the turned off burner. Let them go for another 90 minutes without touching them (if you like to mop sauce on them while still cooking, then do that twice, starting after 30 minutes). After that 90 minutes is up, eat! Thank me later.

Propane, and hopefully more than one burner? If so, try this next time. If you have multiple burners, just use one. Set it to wherever it needs to be to maintain 250. Put the ribs over the burner that is not turned on. Also, put a water pan over the burner that you are using. That will help keep them from drying out. Now, shut the lid of the grill and walk away for 2 hours. Do not open the lid. Do not touch the ribs. After two hours, remove the ribs and put them on some aluminum foil. Pour in a bottle of your favorite beer. Wrap the ribs. Put them back over the turned off burner for 90 minutes, and walk away. After 90 minutes, remove them from the foil, and put them back over the turned off burner. Let them go for another 90 minutes without touching them (if you like to mop sauce on them while still cooking, then do that twice, starting after 30 minutes). After that 90 minutes is up, eat! Thank me later.
I tried to cook on a propane grill for about a year. It wasn't "quite" the same to me even with the wood chip basket. I just got used to coals from my preteen years. So that is how I have always done it. I couldn't have given even a little advice on the propane thing. Though I have had some good ribs and GREAT brisket off of a gas grill (it just wasn't me that cooked it....lol)

I tried to cook on a propane grill for about a year. It wasn't "quite" the same to me even with the wood chip basket. I just got used to coals from my preteen years. So that is how I have always done it. I couldn't have given even a little advice on the propane thing. Though I have had some good ribs and GREAT brisket off of a gas grill (it just wasn't me that cooked it....lol)
Yeah, I agree. It's not quite the same. They still fall off the bone, but it is missing what you get from a big old chunk of charcoal. I don't use the propane grill for ribs anymore. I'm a wood pellet grill convert for just about everything.

Yes. Two burners. Did it just like you described in the first part minus the water - I'll definitely be adding that next time. I will definitely have to try this soon - maybe next weekend.

LOL....mine is far less politically correct than that....lol

You didn't have to sell me on it - I was going to watch the video when I'm done working! :p

Yep. I hate that whether it be wings, or chili or even HOT sauce.....heat for the sake of heat with no flavor is useless to me. I feel like the point of the heat it to enhance-----waaaaaaiiiit for it------the FLAVOR! lol

This has a nice balance of kick, sweet and tart flavor, and lingering mouth feel. Took two seasons to get it just how I like it....but I have been making it this way for years now.

Sounds like I need to make a return trip to Philly one of these days...

I tend to like my sauce hotter than a lot of people. I have to watch when I make chili - my wife doesn't like it nearly as hot as I do. The waitresses where I get my favorite wings used to ask me how I could stand it - I'd eat my five wings, dipped in extra sauce, without touching my drink. It just works better this way.

There used to be a place that did wraps and quesadillas a block from where I work. We were regulars there. They had a hot habanero sauce that we just loved. A buddy of mine got more of that sauce than anyone - partly because he was having issues w/his sense of smell, so it wasn't as hot to him. They used to tell us "say when" when they added the sauce, and he got a lot of double takes. There were several times where they went to wrap his and had to step back because of the smell of the sauce. One day we went there with another friend who had worked with us at the place we worked before. John got his usual wrap with all the hot sauce. Brian said, "Give me one just like his." The guy behind the counter said, "Dude, no." John said, "Dude, seriously - don't do this. You're not going to be able to take it." Brian said, "Nah - I got this." We all said, "Seriously - don't." But he insisted. By the time he was done with the first half, his shirt was soaked with sweat from the bottom of his rib cage down, his face and ears were red, and he could barely talk.

Back