Rewound pickups. Anyone ever done it?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Johnny Rigs, May 25, 2021.

1. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs "Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson

Yes, crazy talk.

So I just got a set of uncovered gold VB/HFS pickups to complete my white 'n gold PTC Floyd makeover. I personally love the uncovered "squabbin" look. And now I have an extra set. There's another pickup maker I'd like to try at some point (Wolfetone), but this bobbin shape is obviously unique to PRS and not a part that's sold on its own.

Has anyone used a donor set of squabbins to have rewound by their pickup maker of choice? I'm assuming it's possible, but haven't confirmed that it actually is.

2. Aahzz

Aahzz Bluebeard Member

I haven't done that, but I've had Wolfetone pickups and they're awesome. Wolfe is also excellent with the customer service, drop him an email and ask, he'll get back to you quickly.

SinSir and Johnny Rigs like this.
  3. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

I second Wolfe as the best! His pickups sound amazing and there isn't a better person to deal with. Honestly, his Dr V/Marshallhead combo is one of the rare sets that rivals or surpasses my love for the PRS 59/09. I don't know if he still does this or ever really did, but I read the other day on a forum that he used to do rewinds for you too. I don't know if that is factual or not. I can say he's nailed some custom winds for me that I couldn't be happier with. Drop him a line or give him a call... You'll be glad you did!

bodia and Johnny Rigs like this.
  4. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 New Member

Most builders will do rewinds, I actually wind my own pickups (for the mostpart) and started out by stripping and rewinding the stock pickups in a lot of my guitars - some have never been swapped out since. as long as the bobbins are clean and free from any rough edges ita actually quite simple to do.

SinSir and Johnny Rigs like this.
  5. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc Confirmed Bird Snob

I scored some rewound 408 pickups and sent them to a buddy of mine. Still have no idea how they sound. He hasn’t told me if his luthier put them in yet.

Johnny Rigs likes this.
  6. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs "Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson

Yeah the Dr. V + Marshallhead combo was what I was thinking about. I talked to him a while back about a high-output recommendation, and he was not only very nice to communicate with, he also offered to take the pickups back and tweak them if they didn't fit my need. I ended up finding a squabbin \m/ from a forum member at the same time, so I couldn't help myself but go that route. But I've been wanting to give Wolfetone my business ever since.

Fullmoon 1971, Aahzz and SinSir like this.
  7. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

The \m/ is a pickup on my list. I was on the hunt last year for a set but ended up going with some DW tomahawks instead. Another great set of pickups.

When I had Wolfe do the custom winds with the offer to rewind for me was a no brainer. 0nce I thought about taking him up on that when I was going for a bit more polite sound than usual for a guitar. Then I put it in a SG and that pickup is never going anywhere!

I should also add Wolfe has consistently been the fastest turnaround time too. Good price, product, and service plus fast.. almost unheard if these days.

Fullmoon 1971 likes this.
  8. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc Confirmed Bird Snob

I’ve had a couple uncovered \m/ pickups and they were great. I recently purchased a set of covered ones to go on my Swamp Ash Special. Looking forward to how those rock out.

Fullmoon 1971 and SinSir like this.